Stomach goes gargle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can definitely see that. Is she eating more by now? I hope so!
Sigh no... im going to have to call the vet on Monday if her appetite doesn’t get better because right now a bird eats more then her.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sigh no... im going to have to call the vet on Monday if her appetite doesn’t get better because right now a bird eats more then her.
Will your vet be in tomorrow? If Meow Meow's eating so little it would be worth asking for ideas on what else you could try. Cerenia is good for preventing vomiting but it's not an appetite enhancer.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will your vet be in tomorrow? If Meow Meow's eating so little it would be worth asking for ideas on what else you could try. Cerenia is good for preventing vomiting but it's not an appetite enhancer.
Ugh yea for some reason my brain was convinced that yesterday was Friday. I think meow meow is just throwing a tantrum for me putting pills down her throat but I’ll pop an email over to the vet. We are looking into getting her some new dry food, but having a hard time finding one we are happy with. They don’t list kibble sizes on bags. I called chewy and they recommended 2 different ones. I’ll try to post the links to them in alittle bit when I start up my computer.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t about the first one, it’s the same brand we have now so I don’t think the kibble size is going to be much different. At least the second one is a different shape. Could always try to go back to her old brand it has a different shape as well. Purenia (sp) sensitive stomach

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I broke down and gave her the beef flavor she asked me for breakfast twice. 🥳

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I broke down and gave her the beef flavor she asked me for breakfast twice. 🥳
And there you go! I'm figuring she ate the beef and is doing okay? It's totally possible that she got tired of the baby food and chicken Sheba.

I'm not a fan of dry food -- other than Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein chicken food, which we use as a snack/topper because it's a very, very simple recipe with no fillers -- so will just say that I think the Blue Buffalo ingredients look a little better than the Natural Balance ingredients. Both those foods have stuff our cats can't or won't eat.

In other news: You're not alone. I also went through much of yesterday also thinking it was Friday. 🤦‍♀️ At least we have a snow day today so I have an excuse for not doing much work!

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And there you go! I'm figuring she ate the beef and is doing okay? It's totally possible that she got tired of the baby food and chicken Sheba.

I'm not a fan of dry food -- other than Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein chicken food, which we use as a snack/topper because it's a very, very simple recipe with no fillers -- so will just say that I think the Blue Buffalo ingredients look a little better than the Natural Balance ingredients. Both those foods have stuff our cats can't or won't eat.

In other news: You're not alone. I also went through much of yesterday also thinking it was Friday. 🤦‍♀️ At least we have a snow day today so I have an excuse for not doing much work!
Only thing I worry about with the blue buffalo is it looks like the same size and shape is currently has, which means she will have a problem eating it. The vet did suggest Purina Pro and I think I might give it a go, its got different shapes so maybe it will be easier for her to get ahold of.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have a "whatever works" situation. How is Meow Meow today?
Ugh.. the only thing she wants to eat is the treats.... as if I didn't have enough stress going on haha

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh.. the only thing she wants to eat is the treats.... as if I didn't have enough stress going on haha
I'm figuring you've already tried feeding her all the various foods you have, right? She really needs to eat, ideally more than the treats. Did she get fluids the last time she was at the vet's? Not eating for so long can make a cat dehydrated, which can make them feel worse.

It sounds like Meow Meow needs something (medication) for her appetite. I remember reading somewhere that it can be a cruel trick to give a cat an anti-vomit drug (like Cerenia) without an appetite drug so the cat will actually eat. Sometimes you only need one but sometimes you need both.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm figuring you've already tried feeding her all the various foods you have, right? She really needs to eat, ideally more than the treats. Did she get fluids the last time she was at the vet's? Not eating for so long can make a cat dehydrated, which can make them feel worse.

It sounds like Meow Meow needs something (medication) for her appetite. I remember reading somewhere that it can be a cruel trick to give a cat an anti-vomit drug (like Cerenia) without an appetite drug so the cat will actually eat. Sometimes you only need one but sometimes you need both.
I got some new food ordered online for her but wont be here for a few days. Her not eating much for a little while isn't to out of the ordinary so I'm not to worried YET.... She seemed to go through stages of eat alot, not eat much, eat alot, etc... I did get her to eat some turkey wet food and still drinking water on her own. But I will write myself a sticky note to get in touch with the vet. I've had to much stress my migraines are way out of control and sticky notes are saving me right now, also this forum for keeping me going. I think I'm in a burnt out stage, and not just because of her.
Update: I mixed up the flavors again and shes eating more again, I guess shes really burnt out on chicken.... now I wish I would of ordered her the lamb dry food instead of chicken... but I have no idea if she would like lamb.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got some new food ordered online for her but wont be here for a few days. Her not eating much for a little while isn't to out of the ordinary so I'm not to worried YET.... She seemed to go through stages of eat alot, not eat much, eat alot, etc... I did get her to eat some turkey wet food and still drinking water on her own. But I will write myself a sticky note to get in touch with the vet. I've had to much stress my migraines are way out of control and sticky notes are saving me right now, also this forum for keeping me going. I think I'm in a burnt out stage, and not just because of her.
Update: I mixed up the flavors again and shes eating more again, I guess shes really burnt out on chicken.... now I wish I would of ordered her the lamb dry food instead of chicken... but I have no idea if she would like lamb.
Our Ireland also eats more, eats less... I think it's because she has a tendency to get constipated.

I'm glad Meow Meow has started eating more again! They really can get burnt out on foods if they only one or two things. Ours do okay with, say, just chicken as long as they get different brands of foods with chicken.

I'm sorry your migraines have gotten so bad. But I hear you about notes saving you -- I make lots of lists when I get stressed and that really helps. It's especially stressful when cats barf and/or won't eat... even if everything else is pretty much okay, it's so hard to know what to do for the cats.

Anyway, fingers crossed again that she'll continue to eat more. I hope the new food arrives soon! And that your migraines get better!

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update for today: she ate a pretty good breakfast but hasn't eaten anything since, kind of like yesterday. So I'm hoping she will want more later in the evening like yesterday. I've still been mixing up the flavors. Her gi track is still making alot of noise and I feel a bit scared for when she out of the anti-vomit meds, she has 3 days left. Her new dry food says it will be here on the 25th.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update for today: she ate a pretty good breakfast but hasn't eaten anything since, kind of like yesterday. So I'm hoping she will want more later in the evening like yesterday. I've still been mixing up the flavors. Her gi track is still making alot of noise and I feel a bit scared for when she out of the anti-vomit meds, she has 3 days left. Her new dry food says it will be here on the 25th.
Well, if breakfast is the most important meal of the day, at least she's off to a good start. Keep offering her food but if she ate a decent size meal, she may be able to hold out for much of the day, particularly after having been fed only twice a day for so long.

I so understand feeling scared about the day the Cerenia runs out. Do you think the vet has any idea of what is wrong? Or what to try to solve the problem? At some point they need to at least come up with a provisional diagnosis and plan for treating whatever they think is wrong. Digestive issues are notoriously hard to crack but I hope they have some ideas for after Cerenia. (It is apparently very safe but it doesn't really solve anything at the root of the problem, it just keeps the cat from vomiting. Then again, it can help "reset" a cat's stomach... At least it can have that effect for Edwina, calming things down enough so she can eat normally again and feel better.)

Here's hoping today continues to go well!

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, if breakfast is the most important meal of the day, at least she's off to a good start. Keep offering her food but if she ate a decent size meal, she may be able to hold out for much of the day, particularly after having been fed only twice a day for so long.

I so understand feeling scared about the day the Cerenia runs out. Do you think the vet has any idea of what is wrong? Or what to try to solve the problem? At some point they need to at least come up with a provisional diagnosis and plan for treating whatever they think is wrong. Digestive issues are notoriously hard to crack but I hope they have some ideas for after Cerenia. (It is apparently very safe but it doesn't really solve anything at the root of the problem, it just keeps the cat from vomiting. Then again, it can help "reset" a cat's stomach... At least it can have that effect for Edwina, calming things down enough so she can eat normally again and feel better.)

Here's hoping today continues to go well!
The vet said we would make a better plan after seeing how she does on the Cerenia so I'll email the vet on Tuesday, since she isn't in the office on Monday... keep forgetting that. I think the vet was hoping for a reset like you are talking about but something is still differently going on, so its more waiting.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet said we would make a better plan after seeing how she does on the Cerenia so I'll email the vet on Tuesday, since she isn't in the office on Monday... keep forgetting that. I think the vet was hoping for a reset like you are talking about but something is still differently going on, so its more waiting.
Good to the vet and making a plan! Some gurgling is probably okay -- both our cats gurgle at times and it doesn't usually seem to say much other than that they're hungry or have just eaten -- UT's the vomiting that always worries me most. At least you're getting this quieter time because if the Cerenia. Maybe you've even seen more eating patterns that will be helpful for the vet...

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So after her not eating anything other then a small breakfast yesterday she ate 2 full Sheba portions this morning over several hours. I did send the email to the vet even through she won’t be in until tomorrow. Meow meow is getting good at trying to slobber up the pills, I need to get better at giving them to her. :(

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So after her not eating anything other then a small breakfast yesterday she ate 2 full Sheba portions this morning over several hours. I did send the email to the vet even through she won’t be in until tomorrow. Meow meow is getting good at trying to slobber up the pills, I need to get better at giving them to her. :(
I'm so glad to hear she ate two full Sheba portions this morning, that's great progress! I'm glad you sent a note to the vet anyway. This stuff is never easy.

And pilling a cat is most definitely not easy. Are you feeding her whole pills or just little chips of pills? Edwina's pills were broken into four very small pieces, one piece was a dose... she never spat one out, which surprised me since she generally wasn't eating too well in those days, then again the pieces were pretty tiny.

Anyway, 🤞 for more good eating. Thank goodness for Sheba! That stuff has bailed us out so so so many times.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear she ate two full Sheba portions this morning, that's great progress! I'm glad you sent a note to the vet anyway. This stuff is never easy.

And pilling a cat is most definitely not easy. Are you feeding her whole pills or just little chips of pills? Edwina's pills were broken into four very small pieces, one piece was a dose... she never spat one out, which surprised me since she generally wasn't eating too well in those days, then again the pieces were pretty tiny.

Anyway, 🤞 for more good eating. Thank goodness for Sheba! That stuff has bailed us out so so so many times.

She gets a half a pill, and I have a pill popper, so its just the matter of how far down her throat do I need to get it. Shes never had to have pills her whole life so she is also very unhappy with these turn of events and keeps throwing a tantrum.