Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was actively working with rescue we were also a network of foster homes. We did something we called a "sponsorship program". Since, as you know, being at capacity doesn't mean you can turn them away. Most people want the rescue to take in the animals that they find or can no longer care for. We always had to explain that we didn't have a shelter. We found that through our "sponsorship program" people were willing to be the foster for a particular animal. We provided the vax and spay/neuter and would provide food if they couldn't. The sponsors would bring the pets to our adoption events and they were advertised through our rescue. Just a thought to maybe create more space... we found a lot of people were willing to care for the pet in their home with vetting and help finding a forever home.

You are doing an amazing job!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I think you should go ahead and get the pregnant cat. These things always work out!

The kitten above has contracted tendon issues which can be corrected with heat, massage, and splints.

Can you make sure the kitten will be treated and not put down?

It happens when kittens are squeezed in utero. Here are links for your information:

Article - News And Press - Animal Medical Center - Los Angeles, California

Contracted Tendons of the Front Legs: Twister's Story

Is your new place bigger than your old home?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh the kitten will definitely not be put down! The rescue that we are sending him to today is a no kill with some experience working with kittens like these- therapy and such.
This house is bigger- same amount of rooms though lol. I will feel less crowded once the 7 kittens go to rescue next week and also some of Blake's kittens are being adopted this week as well as they will be 9 weeks on Friday- where has the time gone? All of their poops are normal now :)
We have an opportunity to take the remaining three mommas (Blake, Rachel, and London) in for spays this weekend and I also think I want to get the older boy kittens (4 months) Rico and Randy neutered. Since they are older and Randy I believe has a hernia. I am hoping it works out and we are able to go this weekend! Having everyone altered will be a huge weight off of my shoulders too! London and Rachel both have potential homes they were just waiting to be spayed. I don't believe Rachel is pregnant, just a little chunky. She would be showing more than she is now and now she is in heat. I know it is heat because Willow (spayed) goes into heat every time another cat here is in heat. I dont understand it lol.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Like after the 7 kittens leave for the other rescue than I can move out whoever from Blake's litter is left out into the main room and the pregnant tuxedo can go in the spare room where Blake was. But right now there are SO MANY kittens out in the main living area that I can't move Blake and her 6 out there right now lol. It would just be kitten chaos.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whew! Sounds ultra busy! I don't know how you keep all the kittens straight! Lol. :)

Definitely get the boys neutered too. I hope all that works out this weekend.

What kind of "heat" does Willow go in? I hope they did not leave a piece of ovary tissue behind!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh the kitten will definitely not be put down! The rescue that we are sending him to today is a no kill with some experience working with kittens like these- therapy and such.
This house is bigger- same amount of rooms though lol. I will feel less crowded once the 7 kittens go to rescue next week and also some of Blake's kittens are being adopted this week as well as they will be 9 weeks on Friday- where has the time gone? All of their poops are normal now :)
We have an opportunity to take the remaining three mommas (Blake, Rachel, and London) in for spays this weekend and I also think I want to get the older boy kittens (4 months) Rico and Randy neutered. Since they are older and Randy I believe has a hernia. I am hoping it works out and we are able to go this weekend! Having everyone altered will be a huge weight off of my shoulders too! London and Rachel both have potential homes they were just waiting to be spayed. I don't believe Rachel is pregnant, just a little chunky. She would be showing more than she is now and now she is in heat. I know it is heat because Willow (spayed) goes into heat every time another cat here is in heat. I dont understand it lol.
Sympathy heat? How odd! Now, if she weren't spayed already, I'd just say that, hormonally, she is an Omega cat. Groups of women living in close proximity will do the same thing...there will be one Alpha who triggers periods in the others over a period (:p) of time. Within a few months, EVERYONE is cycling together. LOL...for about 10 days out of the month, no one who didn't have to came near my dorm in college. But spayed? I'm at a loss, unless, as Sarthur2 Sarthur2 said, they left a bit of ovary behind.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am thinking that might be what it is... I mentioned it before when I first noticed it. She "went into heat" the same time that Sadie did. She has been spayed for about a year. We have had her since December. Since then she has gone into a heat with Sadie, with Olivia, and now with Rachel. She becomes VERY loving. She yowls all around the house. Rolls around on the floor, rubs up on all of the cats lol. I figure she is picking up on the hormones of the other cats in heat, but I do wonder if it is left over tissue... should I take her to the vet to see? Is it potentially harmful or just annoying? lol.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Annoying. I'm not aware of any harmful effects. They would need to open her up to take care of it.

Has she gone into heat on her own since she was spayed?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Not that I am aware. It always seems to be paired with another cat being in heat. She was a former feral so she was at the colony a few months after her spay (I would have to pull her paperwork to see for sure when she was spayed) then we got her in December. She (and her brother) have been our longest fosters. They are insanely sweet to us, but it took them MONTHS to warm up to us and I know it will in their new home. They need an understanding home where they will be adopted together. Kyle has been begging me for weeks for us to keep them lol. A small part of me is considering it. But the other part of me thinks that they deserve their own home.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I must confess...I have a secret yearning to lie on the floor with kittens crawling all over me. I now know where to do this...

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I must confess...I have a secret yearning to lie on the floor with kittens crawling all over me. I now know where to do this...
Kyle came home from work one day this week- working night shift I frequently fall asleep in the living room on the couch watching tv. He said when he came home I was asleep and there were 5 kittens on top of me lol! They are so snuggly!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We have a very busy weekend- although which ones aren't?
Today we are meeting with adopters for all of London's litter but one (her home fell through). Also meeting adopter for the two pastel calico kittens that came from Greenbrier County- they are going together which is awesome because they love each other! Then I have to stop by someone's house to pick up some donations. Saturday I am headed to Fairmont (about 30-40 minutes away) to pick up the pregnant tuxedo and possibly a little cat condo I saw on one of those yardsale pages on facebook ;) I also will be getting everything together because Sunday morning we are headed 2 hours away with a car load of cats for spays/neuters! Another rescue found us a mobile spay/neuter clinic with better prices than the other clinic we go to- it is $35 for a spay, $30 for the neuter and rabies is included. So we will be taking our three remaining mommas that need spayed (London, Rachel, and Blake) and also Randy and Rico- the 4 month old grey boys. We also are taking a few cats from another rescue to be spayed since we are already going that way, and taking a mom and kittens to a rescue there. All the while I work Saturday night into Sunday morning- so I will be leaving right from work and heading to the clinic! phew! I will be relieved when it is done and I don't have any cats that are waiting to be spayed (except for the new pregnant mom). Then Monday morning the 7 kittens are going to rescue- they are so sweet but I can't wait for them to go so we have a tiny bit more room! Can't wait for this crazy weekend to be over! lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like business as usual for you! ;)

Maybe you can grab a few winks in the car while kitties are being fixed on Sunday.

You do so much good! :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goodness! WHAT a weekend! But after this, maybe you will have breathing room, or as much as a rescuer can have!

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I just realized I never posted back on here. We weren't able to get a fecal of the kittens in to the vet this weekend so we are going to take on in tomorrow morning. It doesn't seem like coccidia anymore... it isn't yellow diarrhea. Some have solid stools, some (I am not sure who) have paler runnier stools- so I think it might be a different infection. We are going to try to get some of that together for the sample for the vet. Also if you remember we were supposed to get a calico mom and babies and the dilute tortie and babies. Well the dilute tortie and babies were let outside by the owner and he apparently won't give the rescue an address so that they can go look for them. The calico apparently the person that had them "got rid of them". But the rescue contacted me about a family of black and white kittens and mom. These ones are more urgent- they are being kept in a rabbit hutch right now. The rescue has a foster so they definitely can go get them tonight and hold them for me until transport can be arranged. They are calling their vet tomorrow to hopefully get the mom in for a spay and a combo test before they send them this way. These are the pictures they sent me, but they must be old because they said the kittens are about 6 weeks old now.
View attachment 183962 View attachment 183963 View attachment 183965
aw they are BEAUTIFUL kittens xx thank you for all you do xxxx

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please let me know what you need and send me the link again from your Amazon wishlist, I'll send you something andhoipe you have it set to your new address. you work tirelessly to help all these sweet little souls. We have 4 6 day old kittens ourselves now, after a shaky start all so far are thriving, I have a thread I tagged you in - please let me know if I can help you a little bit, we don't have loads of money but happy to send you litter / panacur / whatever you are most in need of xxx
All is well so far! Got our 7 kittens from Preston County last night- All have started on their wormer, had a dose of Frontline, and their first vaccines! Busy, busy, busy! It will only be worse this morning- getting our diabetic cat this morning after I get off of work, then the transport is supposed to be here around 3:30-4:00 with the 10 kittens (6 hutch kittens and 4 older kittens) and momma! Then we will have to get everyone flea treated, started on wormer, and give the older kittens their first round of vaccines! The hutch kittens and momma also have ear mites they are being treated for apparently as well. Wish me luck today!