Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the kittens get Ponazuril and it works, no need for the Albon. Are they getting Albon now?

Is the vet willing to get Ponazuril? It can be made into a suspension.

The diabetic cat should arrive with the vial of insulin that whomever has her has been using, along with a box of syringes. But, you never know.

Like human doctors, vets are legally required to conduct a physical exam before prescribing. If you have to buy insulin, it is cheaper to order it online than buy from a pharmacy. It would arrive in a cold pack.

When do you get her?

Do you always use the same vet? If so, he needs to give you a discount for all the business you bring to him!

I can't wait to see the little black kitten!

I hope you can get settled in this weekend - you deserve the weekend off! :)

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet and client must have a VCPR for treatment which means exam. Every pet owner, heck human should know their rights when asking for the transfer of medical records /tests or x-rays. It's also a good idea to have your clinic email or hard copy your pets complete records so you have a physical copy.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
So I just realized I never posted back on here. We weren't able to get a fecal of the kittens in to the vet this weekend so we are going to take on in tomorrow morning. It doesn't seem like coccidia anymore... it isn't yellow diarrhea. Some have solid stools, some (I am not sure who) have paler runnier stools- so I think it might be a different infection. We are going to try to get some of that together for the sample for the vet. Also if you remember we were supposed to get a calico mom and babies and the dilute tortie and babies. Well the dilute tortie and babies were let outside by the owner and he apparently won't give the rescue an address so that they can go look for them. The calico apparently the person that had them "got rid of them". But the rescue contacted me about a family of black and white kittens and mom. These ones are more urgent- they are being kept in a rabbit hutch right now. The rescue has a foster so they definitely can go get them tonight and hold them for me until transport can be arranged. They are calling their vet tomorrow to hopefully get the mom in for a spay and a combo test before they send them this way. These are the pictures they sent me, but they must be old because they said the kittens are about 6 weeks old now.
Screenshot_20170612-193834.png
Screenshot_20170612-193920.png
Screenshot_20170612-193944.png

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's too bad that person refuses to give an address. I also hope the person who "got rid of" the other group did the right thing.

Puzzling about the stools. It could be bacterial or giardia.

A new mom and kittens! Always exciting. Still too young at 6 weeks to be separated from mom.

Any word on Sadie and Sabrina? Wondering how the girls are adjusting. :)

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We will be getting the kittens and mom- they will only be away from mom long enough to get her spayed!
Sadie and Sabrina are still with me. The couple that is supposed to be adopting them is having construction done to their house and they wanted to wait until it was done to adopt them so they aren't frightened by all of the noise and people in and out. I am going to call them tomorrow to see if they have an update and a day that they want to officially meet to adopt them.
More exciting news- Colby is now pending adoption! Colby if you remember is the handsome tuxedo who was in a cage in a shelter for a year and a half since he was just a baby! He has been with us since February. He will be going to his forever home Wednesday or Thursday depending on if his new mom has to work Wednesday.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like some things get lost when I type them on here lol! Plus I know it is confusing because we have so many cats coming and going!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Make sure the woman adopting Colby will have a day or two off to help him get settled.

I try to keep up on here and on your FB page! :)

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
She is definitely very understanding of shy cats! I am so glad to have found an understanding home for him- I thought we would have him for a while just because he isn't particularly the most social... or social at all. I am not looking forward to having to get him into a carrier- he absolutely hates it. I barely got him into the carrier to move him to the new house lol.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am SO glad that the couple adopting S & S are waiting! It really was the most responsible thing for them to do, although I know you are anxious to have them in their forever home. Makes me feel as if their needs will be considered in all decisions in that home. Hard to fault that.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_2244.jpg

How gorgeous is Rachel- our tortie point Siamese? I still can't figure out if she is pregnant again or not... Like one day I am convinced she is, the next I think maybe she isn't. All of our local vets can't do a spay for a few more weeks anyway...

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Just got these pictures from the rescue group. They went and got this family today! They said they seem a little underweight but otherwise healthy for being outside in the heat in a hutch.
Screenshot_20170614-000027.png
Screenshot_20170614-001442.png

We were also contacted today about four kittens in another county in the southern part of the state that we haven't worked with before. This isn't a rescue contacting us, it is an individual. I was originally going to say no, because we are so full. But that county's humane society just intook 30 cats YESTERDAY. Then he sent me these pictures and they are so stinking cute, I am sure they will find homes quickly. So I told him we could help. I am hoping he can get together with the transport for the b/w family and they can bring them all up here on the same day.
Screenshot_20170613-173434.png
Screenshot_20170613-173430.png
Screenshot_20170613-173420.png

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure yet, they are working it all out with their volunteers to transport them- I think we are aiming for this Friday though!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Such STINKIN' CUTE KITTENS! And Rachel is gorgeous! If Hekitty weren't such a ladydog about other cats, I'd be clamoring for her!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
:headshake:So with all of the new arrivals on the way I was REALLY not going to accept any more kittens. But this is kitten season, and realistically that isn't going to happen.
We were contacted by a guy who had 8 kittens. He sent me this picture
Screenshot_20170616-004909.png

Now if you remember a while back- we sent a few kittens to a partnering rescue in Maryland that has a HIGH adoption rate. Like the kittens are usually only there for a few days before adoption. We have the opportunity to send some more on 6/26. They are limiting the amount of litters that they will accept. I texted the lady coordinating everything and told her that if she can save me a spot for a litter I will take in this litter to send.
So we are getting these kittens today! We'll be giving them flea treatment, wormer, vaccines, etc. And fostering them until 6/26! Then Tomorrow we are meeting the rescue transport and getting 10 kittens and momma (the 6 b/w kittens and momma previously posted, as well as the 4 older looking cuties). Then some point this weekend we are getting our diabetic cat Jasper. It is going to be INSANELY busy! Did I mention that I picked up shifts at work this weekend :headshake::headshake: What am I doing? Phew!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Also Blake and her kittens came back negative for coccidia... I know it can be a false negative... I was thinking about giving them panacur again... another round of albon... and some metro? Does anyone have the dose per weight for metro? I have a bottle of it that I had for another cat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old are the 8 kittens? Is the guy keeping the mom? Will she be spayed? Is this litter local?

Is the diabetic cat coming with supplies and/or records?

I'll be relieved when you get the rabbit hutch family, and they are no longer living like that. How old are those 6 kittens now?

Metronidazole is 5mg per kg. A kg is 2.2 lbs. It is usually given 2x/day. What strength do you have?

Extra hours at work! Oh my! Take care of yourself! :)

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We actually are only getting 7 from the new litter- it actually was two litters- if you look in that picture there were 10 and he "gave away" three of them. So we are getting 7 of them in a couple of hours! They are from a neighboring county- I am told they are 10 weeks now.
The diabetic cat is coming with insulin and needles. He was fully vetted but we will have to get him in to our vet for an exam so that we can get our insulin through them (he is coming to us from an hour away so his vet isn't local)