Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are so pretty! I'd say that they are either tabby points (yep...that's a thing), or they are tabbies with a fever coat. Only time will tell!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
So I moved Meadow and kittens into a room of their own yesterday. Well I guess Meadow freaked out and now she is no longer feeding her kittens. The little ones are fading. I fed everyone as much as I can and I have put them in a carrier with her to try to force her to nurse like I did with Blake and she was too busy trying to get out then to be worried about her screaming kittens. I don't know what to do.

zygote

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not a kitten expert at all, but could you move them back to wherever they were before? Maybe the familiar surroundings will make her feel safe, even if it seems less comfortable than a room of their own.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is, the last few days while she was in the large dog crate she had started to act depressed and it didn't seem like she was eating. So for now she has settled in with them in the carrier and is nursing and grooming them. I might just start periodically locking her in with them as well as round the clock feedings until I know they are getting enough from her. Unfortunately we have lost the tortie :( It is so heartbreaking. I wish I would have noticed that she wasn't feeding them earlier but last night we had gone to a wedding and didnt get back until late so I didnt realize how hungry they were until this morning when they were screaming at me.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh no! I know this has really hit you hard. You are so very diligent in your care of these guys.

Rest you gentle, Little One, dream you deep. Your tiny life touched more people than you can ever know. You are remembered.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Not well :( I am feeling so overwhelmed and guilty.
We lost all of Meadow's kittens. She seems to be doing fine now. Looks a lot more relaxed.
Then two days ago Stormy (the mom of the unique colored kittens) just stopped eating and drinking. We took her to our vet yesterday. She was severely dehydrated and had a fever. The vet thinks she has an infection somewhere. Even though there isn't any vaginal discharge she thinks her uterus might be infected because she could feel it when she was palpating her. She is no longer lactating so we have taken over feedings of her kittens as well. She is on clavamox and fluids. The vet thinks after a couple of days on the fluids she will feel much better and start eating on her own. As soon as she is a little better than we will do her spay, since the vet thinks that that is where the issue is. There is no vomiting or diarrhea. She just has a fever and just stopped taking care of herself and her babies.
I don't understand why I am seeing so much sickness and death this summer. This has definitely been the hardest year in rescue that I have had. I can't help but feel like I have caused all of these cats to suffer through this. Everyone has been sick has had differing symptoms though.
Either way I am buying a new sanitizer and deep cleaning the house and carriers again. I just don't know if I should continue.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't you ever feel guilty about loving those sweet babies. There is nothing you could have done to change the outcome. You tried your best, you did what you did with what you had, no one can fault you. You can't be guilty for something you had no intentions of happening, it takes intention to have guilt. Sometimes terrible things happen, for no reason and with no blame on anyone. It's a natural reaction for a loving heart to feel this way when something like this happens.
One summer three years ago I lost three beautiful adult and four 6 week old kittens to distemper. Despite vet care, vaccinations and round the clock medications and fluids. These were strays that were dumped like garbage and found our home, starving and one pregnant. We provided food and shelter and grew to love these sweet innocents in the short time we cared for them, when they died it shattered our hearts. Their suffering was horrible, but you keep thinking that maybe you can save them. My husband was especially affected as he had to take their tiny bodies one by one and bury them. My heart still aches when I think of them. I felt teh same way you do. We have a beautiful stone cat angel at the site of their graves with their names inscribed on the bottom, a memorial to these sweet souls, may they rest in peace.
I guess what I am trying to say is, never give up. There are too many of these precious little ones who need someone like you. Too many that still truly need you. At least the babies you cared for had someone there to hold and love them, to remember them now. It meant everything to them and still does. I cry for your pain because I understand, I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, may God bless you for your loving heart. Take care.......RIP sweet innocents, you will never be forgotten and will forever be held in a loving heart!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am taking a "mini vacation" with my dogs and Kyle to a cabin in southern WV in a couple of weeks. It is near one of the kill shelters we work with. They are so full I wanted to pull a couple of kittens while we were down there, but I am so scared to. They would have two sets of the combo vaccines... but I don't know.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
But she didn't have the typical diarrhea and vomiting. I don't know. Is it just irresponsible for me to bring cats into this environment now?

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for everything you're going through. I don't know what's going on, but people at my rescue also are saying that it's a very tough summer, and we're not even on the same continent. We lost a lot of cats and kittens, but it seems to be going all right now.
I'm terrified of bringing another kitten in the house since Lays' passing and Leyia's struggles, so I know what you mean, to an extent.
If you need a break, take it. Yes, cats and kittens need you, but they need you at your best. Just listen to yourself, and do what you have to, to be able to continue on if that's what you want.
We're here for you :hugs:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so Stormy just started having a bloody discharge. Which is leaning us more towards the infection in her uterus. I called the vet. Obviously the next step is a spay. However since she is so sick and not eating and drinking on her own she is very high risk. The vet said that it could be the antibiotics working and the infection just opened up and is draining which would be a good thing. I am hoping that is all it is... it isn't thick/mucusy discharge like the last cat that I had with a pyometra had- it is pretty watery just like she is leaking. We are dropping her off at the vet in the morning and they are going to run bloodwork to see how at risk she will be to do the spay tomorrow...

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Darlin, my heart is there with you. I know how conscientious you are with all of your cats and kittens, and how devastated you must be with the losses. I understand questioning whether or not you should go on. BUT...there is this. Forgive me if I anthropomorphize a bit here, if I were a cat or kitten, I would far rather take my chances with an illness, even with dying, if people were loving and caring for me than to be "euthanized" healthy for lack of space in a shelter. What you do, even in "failure" is remarkable, and not one of those cats or kittens would have known any love at all without you.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words. I think I will pull a couple of kittens- but only ones who have had two rounds of vaccines. I am also thinking about pulling one adult... he has been there for two years :(
Stormy is still leaking. The discharge isn't really bloody anymore, but there definitely still is discharge. She still is not eating or drinking on her own. I am hoping that the antibiotics made the infection open up and it is draining and healing and she will feel better in the morning. I have been able to syringe a little bit of canned recovery into her every few hours, but it definitely is NOT enough. I don't think they will be able to do a spay tomorrow. She has just lost so much weight and is so weak. But it needs done. Oh I don't know what to do.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We dropped Stormy off at the vet this morning, they did some tests and then called us back to make the decision to spay or not. She is so weak, it is a very risky spay. But she will not live without the spay being done. This is the estimate they gave us for today's services. We are looking at a bill that is going to at least be $600. Please send positive thoughts our way while she undergoes this procedure <3