Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
She left us this morning. If she was still here when I got home from work I was going to take her to our vet so she could go more peacefully but she had already gone. Her kittens are hanging in here... We are syringe feeding them recovery mixed with KMR and pedialyte. The vet thinks they might have an infection from mom... their stools have seemed fine. But we are keeping an eye on them. A few of them passed a few days ago when all of this first started happening. The remaining kittens are gaining weight every day.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Only two of Stormy's kittens have remained with us. The vet thinks the others probably caught whatever gunk Stormy had. I am going to try to get pictures of the two remaining babies today after they get baths, they are messy little critters. They are pooping EVERYWHERE. And also getting food everywhere! We just introduced them to the litter box a couple of days ago and they just don't get it yet. They just started eating canned food on their own this week. However they still LOVE the formula. If I only put the canned down they take a few bites and cry, I add some formula and they go face first in the bowl and gulp it down- I worry about them aspirating it but they go crazy for it! They have mostly solid poops, the last few days I have noticed a few piles of very loose stools... We did just start worming them... but I am still a little alarmed given everything we went through with Stormy. The stools are light brown in color... do you think it could be a mixture of worms/worming and since they still are eating a good bit of formula?
We just got back from our mini vacation, we stopped at one of the shelters we work with in the south on the way back up. We pulled one adult cat and three kittens. The adult we pulled is a brown tabby male, the shelter had named him Wild Thang because he came to them feral. He lived there for two years. A few months ago the shelter started a feral cat socialization program that he became a part of. He is a total love bug now! Two years at the shelter is too long for anyone though.
The three kittens we pulled are absolutely GORGEOUS. They had been at the shelter for over 2 months which just proves how little interest anyone in that area has for adoption. Two of them are brothers- named Domino and Durango. They are solid white except for identical dark grey marks on their foreheads. The other one's name was Kissy but I am probably changing it... she is an adorable tortie. All three of them are extremely playful and loving. This bunch is the last bunch we are taking in for a little while. I need to rebuild my vet fund, my supplies, and find homes for some of my long term adults. I am also saving up money to get the house professionally steam cleaned, I will feel better about taking in others after that.
I will share pictures of everyone when I get on my computer at home- those of you who follow the facebook page have already seen pictures of the newest arrivals!
Do you think I should change Wild Thang's name? I don't like it. But he had it for two years. I was thinking about changing it to the word wild in another language but I couldn't find one I liked... Open to suggestions!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's good to hear from you! I agree you are doing the right thing.

Professional steam cleaning is an excellent idea.

I would definitely change Wild Thang's name. Observe his personality and see what fits. It's sad he lived at the shelter for 2 years. Thanks for pulling him.

I hope the new kittens get a great new home together soon!

How are my favorite girls Sadie and Sabrina doing?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, change it! I suggest Heart Song, simply because, "Wild Thing, you make my heart sing, you make everything...groovy...Wild Thing, I think I love you." And now you REALLY know how old I am!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Sadie and Sabrina are doing well! Sabrina is coming around to us a little more lately. Sadie is a little bit of a bully with the other adults, but things are always a little hissy when we bring in new cats for a few days. I am hoping to get a stool sample for Meadow and Jill in to the vet this week. Both have diarrhea. They are eating and drinking well and are staying hydrated and gaining but nothing seems to be working. Jill has had diarrhea since she caught that viral infection months ago. We have tried Albon, Metro, and probiotics. I haven't given Meadow anything for hers yet, but I would like to have both of them tested to know what we are dealing with, but every time I try to get a sample they haven't pooped that morning. Or the vet's office is closed. Go figure. So they both are in my two bedrooms. I would like to get them figured out so I can open my rooms up to give everyone a little more space to get away from each other lol. Right now all of our adults are in our living room/kitchen area so its a little stressful.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe try ponazuril. If that doesn't work, it may be dietary.

Could they share a room in order to open up a bedroom to the others?

You still have your hands full!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Less total cats than before, but more adults which is a little more difficult I think lol. Meadow only had solid poops for now go figure. Fingers crossed whatever it was worked itself out! If she continues to have solid poop we will sanitize her room and open the door to make a little more room! Dropped off a sample of Jill's this morning!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sadie and Sabrina are doing well! Sabrina is coming around to us a little more lately. Sadie is a little bit of a bully with the other adults, but things are always a little hissy when we bring in new cats for a few days. I am hoping to get a stool sample for Meadow and Jill in to the vet this week. Both have diarrhea. They are eating and drinking well and are staying hydrated and gaining but nothing seems to be working. Jill has had diarrhea since she caught that viral infection months ago. We have tried Albon, Metro, and probiotics. I haven't given Meadow anything for hers yet, but I would like to have both of them tested to know what we are dealing with, but every time I try to get a sample they haven't pooped that morning. Or the vet's office is closed. Go figure. So they both are in my two bedrooms. I would like to get them figured out so I can open my rooms up to give everyone a little more space to get away from each other lol. Right now all of our adults are in our living room/kitchen area so its a little stressful.
Food allergies, maybe? Just a thought.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it might be diet related too but I am *pretty sure* not 100% though that she didn't have diarrhea when we first got her. And she was just eating Purina Kitten Chow...

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Someone found 2 4 week old abandoned kittens... Closed for intake right? Ha. Do you think it would be a good idea to put them in with Stormy's kittens so they can socialize with other kittens? Stormy's kittens are about 5-6 weeks old now.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily the finder is willing to foster them through us! So we will provide supplies, wormer, vaccinate when old enough and find homes!
He found them at a CVS parking lot. They are eagerly eating kitten formula and canned food mixed together right now!
Attach02.jpg
Attach01.jpg

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
They are cuties! I am going to go over some day soon and drop off supplies and wormer and confirm genders and get pictures of the cuties!