Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwww. He really has been having it rough! Will he be a TNR, or is someone going to try to rehab him?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
He will be a TNR, the neuter went well. He is home with us recovering and then he will be returning to a very safe location as a barn cat! We were trying to trap a momma cat and found him in the trap lol we have never seen him before- go figure! He definitely has had his fair share of fights.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So a few rescue groups I am a part of have been passing a warning along that now we should stop giving pedialyte to kittens as the formula has changed and there is now zinc in it which is toxic to kittens? Sarthur2 Sarthur2 have you heard this? Is there any fact to it?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ashade1 ashade1

Some quick research on my part reveals that zinc is a part of a healthy cat's diet, and is an ingredient in cat food.

Zinc is also an ingredient in pedialyte, as nausea and vomiting cause a loss of zinc that needs to be replaced in order to re-establish a proper electrolyte balance.

It is my opinion that zinc toxicity will not be caused by the normal use of pedialyte in ill or dehydrated cats or kittens. Its use is what helps many felines recover more quickly.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, change it! I suggest Heart Song, simply because, "Wild Thing, you make my heart sing, you make everything...groovy...Wild Thing, I think I love you." And now you REALLY know how old I am!
I'm right there with you. I happen to know it's the Troggs.
Why can't music sound like that anymore...:(

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
ashade1 ashade1

Some quick research on my part reveals that zinc is a part of a healthy cat's diet, and is an ingredient in cat food.

Zinc is also an ingredient in pedialyte, as nausea and vomiting cause a loss of zinc that needs to be replaced in order to re-establish a proper electrolyte balance.

It is my opinion that zinc toxicity will not be caused by the normal use of pedialyte in ill or dehydrated cats or kittens. Its use is what helps many felines recover more quickly.
Cats and dogs can suffer from zinc toxicity but the levels in pedialyte do not even seem to come close. This is one of those alarms where the truth is mixed with outright lies or hysteria and other misinformation.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update: Not much going on here! Our adoptions have slowed down unfortunately. Most of our fosters right now are adults. With 4 older kittens and a few younger kittens sprinkled in. We are still closed for intake with the exception if someone volunteers to foster. Focusing on getting some of our adults adopted and working more hours at work to rebuild our vet fund and pay down the credit card bills we racked up this summer at the vet. We also are working on planning a trip to one of the low cost spay/neuter clinics we go to. We have 2 moms to take (Meadow and Penny) our older kittens, and then we would take some from the other rescues in the area as well.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds as if things are settling down a bit for you. I know you want to do intake again asap, but...you needed a little breathing space. I'm just sorry it had to happen the way that it did.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
An update for those of you that don't follow our Facebook!
We trapped this guy yesterday and got him in for his neuter! The momma cat at this colony is still eluding us! We were sure that we got the mom today because the mom looks just like this guy. Oh well. Back to trapping!
received_1945981982328328.jpeg

I do think there are a few more unneutered Tom's as well that we don't see because all of the guys we have gotten from here have been beat up pretty good. This guy will be going back to his barn home later today!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Best of luck with mama! I know it's frustrating, but you know so well that getting to one unneutered tom will, in the long run, do a lot more than one unspayed queen.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So what I have decided is that I want a few things done before we reopen for intake. I would like to have a few hundred dollars back in our veterinary fund. I need to pay down some of my credit cards which I had maxed out on all of our vet bills this summer. We need to rebuild our stock of cat food, litter, wormer, flea treatment, vaccines, and terramycin. I have been picking up more overtime at work to accomplish this. Another thing I never would have taken into consideration before I ran my own rescue is how many scratchers we go through. We have to replace scratchers every few months! I just spent about $60 in scratchers that will only last us a few months- these cats here sure do love them! FYI Chewy is a great place to buy all kinds of scratchers! I am torn between quality and price on cat food...
In order to get a good stock of everything and accelerate the process for us reopening I want to do a cat food and litter drive.... I was thinking I would do a prize... like every bag of food and litter donated from our amazon wishlist gets you in for a drawing to win a $50 amazon giftcard... what do you think? I am also looking at other fundraising options to help get our vet fund up faster.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We were notified about a colony of cats near us recently. We went to evaluate the situation this morning. The first thing we saw when we got there was a mom and 4 6 week old kittens playing on a picnic table. We sat and watched for about 10 minutes and saw about 5 more adult cats. Plus an older kitten (6 months) with an injured foot that needs attention .
So we are still "closed for intake" but we are working on getting the 6 week old kittens trapped and brought inside. As well as the injured kitten.
Sigh.
21740674_1646633575388358_5566990301219116100_n.jpg
21740032_1646634058721643_1131273614762025135_n.jpg
21463190_1646633748721674_1452920256986359666_n.jpg
21462989_1646633952054987_942322506132829100_n.jpg
21462256_1646634012054981_3782794994618854304_n.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's awesome that the cat colony has caretakers, and that you can help with TNR and kitten adoptions. :)

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah they definitely have a caretaker. They are well fed and they have a couple impressive shelters! I'm going to leave a note and have the current caretakers contact me so that we can coordinate!