Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You'll need to clean the garage too. Are there lights in the garage? A fan to circulate air?

Start cleaning non-carpet areas now though. :)

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry guys. This is hitting us so hard. Whatever virus this is has been fatal to every kitten that has gotten it. There wasn't enough time for us to be able to help them. We have lost all of the hutch kittens and the two kittens we got with the calico mom. Currently Jill (the hutch kittens mom) seems to have fought off the virus and looks much better. She cries for her kittens though. Jasper, our diabetic cat seems to have the virus now so we are fighting for him to pull through. Fingers crossed this is where it ends. We sanitized everything with cleaner that shelters use for parvo. This is taking everything out of me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so sorry. :(

I hate to tell you this, but the virus can live for a year or more in your home.

Do you think it was in the home when you moved in, or do you believe it came in with a certain group of kittens?

How much carpet do you have?

You really can't bring any more cats or kittens in any time soon. :bawling:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where it came from :( our living room and both bedrooms are carpet. The cleaner we have we can use on the carpets so we did EVERYTHING. We used Parvo procedures.
It's so frustrating.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to steam clean the carpets AFTER all the sick cats are gone.

It's very frustrating, especially in the middle of kitten season.

Sad too, at the loss of the kittens. Panleukopenia is horrible. :(

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
It seems like this might not be panleuk. It almost seems faster acting. Probably a different strain of it or something, since the panleuk test was negative. I don't know :(

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry!! What a nightmare for you; I have no words :alright:

Like Sarthur2, I think it's possible and likely the virus was already present in your new place. Big hugs :grouphug2:

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I know you follow my thread, when we got Leyia and Lays, they were the most healthiest of kittens. We lost Lays in 24h. They came from the vet, and they lost all of the remaining kittens they had the same day. Only Leyia is still fighting. Hang in there ashade1 ashade1 :grouphug:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am so thankful that we got this family into a foster home before we got hit with this virus (and that they never came into the house).
My foster sent me this picture today! Momma is so sweet. They said that when they are in the room with her she ignores the babies and only wants to be petted so they usually have to sit with her and pet her constantly to get her to nurse them. I took them over some formula and syringes and they are going to try supplementing them a couple of times a day to make sure they are getting enough. They also are weighing them.
*Mom (Penny) Does have a nest, but like I said above she refuses to stay in it when people are in the room lol
Their little faces are so sweet. Brings me a little comfort. They said their eyes have started opening <3
received_1351391254981870.jpeg

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
She is not very old. I would say not even a year yet. She is such a sweetie.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes! I gave them two cases of canned kitten food for momma! They said she inhales them!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We are on our way to our vet with Jasper. He is not doing well. I think he needs IV fluids and IV medications- maybe an anti-nausea drug? On the phone they said they put it in as an exam with possible admission.
That sounds like it is going to be so expensive to me :dunno: We have had over $600 in vet bills just this week because of this. I hope he is ok. I debated even making him an appointment, he is so lethargic. But Jill made a complete turn around from this virus, so I don't see any reason why he can't too!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Go Jasper! Have them do what they can and keep us posted.

Hopefully this virus will be gone soon!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Jasper is home with us. The vet doesn't think that Jasper has the same virus the other kittens had... for one he doesn't have a fever. They did an x-ray to make sure that he didn't have any blockages, nothing was enlarged or ruptured, looked at his pancreas and liver. Everything looked ok. So we did an anti nausea shot and they sent us home with more fluids. They said they could keep him there overnight but they wouldn't really be doing anything that I wasn't. She was suprised that he wasn't dehydrated- I gave him almost an entire bag of fluids over two days to keep him hydrated. So more fluids, hopefully he gets some appetite back with the anti nausea shot.