Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
So I am not sure if I posted Jasper's story...
His original owner had taken him to the vet one day for weight loss, peeing outside of the litter box, etc. He was diagnosed with diabetes. The owner refused to give him insulin and asked to have him euthanized. One of the veterinary assistants fosters through another rescue and she took him in. She had him for 6 months and then her work schedule changed to where she could not regularly give him his insulin- that is when she asked if I could take him in.
Well with him being sick I let her know what was going on. Well she got really rude with me. I told her everything that the vet said and she acted like everything was insane, then said that I should have demanded that he stay overnight and get IV fluids. There really was no reason for him to stay overnight, the vet said that they really would only be doing the same things I already was. The vet didn't think that he needed IV fluids because he has stayed hydrated on the sub q fluids. She is trying to make me feel like I am not doing enough for him and it is really frustrating. We have had just shy of $1000 in vet bills alone this week that we were not expecting and there is only so much that we can do. It is just a little annoying that she doesn't think that I am doing everything that I can for him.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I feel guilty enough that he is sick anyway. He was healthy the whole time he was with her. I can't believe this is happening. I am going to be devastated if he passes. The only thing he has been keeping down is Caro syrup. I am hoping when I get home from work this morning that I can get a few syringes of food into him and get him to keep them down. The vet wanted me to give him a few hours on the antinausea before trying any food.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know what to say because nothing is going to comfort you right now. I read what's happening and it is the nightmare that all rescues and just anyone bringing in a new cat fear. Add to that some of the babies sure didn't get a good start in life. Not your fault.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
He is about 6-7 years old. When he was diagnosed with diabetes his blood sugar was over 500! I test his blood sugar daily at home and we usually have it stable under 200 (on a normal day when he was eating) he was making good progress towards going to a diet controlled diabetic remission though.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK. Shared that link on FB. I only have 255 friends, but of that group, some 230 are rabid cat lovers. Hope we get some donations out of that!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Jasper had bloodwork done, he was in kidney and liver failure. We made the decision to euthanize him. He was in so much pain. So now is previous caretaker is yelling at me blaming me. As if I don't feel bad enough as it is.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
She keeps saying that I killed him because he was healthy with her and I only had him a few weeks so it was never my decision to make. I should have had him stay overnight at the vet. She can't believe that people give me money and animals and I should be ashamed of myself.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I just had to block her and then ban her from the rescue page. This has been hard on me too. I know she is grieving and needs to blame someone but there is no reason for her to be so rude.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, there is no reason whatsoever. If she did the rescue work that you do she would understand better.

She is being mean-spirited, selfish, and hurtful. I know she is causing you to feel bad, and it's uncalled for and unfair. It's good you blocked her.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Having been through liver failure with a cat you made the right decision. Add kidney and you made the only right choice. This has probably been cooking in him for some time. Not only can cats hide the pain blood work can look normal until they are down to about 30% liver function. Do not beat yourself up for something that you had no control over.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
This is only the second time that I have had to make this decision. It is absolutely devastating. But I know it was the right one. He was so miserable. He couldn't stand up by himself. He was starting to jaundice from his organs failing. He was in so much pain.
But I am trying to deal with that and then for her to continue sending me messages telling me that he only got that bad because I was neglecting him and he should have never gotten that sick and he was healthy when she had him. This whole thing is so upsetting. I knew that this was going to blow up if something happened. And it isn't like I didn't try. We were at my vet with him THREE times. Nothing more could have been done.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
This is only the second time that I have had to make this decision. It is absolutely devastating. But I know it was the right one. He was so miserable. He couldn't stand up by himself. He was starting to jaundice from his organs failing. He was in so much pain.
But I am trying to deal with that and then for her to continue sending me messages telling me that he only got that bad because I was neglecting him and he should have never gotten that sick and he was healthy when she had him. This whole thing is so upsetting. I knew that this was going to blow up if something happened. And it isn't like I didn't try. We were at my vet with him THREE times. Nothing more could have been done.
You don't have to justify your decision to anyone here. You are among friends.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I love my TCS family.

Another issue. Momma Jill is doing very well and appears to have fully recovered from her viral infection. Her appetite is fully back, solid poops, not dehydrated, normal temperature. She has been very well for two days. Crying for her babies. I think she would benefit from coming out of her room that she is in but I am not sure how long I should wait... I am going to go through and clean everything with bleach and that parvo cleaner today really well and maybe steam clean the carpets tomorrow... knock on wood no one at this time is presenting with symptoms the only thing is The two torbie kittens we got on the 4th of July. They have been in isolation the entire time but the other rescue who had taken the two older kittens from that location said the older ones have been sick- she took them to the vet and they have FIP. So I will be keeping them in isolation just until I make sure nothing is going on with them. I sort have been so hyperfocused on Jasper that Kyle has been taking care of them mostly. He says he hasn't noticed any vomit but their cage is usually a mess when I see them, it looks like it is just canned food that they knocked out of the bowl and ran in lol but I want to be extra cautious.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Please don't listen to this person about Jasper. Like kittens mom kittens mom said, you are among friends, and we love you too!!

About the torbies and the momma, I would keep them in isolation until everything is cleaned up.

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just caught up over 12 pages' worth of info. I'm so sorry for your losses. I made a very small donation in memory of sweet Jasper and will hopefully be able to fulfill some of your Amazon wishlist next month. You have done so much good in the world, and should be very proud of what you've done. Sending so many hugs!