Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may sound strange, but I have used an equine product on horses, dogs and cats with anemia and it works. It's called Red Cell. It basically helps rebuild the red cell count in animals. I had a dog whom the vet said would die without a blood transfusion. Used this first and she not only got better, but lived a long life. You could ask your vet about it. It may help.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good heavens, you have your hands full! Those torbie babies are precious. I'm glad you're hanging on to them to get their bitty eyes cleared up.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
We definitely have our hands full! With intake requests daily! We just don't have enough room/homes :(
We are doing the best that we can! The two new torbies with eye infections seem to only be 4-5 weeks old. They are eating on their own but I am thinking when their infection clears up I might move them into the room with the Black and White momma and kittens so that they have a mom.
The feral tortie momma goes for her spay in the morning- I already have her in her carrier because I worried that Kyle would not be able to get her in the carrier in the morning. I have not touched her since we have had her.
Cream colored mom and her 4 ginger babies will be going to foster either tomorrow or the next day! We have had a few adoption inquiries so hopefully we can get some cats/kittens into homes soon!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think moving the babies to a mom soon is an excellent idea!

I hope the spay goes well. :)

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately the one black and white kitten took a turn for the worst last night and he passed this morning :(
I feel like nothing we are doing is helping. The remaining kitten seems to be doing good for now.
The vet called and Martha's spay went well. When we go pick her up we are taking the cream colored mom and her babies in so that mom can be combo tested- then we are taking them to their foster home!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, poor kitten. They just had a really rough start. I hope the last one makes it.

Yay for foster helpers! :)

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
On a brighter note... the two kittens with the eye infections that we got yesterday are doing AMAZING. They are so stinking cute!
FB_IMG_1499290852331.jpg
FB_IMG_1499290855561.jpg

Their names are Liberty and Starla since we got them on Independence Day. They are so sweet and start purring the moment that they see you. Once they have been on the antibiotics a few more days I will introduce them to the black and white family. They came to me from another rescue that is working with an area where people dump cats/kittens, they said that there were two more young kittens that may be from the same litter as this one- may be from a different one... They are going back to the area Monday. I told them I will take the other two younger kittens if they can catch them- she said they were hiding under something when they were there last time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is so nice to hear! Wish they could get those other kittens before Monday though.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I know, I wish we could too. But they won't give me the address. Apparently the current caretaker doesn't want many coming to his home. However Monday another rescue group is also pulling 5 other kittens from there. They took 4 yesterday and I am told there is at least 10 more cats/kittens there. The guy is apparently caring for them the best he can but its just too much. There is no way we would be able to help with anymore. I can barely take on the 4 we will be getting total.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know. I'm just glad people are helping the cats and ultimately the man. Every effort is worth it. I just feel sorry for defenseless kittens.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I know. This is just such a hard time of year for us. Trying to figure out just how many cats/kittens we have room for. Where can we possibly squeeze some more? Sorting through the long list of inquires for us to help with cats trying to prioritize them. Who needs more help? Cats in a very full kill shelter? Cats and kittens at a feral colony with a minimal socialization window? A kitten that someone got last week and now has "allergies" so if we can't take it it is going to the pound (which by the way is one of those previously listed full kill shelters)?
Then people will get angry and frustrated with us when we are unable to help them with their cat's third litter of kittens. PLEASE get your pets spayed and neutered. This problem is way bigger than anyone who is not in rescue can imagine.

Sorry! Rant is not directed at anyone on here. Just... overwhelmed. Upset over losing kittens that were fought very hard for. If only we had gotten them a few days before they had gotten that bad. If only that person would have spayed their cat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm 100% with you, and could not have stated it better. I think it gets this way midway through kitten season.

You do so much and make such a difference, even when you feel helpless to do more.

Spaying and neutering is really the only answer.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
It is very overwhelming. I am glad that we get a lot of support from family, friends, and you guys!
I don't think I posted on here but the cream colored momma combo tested negative! I believe her 4 babies are all boys. They went to their foster home this evening. A couple of their eyes are starting to open a tiny bit!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So bad news and good news. Bad news... the black and white family got very ill today. They were fine yesterday- today I went into their room and three were very lethargic. There was bloody diarrhea and the mom was very warm. One kitten passed before we could do anything. Off to the vet we went. They did a panleuk test, it was negative. Mom's temp was 106. They think it is viral, the two worse ones the vet isn't two hopeful for but he sent us home with fluids with B complex in them, azithro for everyone and some vitamin supplement for everyone. He said to start syringe feeding them recovery. Mom also got some kind of shot for her fever.
It is always something :/
The good news... our last anemic kitten is finally getting a tiny bit pink! Hopefully things are looking up for him!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh no! I sure hope there is no panleuk in your home that is causing this. Poor kitties. I hope everyone is better soon. :(

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I know :( I don't expect the two weakest kittens to make it through the night. They are so lethargic. I'm hoping to be able to boist the remaining three kittens immune system enough to help them fight it before it gets that bad.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
But look how great my anemic boy is looking! Don't mind his messy mouth. The vitamin supplement the vet gave me for the others has liver and high iron in it so I gave him some!
20170706_223009.jpg

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I also had been worried because the anemic kitten hasn't pooped much since we have had him. We started mixing oil in with his food, Well he took a massive poop today- so yay!

I probably am going to move the black and white family out to my garage tomorrow... That is going to be the easiest way for me to contain whatever it is since it is most likely viral. They are in their own room for now but I don't trust it. I just don't understand how this has happened- everything usually happens at once here! Good grief.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to start cleaning with a bleach and water solution. Floors, counters, cages, food and water bowls, bathrooms. Wash bedding in hot water. Sterilize everything possible to kill viruses and spores of anything. Just to be on the safe side.

As you know, the season has a long way to go still.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am ordering a product called Kennel Sol... It is a disinfectant used for parvo in dogs, another rescue used it when her kittens had panleuk. It works as great as bleach but without bleaching everything out. Which would be great since I have carpet in that room... I think things would be easier to keep disinfected if I move them to a crate in the garage. I just wish it would be more comfortable for them.