Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
We ran to the store and got the baby food and syringe fed them! They aren't really eating on their own right now... I had some in a bowl but no one was interested. How often should I feed them? They are 5-6 weeks old I am guessing.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Also about how many mls should my goal be to get into them each time?

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are amazing looking after all of these fur babies! I still don't get how people can get pets then decide to dump or abandon them !

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much do they weigh and I'll give you amounts to feed.

For now I would feed every 4 hours.

Glad you got the baby food!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
They are all just under a pound. They are still hanging in there... Should I continue feeding straight turkey baby food? Or should I try a can of a/d food from the vet? Its high in nutrients too. They are eating about 6 mLs of the baby food each feeding. They look the same as they did but they act a little spunkier, so I think they are feeling a little better. How long until their little noses start looking pink again?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are their poops on the baby food?

How much are they each eating now at each feeding?

The standard advice is to feed the kittens as much as they want about every 4 hours at this age. They should begin gaining weight. The scale will let you know.

You can certainly try the a/d.

As soon as their blood is iron-rich again they should begin to pink up. I would think it would happen quickly - a few days at most.

They were clearly near death, so it's good they are showing more energy.

Last edited:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I just was hoping that they would be looking a lot better by now :(
They still are not eating and drinking on their own- but do decent from a syringe. They have not pooped since they have been here- who knows when the last time they ate before I got them was though. One of them looks a lot better than the rest. The grey and white one is acting the worst right now- he doesn't eat as much as the other two either. They eat about 6mls of the baby food every 4 hours. Which doesn't sound like a lot but I am used to doing formula not baby food... does that sound ok? After that they start spitting it back out at me.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
On a different issue... Marigold our calico mom. I still think she is pregnant. I was thinking about postponing her spay anyway because she is so skinny. But I think I can feel the "popping" movement that you feel before you feel the true fetal movement. And she is so skinny I swear I can see the "baby lumps". If that makes sense. I am going to have to separate her from her 9 week old kittens. They are still nursing and draining her of all of her nutrients I think.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At a pound the kittens would need 128mLs of formula each over 24 hours. The baby food is certainly denser, so 6mLs sounds about right.

You might want to give them KMR every other feeding. It has nutrients they need and will also hydrate them, particularly if mixed with pedialyte instead of water.

You've only had them for a day, right?

How many kittens is Marigold nursing?

And how much of what food and how often is Marigold eating?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just checking in with not a lot to add, other than lots of :hugs::hugs::hugs: and a couple of :rock::rock: and some :vibes::vibes::vibes:for the little guys and an extra :vibes: for little grey and white!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok just gave them their first formula/pedialyte feeding. They took it a little better than the turkey baby food. Suprisingly the one that does the best on the baby food fought me more with the formula.
Here are pictures of them today!
IMG_3101.jpg
IMG_3106.jpg

The little black and white one sitting in the front is doing the best. Little grey and white one I am still not sure of... He fights me to eat no matter what. We got a good bit of the formula mixture in to all of them which is good because they were all a little dehydrated. Should I mix some pedialyte in with the turkey baby food too?
Marigold has 2 kittens with her right now. She is currently out in our main living area which has Purina One Indoor and Purina One Kitten Chow down. No canned food because some of the cats have sensitive stomachs.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you put Marigold in a bathroom for a few minutes 2-3 times a day and give her canned food? Her kittens can go in with her.

I think she needs both wet and dry since she is so skinny, still nursing, and most likely pregnant.

The grey and white baby is rough looking. She needs a mama. Is Marigold your only nursing mom right now?

You can mix pedialyte into the Gerber - just don't dilute the baby food too much.

I think these kittens need more time, and they are only 4 weeks old.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I really think that these babies are closer to 6 weeks- their eyes have already changed to green- but they are very small- probably from being so malnourished. I am hoping to move Marigold into my spare room tomorrow- Blake is currently in there with her remaining babies. I am going to move them out tomorrow. Then Marigold will have access to Purina One kitten and canned kitten food all day. Do you think it will be fine for her 9 week old babies to still be there with her? Or should I leave them out so that she can pack on some nutrients?
Marigold is my only nursing mom... Grey and white I don't think would nurse if I tried to put him with a mom. He barely can hold himself up sometimes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should let Marigold have her babies with her.

That's sad about the grey and white kitten. Maybe it needs feeding every 2 hours until it gets stronger.

Are their URI's getting better?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Their URI's seem better. We are mostly just keeping their eyes clean and giving them the antibiotic and terramyocin. I will try to up his feedings to being more frequent- I work tonight so Kyle will have to wake up a few times tonight to feed them. They have stopped crying so much- I am hoping that means that their bellies are fuller.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you are right, they are less hungry. They are adjusting to their new environment too.

Do you have them separated from the general population?

I really hope they all pull through this!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So during their feeding before I came in to work the two black and white ones look like they are feeling a lot better. The grey and white one is still about the same. I have them in a carrier on a heating pad for now, away from everyone. Their little bellies are full now. I told Kyle to give them the formula/pedialyte mixture in a few hours. The grey and white one had a little bit of poop on him when I took him out for his feeding. It was solid- which is good right? He worries me... I am hoping for lots of improvement tonight! Fingers crossed and lots of healing vibes our way.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Solid is okay. It could be from dehydration or from the baby food. The formula will make their poops softer.

It's good to hear that two of them seem better. I'm really pulling for the grey and white kitten to start feeling better soon too.

Do they have room to move off the heat if they get too warm?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
They are in a big carrier so they have room to move off of the heating pad if needed. I had it on low initially but they were cool when I picked them up so I turned it up to medium. They are usually huddled together on it. Would anemia make them cold? I wasn't sure if it would effect their ability to stay warm, or maybe it was coupled with their URI. They seem to feel better when they are on it though. I am a little anxious about how they are doing tonight without me there. Luckily I have tomorrow night off because of the holiday so I will be able to watch them better.