Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Calico mom and her two babies are now inside. They adjusted to inside life very quickly and were all three snuggling with me on the couch- Momma is very relaxed. I have both new mommas in for spays next Wednesday.... If it becomes apparent that one is pregnant before than I will cancel it. These spays are at my local vet so I don't mind to just take one in.
The semi feral mom and kittens (the tortie mom, tortie kitten, orange kitten, and brown kitten) I have named Martha (Mom), Irene (tortie kitten), Sherlock (brown tabby kitten), and Watson (orange tabby kitten). These babies have huge wormy bellies. This was day two of giving them Panacur. They have green diarrhea... Should I assume it is from diet change/stress/worming or try to get a sample in to the vet? I haven't been able to give mom any wormer yet... I really cannot touch her at this moment. The babies I have put advantage II on and given two doses of Panacur- mom has gotten nothing. She freaks out when I reach into the cage. The kittens still hiss at me when they see me coming and when I pick them up. Its going to be a long process with mom.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you put mom's panacur in her wet food?

Diarrhea is never good. They may need an antibiotic. Poor kitties.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I can try but I can't be 100% sure who eats it... No one will eat while I am there just yet... I can try taking the babies out and bringing them up to the house for a bit and leaving mom in there with some canned food and Panacur... Mom had also had a green lose pope- not diarrhea but it wasn't completely solid. Which is why I am thinking it is a mixture of the stress/new diet/worms. Who knows what they were eating before?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree it's from all of the above, and the Panacur will help mom too. Hopefully she will eat it in her food.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Marigold (the calico Mom) I just am not sure of... she is so skinny. Today she was laying beside of me on her side and I noticed a lump.. It felt like it could have been a kitten but there wasn't any movement. I am just going to continue keeping an eye on her. She is still nursing the two kittens that she has here.

Wildcat Maybelline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ashade1 ashade1

Oh, how precious!

It is not safe to bathe kittens this young. I recommend that you put a tube of Advantage II on mom's neck. It will kill her fleas and most of theirs.

Then repeat in 2 weeks. In 2 weeks you can also use a syringe to put a drop or two (tiny amount) on each kitten's neck. That and washing their bedding in hot water should eradicate the fleas.

It's cheaper if you buy Advantage II for extra large dogs. It's the exact same stuff, but one tube will treat multiple cats. The cat dosage for 5-10 pounds is .08mL.

I'm glad you read the thread on the 9 kittens so you can see the importance of rotating and supplementing. It helps mom out too.

Glad to hear they took easily to syringe feeding. Do you have their weights?

Wildcat Maybelline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
NEVER EVER put atvantage on a mother cat with kittens this young. It will kill them. I learned that the hard way!!!!!!!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
NEVER EVER put atvantage on a mother cat with kittens this young. It will kill them. I learned that the hard way!!!!!!!
I have used advantage II on dozens of mom's with kittens with no problems- it is highly recommended as them having fleas can kill them...
I am sorry that you lost your kittens.

Wildcat Maybelline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would suggest Waiting at least 4 weeks. You can always bathe the mama cat in dawn dish soap to kill most fleas. This is way more safe.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
The momma and kittens that was in question at the beginning of this post was from about a year ago. They all survived, the Advantage II cleared the fleas immediately and they all lived :) thank you.

Wildcat Maybelline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The momma and kittens that was in question at the beginning of this post was from about a year ago. They all survived, the Advantage II cleared the fleas immediately and they all lived :) thank you.
I used 1/2 Tube of Advantage II on my very hefty 13lb mamá cat....1hr later her very healthy 2 week old kitten died in its vomit. I immediately washed her and wiped the other kittens down as well. They were sick for days. I still have the package.
Using flea medication on cats of any are is risky. It kills cats all the time....look it up....sometimes it does not...but sometimes it does. I would not risk it especially when there are safer methods. However, to each his own. Thanks!

Attachments

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
URGENT: just picked up three kittens from the vet. Very sick. Their sibling died. They are flea INFESTED. worse than I have ever seen. They gave them each half of a capstar and the blanket that is in with them is COVERED in fleas. Their gums, noses, paws are WHITE they are so anemic. Plus they have a URI. They have clavamox from the vet and canned recovery to syringe feed them... is there anything else I can give for the anemia?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
The vet I am not sure fully examined them... these poor babies were dumped at the vet office. They were already dealing with two other emergencies and the office was CRAZY. All I know is that they tested the one that was the worst- it was extremely low. It passed shortly after. They gave these ones glucose to boost their sugar and capstar to help with the fleas. They gave us antibiotics for the URI and I have teramyocin for their eyes. They have spurts of energy... seem to be doing better with the fleas off of them.
Also we got our two seniors today- we were on our way back with them when we got the call for help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! You can give them unflavored pedialyte to drink instead of water. They just really need protein, so straight meat would give them a boost.

You might want to order vitamins for them:

VetriScience Vetri-DMG Immune Health Dog, Cat & Bird Liquid Formula

Those are excellent drops!

Kitten chow has lots of nutrients too.

You got them in the nick of time. So sad the one could not be saved.

How are the seniors doing?