Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys! I really appreciate the kind words and any donations (although NOT necessary!). I am so glad that I found this site when I was researching pregnant cat advice a year ago! I do think I am going to keep my eye out for another "special needs" cat to take in in Jasper's name. Although that won't be until we can make sure all of this illness is out of the house.

GlitterKittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I get the vet assistant is upset but hitting out at you like that is inappropriate and isn't helping anyone. You've not put jasper in an organ failure position, you've just dealt with the situation as best as you can when the symptoms presented to you and in the best interests of Jasper. Would she have had some other path of action under the circumstances? Some miracle intervention? No. I wonder what else is going on for her that she is being so accusatory and unthinking. Is it worth mentioning how she has been behaving to the vet so maybe the vet can talk her through it a bit more, tell her to back off with the harassment and maybe support her if needed.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
She wanted me to have him admitted at my vet two nights ago. However my vet was very straight forward with me and she said that there is nothing that they would do with him being admitted that we were not already doing at home (giving fluids, monitoring his blood sugar, giving him glucose, etc). Not much else could be done and he was staying hydrated on the sub q fluids so the vet didn't believe he needed IV fluids.
In her yelling at me she implied that she thought that I was lying about ever taking him to the vet. When in reality we took him in there three times.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does this gal work at your vet's office, or elsewhere?

Can you put the torbie kittens with the hutch mama? That might help her out.

Yes, steam cleaning the carpets is important in killing the virus. It can live on anything and everything - cages, bowls, even clean the outside of the bags of cat food, litter, and canned food if the cats were on or around them.

You may need to throw out toys unless they can be washed. :/

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
A different vets office. She lives about an hour away from me. I thought about putting them together but I was worried if they are still sick that they have different things and then they will get some kind of weird combo of illnesses :dunno:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh in case anyone wanted to know, you can rate pages on facebook that you have literally never had any interaction with. We just got 8 1 star reviews from this girls friends. That is annoying.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh in case anyone wanted to know, you can rate pages on facebook that you have literally never had any interaction with. We just got 8 1 star reviews from this girls friends. That is annoying.
I fought my instinct to leave a good review it's just going to stir the pot. You should contact FB and see what kind of options you have. I think you can deactivate reviews. I know this only adds to your grief and stress. I'm sure you could take the example one business choose to use and make it work for you. They wrote and explanation of why they were receiving the bad reviews and pinned it. BTW a vet tech of 3 years is not a veterinarian and a cat with diabetes is not perfectly healthy. I'm so sorry this is being added to the grief you're having right now.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am debating addressing the reviews. One of my supporters left a positive review and she messaged her and started telling her lies. Dana argued with her for a while and then just had to block her. There is no arguing with her. I am just messaging some of my fosters and adopters to have them leave some reviews just to get the rating up so it isn't a 1.4. This is so stressful.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel for you, and a bit for her, only because she doesn't realize that poor Jasper only appeared to be in good health while his systems were slowly weakening in her care. They hide things so very, very well for far too long. And although I do feel a bit for her, that does NOT excuse her attacks on you in the least little bit.

If there is anything constructive I can do, leave a review, whatever, pm me and I will do it.

Rest you gentle, Jasper, dream you deep. YOU know how much you were loved, and how hard our friend tried for you.​

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is ridiculous! Can you ask your vet to call the other vet involved in this situation, and have him put a stop to this? It is very unprofessional.

Is this girl currently working as a vet tech for a clinic? If so, her boss needs to be aware of this too, unless they are one and the same vet.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I am debating addressing the reviews. One of my supporters left a positive review and she messaged her and started telling her lies. Dana argued with her for a while and then just had to block her. There is no arguing with her. I am just messaging some of my fosters and adopters to have them leave some reviews just to get the rating up so it isn't a 1.4. This is so stressful.
The people who have adopted from you are leaving reviews that are just wonderful. Addressing this group of haters looks impossible. Better to let the true real and honest reviews speak for themselves.
This storm will pass. Jasper came to you damaged I'm sorry his former foster is in denial about the toll this disease can take on animal or human. But this storm will pass what's important is that you don't start doubting yourself. You and your rescue will survive and thrive because you are doing good things and the number of adoptions speaks for itself.

Last edited:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am just not sure what the appropriate way to respond to this is. I don't want to respond to the reviews that are not made by people who I have never met/worked with before. The original girl who I had blocked and banned from the page made another review under her husband's name. I don't know if I should make a status addressing things, or if I should deactivate the page for a few days until things settle down (although I feel like that is what they want and I am not even 100%sure how to do that).
This whole thing is just so much. I am being harassed for something that was entirely out of my control. She is acting as if I took pleasure in having him euthanized. I AM GREIVING TOO. Our mutual friend had messaged me last night and asked if she could have his body so that she could bury it. I told her that I would meet with the mutual friend but not her, so she got him back this morning- which I thought would sooth things over some, but that clearly was not correct.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am not worried so much that this will effect my adoptions and things. But I would be lying if I said that it was not effecting my emotional state. I have worked so hard to get the rescue to be what it is today and she is running the name through the mud. I already am feeling guilty about the whole thing and this is just making it worse. There was nothing else that we could have done. She can say that I should have had him admitted all she wants but it wasn't right. There isn't anyone at my clinic 24/7 so why should I have put him in a strange environment with no one caring for him when I could give him fluids and antibiotics at home? Ugh. I probably will be taking a break...

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A couple of things... 1. You can remove Facebook reviews and/or petition to have them removed. If you include the words "defamation" and/or "slander" in the 'why' section of your report, Facebook will automatically remove it. They don't want to get involved in a libel lawsuit. 2. Speaking of lawsuits, I saw that your friend has a father who's an attorney. Seriously consider reaching out to him and see if he can make a pro-bono approach to the vet's office, as long as criminal defense or something of the sort was actually his area of expertise. I truly believe they will all hush once legal counsel has approached this woman's boss. My rescue experienced a similar wave of horrible reviews over a comparable situation a few weeks back. A lot of very uneducated people left reviews based on one woman's contemptuous accusations. It says a lot about a person when they blindly follow and do what other people tell them to do. It all died down once our director addressed it directly. Choose what you may, but know that there are many people from all over the country who are rooting you on.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I will have to look into removing the reviews... I was trying to find it when I was on my laptop at home earlier but couldn't find an option to remove them.
Half of the "reviews" don't make sense either. Like they don't coordinate their lies. Sigh. I think my best course of action is to not reply to them. It is only going to add fuel to their fire.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not respond to the reviews. You do not need to defend yourself.

See if you can have the negative reviews removed.

I would not have given her the body either under the circumstances.

You need to get a vet involved to set the record straight to this girl.

This girl is a first-class bully who is harassing you.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Jaspers original foster mom has a right to leave the review because she had an interaction. She's also entitled to have her opinion. Getting FB to take down a negative review by her will be hard.
You showed you class and heart by arranging to get Jaspers body back to her.
My husband has a saying. You don't win against crazy.
When the time feels right I would write a tribute to Jasper and explain what happened in your words and tell her how sorry you are that Jasper couldn't be saved. If you attack her it's fuel and she' be off and running again. Let some time pass before you do. She's hovering waiting for anything to latch onto right now.
She was so lucky to find you and your rescue to take the cat with special needs that she couldn't keep. Our pets can get sick and die often without warning sometimes with no explanation. Pets coming into a rescue from a life of neglect are even more subject to illness.
Find anyone who has been in rescue long term and they'll share their battle scars. Social media makes it easy.
Having the people who have adopted from you continue to leave reviews is the best fix. They stand for themselves.
Again you are a class act arranging to get Jasper back to her.