Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not use and nail polish or marker it is very toxic to mama cat that licks them.
I have never had any issues using nail polish. It is nontoxic, or people who chew their nails would never be able to paint their nails lol.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure. I think the person whose house she was at just wanted them gone and as soon as they were eating on their own they decided to get rid of them :( I haven't seen him nursing off of her but they are still settling in!
That is just so sad. When I was a girl, MANY decades ago, it was typical for people to send kittens and puppies to their new homes at 6 weeks. That was "normal." SO glad we know better now! Hekitty was dumped off with me at 5 weeks, not nearly ready to stop nursing. I bottle fed her along with her kitten food, but she STILL wants to nurse on my inner elbow. I'm thinking she will outgrow it...I mean, she's only nine now :crackup:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So everyone officially meet Bonnie and Clyde!
IMG_0964.jpg
IMG_1023.jpg

Bonnie is now also being treated for ear mites! The clinic was able to get Bonnie and the Black and White mom I am getting at the end of this week in for May 17th when I am taking Olivia and Sadie! So yay!
Also I slept through weighing this morning (oops) But little miss Maya was 175 when I weighed this evening!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Also we were contacted about another family at the shelter. These guys are absolutely GORGEOUS. I am just torn trying to decide if I will have the room and resources. I am getting the mom and 7 this week... Three of the older kittens are going to homes Thursday. Sawyer will be adopted soon... and a all but one of Olivia's kittens are pending adoption... but they will still be with us several more weeks...
unnamed (13).jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It will all work out! It always does. How old are the 7 kittens?

Hurray for Maya! I want her to pass 200 grams this week.

Bonnie and Clyde are beautiful. Is he still nursing mom?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
The 7 kittens I am told are 6-7 weeks.
I haven't seen Clyde nursing off of mom, but they sleep under the futon so I think that he could be nursing off of her under there. He has been eating canned kitten food and hard kitten food today.
The siamese family I am told is 5-6 weeks. Only the three kittens pictured.
Also I have a rescue event that I am going to May 27th that there will be an adoption event at so I was planning on taking whatever kittens I had at that moment that were available who weren't pending adoption... I am thinking the momma and 7 kittens.

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to let you know my vet told me not to use newspaper because the ink is not good for the cats to lick off

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to let you know my vet told me not to use newspaper because the ink is not good for the cats to lick off
Thanks, I don't use newspaper- these cats are at a shelter that I pull from. Shelters commonly use newspaper because its all they can afford for the bedding.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Adoption event plans sound good!

Are the kittens all fixed before they are adopted?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So unfortunately since we aren't a 501c3 nonprofit yet and don't get any outside funding like grants we don't currently have the resources to get all of the kittens spayed/neutered before adoption. However we are partnered with a 501c3 group in our area who provides free spays and neuter vouchers, so the kittens are adopted on a spay/neuter contract and then we call them after a few weeks to see if they have made spay/neuter appointments yet or if they need financial help- then the other group sets up getting them a voucher if they need it and they let us know for sure when the kitten is spayed. Its not ideal, and I would love to be able to spay and neuter everyone before they go, but this has been pretty effective so far! All of the kittens adopted last year we have verified have been spayed and neutered.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The program you have in place sounds like it's working for now.

It's not too difficult to put a 501c3 together, but you do have to function with a board of directors. I know you will get there eventually! :)

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I think I have a foster for the Siamese family!
Also London and her kittens' foster said all of their eyes are open now! Everyone there is doing great!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ashade1 ashade1

I read your post on @tiffr's thread where you said the shelter told you it was their policy to vaccinate pregnant cats. Have they stopped now since you told them you will not take anymore vaccinated pregnant cats from them?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
No, their really isn't much that the rescue coordinator can do. But they definitely know my stance on it. She since has started asking if I can help with a pregnant cat before it goes into the shelter so that they don't have to vaccinate it. They said that it is the stance of the Humane Society of the United States. idk