Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I know :/ No because I am going in to work this evening and the lady couldn't meet me before. Hopefully we can get them tomorrow with no problems and the kitten just has some eye junk that I can help with terramyocin!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if there is a weight loss food for cats that have a sensitive stomach? Andy (the original momma of this thread) is apparently packing on the pounds! She has a pretty sensitive stomach, but I might advise her mom to try the weight loss food and just transition to it slowly.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Again, you might try removing the others for a short period and allowing her (Teensy) to nurse without fighting for a nipple. SO glad you got something in her! AND that she is nursing from mama while the sibs snooze.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Also another thing: Any tips for a cat who sprays? Colby (you may remember him he is the mostly black cat that I got from a shelter were he spent his whole life growing up in a cage for a year and a half) has sprayed since we got him. He was neutered a couple of days after we got him. He was spraying in three spots- in front of the door, in a corner in the kitchen, and on the futon in the living room. I put a litter box where he was spraying in the kitchen and that seems to have stopped. I never see him spray by the front door anymore, I actually see him sleeping there. But he is still peeing on the futon. I think it usually is only whenever we bring new cats in- which unfortunately is ALL OF THE TIME. I am just wondering if there is anything I can do? I have looked into getting a Feliway diffuser but am not sure about it. It seems like it would be a little pricey in the long run. Also we are cleaning the areas with an enzymatic cleaner.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dang. I wish I had better news, but if this is territorial, you may be stuck with it, given that you are rescuing. Hopefully someone will have some idea...I don't. At least it's ONLY the futon now!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
He is a foster that we have had for three months now. I am just worried about if he is ever adopted- him spraying in his new home.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ashade1 ashade1

I remember Andy! Do you know what they have been feeding her?

I feed mine Purina One for Inside Cats. It's high protein at 42 grams per serving. Turkey is the first ingredient. No artificial colors or flavors and no fillers or carbs. Mine have done great with it and are not overweight.

Some of the battle is portion control too instead of free-feeding.

Andy's mom may want to join TCS and pose the question in the Nutrition Forum. There are some very food-knowledgeable folks on that forum.

How's the little one doing? :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 #1105.

ashade1 ashade1 , I'd suggest adopting him to someone who wants an "only child," and explain that he has an issue with territoriality, and MAY spray if another cat is brought into "his" territory.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ashade1 ashade1

I agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 .

In the interim, you may want to spring for the diffuser. In my experience they are worth the money. The diffuser and refill packs are much cheaper on Amazon than at a pet store. Or put it on your wish list!

I feel sorry for him having grown up in a cage at a shelter. :(

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do, too. I imagine if I had been in a cage for most of my life, then got out, I'd protect whatever territory I had rather fiercely, myself!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Little one was latched and nursing when I left for work! I will weigh when I get home tonight!
Andy's mom does have an account on here (@andysmom ) I will tell her to log on and post in there! She said she is feeding Purina Gentle? I am not familiar with that.
It is so sad. He had been there since he was 8 weeks old. If he would have gotten a little more exposure there that would have been a great time to get him adopted. Then he got older and everyone overlooks the black cats :(

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Little one was latched and nursing when I left for work! I will weigh when I get home tonight!
Andy's mom does have an account on here (@andysmom ) I will tell her to log on and post in there! She said she is feeding Purina Gentle? I am not familiar with that.
It is so sad. He had been there since he was 8 weeks old. If he would have gotten a little more exposure there that would have been a great time to get him adopted. Then he got older and everyone overlooks the black cats :(
People overlook adult cats period. Kits are short lived exercises in patience a cat is for life.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never understood that. If the cat is sweet and loving and you click, what difference does it make what it looks like. Black dogs are overlooked also.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never understood that. If the cat is sweet and loving and you click, what difference does it make what it looks like. Black dogs are overlooked also.
The darker an animal is the harder it is to photograph. Most of us use pet sites to look at available pets. Sadly this is more about curb appeal now than any superstition. Many people like the rescue here take pictures of their available kittens and cats that captivate you. Add to that many shelter pets are scared and be poorly groomed.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Even black kittens are overlooked. I think black cats are gorgeous! I also would much rather adopt an adult cat where what you see is what you get. I think kitten personalities can be all over the place and they can be completely different when they are grown.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We are probably getting this family at the end of this week as our older kittens leave us.
Momma is the black and white in the first photo. She has 7 babies, three brown tabbies, two grey/blue, and two black. They said they are using the litter box and poops are solid. Babies look 6-7 weeks old to me? What do you think?

Attachments

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We are trying to pull as many from the overwhelmed shelters as we can without us becoming overwhelmed. I really want to get as many out of their cages before we get bombarded with the kittens from our own area.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I think if all goes well with the momma we are getting tomorrow that I have a foster for her. So that should help some.