Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
When is it safe to put collars on kittens? A lot of the new kittens look alike. There are three brown tabbies, two solid grey, and two black. And just by looking at them they all look the same lol. They are at least 6 weeks old. I would say close to 7 weeks though. Is it safe for collars?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is there anything they could get caught up on in the room where they are?

I'm not a fan of collars on kittens this young in general, but if you really need to tell them apart, I suppose you could use cloth collars.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm.. we'll just leave them without collars for now. Three of the older kittens (Panda, Saola, and Bonobo (Bo)) were adopted today! Miss them already! Siamese momma and her two kittens will be going to a foster home tomorrow- the foster has someone interested in adopting both kittens so I will be sending them an application soon!
The two solid grey/blue kittens are different genders so that is how we will have to differentiate them for now. The two black ones are both boys... one is apparently the runt and smaller than the other.. who knows if I will be able to tell- everyone is a kitten blur! The tabbies... two boys and a girl. So hopefully the two boys have a little different patterns so I can try to distinguish them.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Sadie is in heat and is literally making me go CRAZY. Ugh! She is walking around crying, the other momma's are picking up on her hormones and so now everyone is acting like idiots. The Siamese family goes to foster today. Maybe that will help things some. sigh.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
The Siamese Mix family! They don't have names yet because I am letting the foster name them!
IMG_1101.jpg
IMG_1184.jpg
IMG_1131.jpg

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
The Mom and 7 Family! We named them off of Supernatural Characters!
IMG_1161.jpg
IMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1173.jpg
IMG_1210.jpg
IMG_1116.jpg
IMG_1235.jpg
IMG_1265.jpg
IMG_1293.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a real weakness for tabby point siamese! You have both mama and the red kitten!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are all beautiful!

Heat cycles are awful to live through - poor Sadie, poor you!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So happy to see Maya is still gaining. Can we get a pic with her and her siblings?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, man, heat cycles are SO ROUGH! Hekitty's last one, she spent her day standing in front of the door, yelling, "Let MEOWT! Oh, let MEOWT! NEOW...NEOW...NEOW!" I tried to tell her, I said, "You don't want to get mixed up with those tomcats! They promise the world, and all you get is kittens. And they won't be there to hunt for them, or litter train them, or let you get a break..." And she looked at me with those big green eyes, and said, "I know, Mama, but LET MEOWWWWWT!" Happiest day of BOTH of our lives was the trip to the vet! Now, mind you, Hekitty had her first heat at age 14 months. I thought she wasn't going to ever start. I was saving money frantically while trying to help support two kids that weren't mine, but we got there!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven't posted much the last couple of days! I had to get up early this morning to drive a couple of hours to go to my older sister's grad school graduation, we were there all day and I came home and got 1 hour of sleep then had to come in to work. I am EXHAUSTED. At work now. Tomorrow I will try to get updated pictures of everyone! Maya's gains slowed down the last two days. Still gains though! I'll post her weight in the morning!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I know! And it is so hard to sleep when you have a TON of super playful kittens. Usually when some of them tire down and settle down for naps, another bunch starts playing like crazy! Then IF everyone settles in for a nap at the same time, Sadie starts yowling lol. We WILL get through this! Contacted about more kittens today... I simply don't have room. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ah...my late greatly missed father's words to the wise: "IF you burn your candle at both ends long enough, your wick eventually falls out. Pace yourself, my Dear."

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
URGENT?
Sawyer is acting... weird? Just today he has started to act like he can't walk. Like he doesn't seem to be in any pain. He can move all 4 limbs. Tries to play. Isn't crying, seems otherwise healthy. He crawls across the floor. He just will not stand up and walk.
I have never seen anything like it... like it doesnt look like CH.
I don't know if I should freak out and take him to the emergency vet. Or if I should stay calm and wait for my vet to open tomorrow morning...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he seem to have a fever? Is he eating? Using the litter box normally?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check him for ticks. There are some in the US that cause paralysis. If you find one, you may have to get the 'antivenom' shot from the vet.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
He walks if I hold his body up. But if I let him go he falls into a lay down position. He isn't like flopping over like he can't hold his head up or anything. It is almost like he can't extend his limbs and put pressure on them maybe? But doesn't act like it hurts.
He doesn't act lethargic or anything. I haven't seen him using the litter box yet. Not fevered.