Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Crossing my fingers that the other kittens are located. That is just heart-breaking. Perhaps a number could be left with the owner of the park to call if they show up? Surely he could hang on to them for a matter of a few hours?

I agree with sending at least the black kitten, for Sarthur2 Sarthur2 's reasons. SO hard to find homes for them! Silly, silly superstitions!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Crossing my fingers that the other kittens are located. That is just heart-breaking. Perhaps a number could be left with the owner of the park to call if they show up? Surely he could hang on to them for a matter of a few hours?

I agree with sending at least the black kitten, for Sarthur2 Sarthur2 's reasons. SO hard to find homes for them! Silly, silly superstitions!
I don't know anyone who is superstitious of black cats. Over and over I find it's how they photograph. The same issue exists with black dogs. Honestly anyone who even hinted at being afraid f black cats for supernatural reasons should be rejected as a potential adopter for any cat.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's so bad in some areas that there is a moratorium on adopting out ANY black animal during the month of October, and I agree with you, 100% about rejecting any potential adopter who is that worried about it. It doesn't bode well for a balanced home.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so bad in some areas that there is a moratorium on adopting out ANY black animal during the month of October, and I agree with you, 100% about rejecting any potential adopter who is that worried about it. It doesn't bode well for a balanced home.
They do that here too. Although evidence says the cats that are killed are feral, loose and available more than just being black. Someone with true nefarious intentions would procure their victim long before any ritual date.
The rescue person who has this thread does an excellent job of photographing her mama cats and the babies.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She certainly does! I've quite fallen for her cats and kits! You're another who does a wonderful job of photographing cats.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
She apparently searched all day in the rain and was unable to find any other kittens. I am not sure what happened to them, someone else could have come upon them and taken them in. They could have passed. It is also possible that there truly weren't 5 to start with.
We had an emergency this morning, Bonnie and Clyde's foster called me. Clyde was having a seizure. We took him to our emergency vet. His blood sugar and temp were very low. They got him warmed up and his sugar up and he had another seizure so they gave him some medicine for that. They sent us home and told us to keep him warm and give him Karo syrup every half hour to keep his sugar up until the drug wears off and he can eat. He passed away a couple of hours after that.
So I think that while it is not ideal, I will send a few of the older kittens on the rescue run on Monday. We are just so overwhelmed. I have no where to put this new family. I am still not sure if I am getting them, but they have no where else to go...

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw the other replies. I think black kittens are harder to find homes for because they are harder to photograph and I think a lot of people overlook them because they think they look boring to be honest. Blue eyed cats and calicos always have several applications on them in a matter of hours because they are "pretty". I think black cats are beautiful!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry to hear about Clyde. Which kittens will you send on Monday?

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor little guy. At least he passed loved and cared for. Sometimes it is all you can do.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Black cats are awesome xx my first cat Polly was all black. She loved a lovely long life and died peacefully in her sleep aged 14 ❤❤❤ Then I had Spike from a rescue centre he was lovely! All cats are beautiful X thank you for everything you do for them all xxx

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am still trying to decide which kittens. I am thinking definitely the older black girl. One of the black boys (I have two but someone is interested in one of them), One or two of the brown tabbys, and maybe one of the grey ones. It is a really great opportunity, the rescue has a great reputation and every one we send is another one that we can save. It is just hard for me to pick which ones.
The mom and two babies that were found at an industrial park are a little ways away from me so I am trying to help them find another rescue to help. I am not 100% sure if we are getting them or not. Contacted about a few other kittens in a shelter today too. Long haired. They are sooo adorable- I think they would do well at that adoption event I am going to in two weeks!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! So much! Sawyer was adopted! The two kittens from the Siamese mom are being adopted this week as well! 4 Mommas go for their spays on Wednesday! Planning things for this event that is happening in two weeks, working on rescue transports.
It's busy, but it's a good busy, if that makes any sense.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so 5 kittens are going to the no kill shelter with the high adoption rate early this morning! We are sending the older black girl that we have had a few weeks, one of the black boys, two brown tabby boys, and the grey boy.
So from that litter I will have the brown tabby girl, a black boy, and a grey girl. I have someone interested in the black boy and one of the girls.
Now, we are getting more kittens but I have such a hard time picking which ones I should pull from the shelter and how many I can take on. Do I take on ones that look more adoptable to me? I was looking for older kittens- 10 weeks so that they are already of adoption age when we get them. But then they sent me a picture of ANOTHER Siamese family and I am wondering if I should take them on as well...
kitten 2.png
untitled.png
456.png
587.png
123.png
Capture.JPG
capture1.JPG

I would consider the longer haired looking ones to be very adoptable... Its hard for me to gauge how old the Siamese family is...
Also the Siamese family that I have in another foster home- the two kittens are going to be adopted Tuesday! So that is good!
I appreciate your input on taking in more kittens... Siamese family or not... How many of the others... I feel like I have their lives in my hands.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
More good news- Blake is finally learning about what it is to be a mom! So yay! Happy mothers day to all!
blake.png

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy. You do so much!

I think I would take the family. The mom looks so stressed, and I think it would do them a world of good to have some time in a home.

How are the adoption rates at your shelter? And what is your set up for kittens right now? Is it a situation where adding a few more to a kitten room wouldn't hurt?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so basically I have 3 or 4 different sections. I have two bedrooms that I have available to separate nursing/pregnant momma cats in. Or any cats that I would need to separate due to a medical need (FIV, FeLv). Then I have my main living area (living room, kitchen, hallway) that my healthy adults and vaccinated kittens generally go in. I also have a small bathroom that I can use if absolutely necessary to put a mom and babies in or a medical case (I had Blake in there the first two weeks after she had her kittens- but its a small room so they outgrow it quickly). I also have a couple of fosters- One that has London's family, one that has the other Siamese family, and one that has Bonnie.
My adoption rate for kittens is very high. Adults it takes a little longer but I think I have a pretty good adoption rate with them as well :) I have a few long time fosters but they were former ferals so they really need a special home.
Right this moment I have Olivia and her litter in one room. All of her kittens except for one are pending adoption (they have approved applications) for when they are old enough. Someone I work with is very interested in adopting Olivia once her kittens are weaned. I have Blake and her kittens in my other room. I have been getting applications for Blake's litter I just haven't reviewed them yet. I have a feral cat I am working on socializing in my bathroom right now.
Then after the kittens leave for the other rescue this morning I will have 3 kittens out in my main part- two I am waiting for applications to come back in on. I do have several adults in the main area as well though- Sadie and Sabrina, the black momma Mary, Sherbet and Willow- the two ferals I have had the longest, and Colby- he is a very shy, he had lived one and a half years of his life in a cage in a shelter.
The older kittens I have no problems with putting in my main living area- they are already vaccinated and wormed. I am just wondering if the Siamese family would be fine in the main living area as well... or if it would be way too much.
Sorry for the really long reply. lol