Referral Needed, Re. Rescue Organization, Or Tnr Group

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's feeling conflicted. As a cat living by his wits outdoors, he had to be eternally vigilant, and I believe cats instinctively know that humans are a dicey proposition. But he now knows you are kind and he loves you! That's why he's giving the mixed signals. Just like people, cats need to know they CAN trust and that that trust will not be betrayed. Mammals are hard-wired to be social, interactive and affection-seeking. But we all need to know we will be safe.
*Could you send some of that monsoon our way? We're forecast to have 110F today, 103F tomorrow. July has officially kicked in. Oh, how I long for some rain!*
Wow, it's that hot in LA? I was on a project just west of you in Santa Paula for 9 months back in '09 (from May to Jan) , and it was the nicest summer I had in years! Only been on a project just north of Victorville during the winter & spring in '12 to '13 (Dec. to May) , and both Calvin and I had a blast. Love the cold, especially when I'm in the Jeep, and not directly working in it, like I do now.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes perfect sense. I don't hold his hissing at me against him, nor take it personal, at all! He's decompressing, and who knows what he's been through. I think time is the best medicine.

Re. our monsoons. I understand CA needs the water, but not when most of a years worth of rain drops in a couple of months! That's when you'all get your mudslides, right?

Thanks again,

Pops

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah! Bigtime. But we live in an area not affected by those (it does matter where you build, truly!) and we are in the ???th year of a "historic" drought, so we could use some. Monsoons affect us here, too, and sometimes we get rain in July, but not usually. It sure is HOT and dry here now.
I used to live across the valley from Victorville, in the Mojave, and it was Paradise for me.
Yes, it does get "that hot" here, with climate change driving temperatures up. The hottest I experienced was 112F in the Mojave. I didn't think it would get that hot down here in the Basin, but yeah, it is. Pretty miserable. I much prefer the cold! Lived at 4,100 ft. in the Mojave, right up against the San Gabriels, and we had 4 distinct seasons, snow in the winter. It was so beautiful.
How's Sam the Man doing?

IMG_0310.JPG

Looking out toward V-ville from our land in the Mojave

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sam could work for either a boy or a girl. What brand of blanket did you get him? I got Demi a blanket, but he doesn't like it. He prefers to suck on my blanket, which is kind of gross because I can't wash it every day. :confused:

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah! Bigtime. But we live in an area not affected by those (it does matter where you build, truly!) and we are in the ???th year of a "historic" drought, so we could use some. Monsoons affect us here, too, and sometimes we get rain in July, but not usually. It sure is HOT and dry here now.
I used to live across the valley from Victorville, in the Mojave, and it was Paradise for me.
Yes, it does get "that hot" here, with climate change driving temperatures up. The hottest I experienced was 112F in the Mojave. I didn't think it would get that hot down here in the Basin, but yeah, it is. Pretty miserable. I much prefer the cold! Lived at 4,100 ft. in the Mojave, right up against the San Gabriels, and we had 4 distinct seasons, snow in the winter. It was so beautiful.
How's Sam the Man doing?

View attachment 240425
Looking out toward V-ville from our land in the Mojave
Beautiful! Love the high desert plains! However, as much as I complaint. I love the desert, but not when the property I'm on is made up of 90 % asphalt!

Not sure why I'm not sleeping right now, but heading there as soon as I hit "post reply" .... lol ... or I would've posted a few photos as well. May be when I get home in the AM.

Sam the Man, is doing well. Just check in on him, and he's crashed. BTW, I took a chance an placed his carrier up where he is, and he was sleeping in it earlier this afternoon / morning.

Pops

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sam could work for either a boy or a girl. What brand of blanket did you get him? I got Demi a blanket, but he doesn't like it. He prefers to suck on my blanket, which is kind of gross because I can't wash it every day. :confused:

Shoot, I threw the tag away! I purchased the blanket from Walmart in the infant section (?). It looks like a sheep skin type of texture to it / bunch of cotton balls. Price was around 10 bucks, or so.

Pops

OK, now I heading to bed, or I'm gonna suffer tonight! ... lol

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful! Love the high desert plains! However, as much as I complaint. I love the desert, but not when the property I'm on is made up of 90 % asphalt!

Not sure why I'm not sleeping right now, but heading there as soon as I hit "post reply" .... lol ... or I would've posted a few photos as well. May be when I get home in the AM.

Sam the Man, is doing well. Just check in on him, and he's crashed. BTW, I took a chance an placed his carrier up where he is, and he was sleeping in it earlier this afternoon / morning.

Pops
Asphalt? That's terrible!!! We had NO asphalt where we lived. The roads were 50/50 sand and boulders :crackup: when they weren't washed-out after the snowmelt. Then, they were 100% impassable until everyone put up the funds for the grader to come through. Liked it that way, because it kept the rabble out and the dust down. Somewhat. :insertevillaugh:
Sounds like he's doing very well!!! *Scritches* to him from me! :purr:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*Butting in unasked, as usual* My three love those "polar fleece" type blankets and they're very durable and washable.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks tarasgirl, I'll Google it. :)
They're everywhere and they're usually very affordable, come in lots of colors and patterns, etc. Just throw in wash and dryer and reuse. Might just be under "fleece blankets". Airlines give them to business class passengers. Or, you can buy the fabric at fabric stores, I'm pretty sure.

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, got a few minutes, and thought I'd post a few photos of the Boy;

I don't know what happened to make him tear up his room. This was after I fixed it back up, and picked up the torn blinds! ... lol .... I actually think he saw a cat walk pass his window, sidewalk, or street, but not certain;

Still not confident that no one will steal his food;

Well, I thought it would take a bit to get him use to his carrier. Anyways, I took it off the floor, then placed it where he is. And guess what? He like's the dang thing, uses it as his house.

After I post this, I'll keep him company, and take a nap on the floor in his room!

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 ; Bring back a few memories;

We (my mother and me) took care of this abandoned Mustang Mare for 7 to 8 months, while I was on a project back in 2007 to 2008. Closest home was approx 2 1/2 miles from where I was. All desert till you hit the White Tank Mountains. Named her "Sugarfoot";

Folks who adopted her. It just so happened that Mikey was interested in entering the "Wild Mustang Makeover" contest. "Sugarfoot" was to be her trial run / test. If you're interested in the "Wild Mustang Makeover, and you have AZ Prime, look up the movie / documentary, "Wild Horse, Wild Ride". Anyways this was her and her husband looking for her to make an initial assessment;

Getting everything ready;

Got yah!

This area may look familiar to you (Santa Paula, looking north west, and our home for 8 months);

I love being on dirt, and sand as well;

Closer look at the project, and my dogs play ground ... lol;

This area may look familiar to you as well (area just north of Victorville). This is the area we missed the most. One square mile fully fenced in property, on mostly dirt and sand.;

This was one part of our view every night. Looking south west to Mount San Antonio (?). Head west to Palmdale, Landcaster, then HI-5;

My boy Calvin enjoying the dusting of snow;

Have a great day, everyone!

Pops

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, got a few minutes, and thought I'd post a few photos of the Boy;

I don't know what happened to make him tear up his room. This was after I fixed it back up, and picked up the torn blinds! ... lol .... I actually think he saw a cat walk pass his window, sidewalk, or street, but not certain;

Still not confident that no one will steal his food;

Well, I thought it would take a bit to get him use to his carrier. Anyways, I took it off the floor, then placed it where he is. And guess what? He like's the dang thing, uses it as his house.

After I post this, I'll keep him company, and take a nap on the floor in his room!

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 ; Bring back a few memories;

We (my mother and me) took care of this abandoned Mustang Mare for 7 to 8 months, while I was on a project back in 2007 to 2008. Closest home was approx 2 1/2 miles from where I was. All desert till you hit the White Tank Mountains. Named her "Sugarfoot";

Folks who adopted her. It just so happened that Mikey was interested in entering the "Wild Mustang Makeover" contest. "Sugarfoot" was to be her trial run / test. If you're interested in the "Wild Mustang Makeover, and you have AZ Prime, look up the movie / documentary, "Wild Horse, Wild Ride". Anyways this was her and her husband looking for her to make an initial assessment;

Getting everything ready;

Got yah!

This area may look familiar to you (Santa Paula, looking north west, and our home for 8 months);

I love being on dirt, and sand as well;

Closer look at the project, and my dogs play ground ... lol;

This area may look familiar to you as well (area just north of Victorville). This is the area we missed the most. One square mile fully fenced in property, on mostly dirt and sand.;

This was one part of our view every night. Looking south west to Mount San Antonio (?). Head west to Palmdale, Landcaster, then HI-5;

My boy Calvin enjoying the dusting of snow;

Have a great day, everyone!

Pops
He looks VERY happy! *I hoist my miniblinds up about cat-height so they don't get destroyed. Experience I gained from 2 houses ago, where I didn't.* That's a really nice bowl he has, too. What a handsome guy!!!:purr:
No, I don't have Prime, but I recognize almost all of those places. Our place in the Mojave housed 2 horses when the original owners were in it, and most people around us had horses. We didn't. The people across the road did blank target shooting on horseback. Noisy. They'd ride their horses on the road, too. Not so noisy.
That's not Edwards there in the pic, so what airfield is it?
Oh, yeah, I know Santa Paula from when my ex, a pilot, and I would fly in there. One of the shortest runways we flew onto.
Looks like a massive project. I know they're doing a lot of building out there. What's that going to be?

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He looks VERY happy! *I hoist my miniblinds up about cat-height so they don't get destroyed. Experience I gained from 2 houses ago, where I didn't.* That's a really nice bowl he has, too. What a handsome guy!!!:purr:
No, I don't have Prime, but I recognize almost all of those places. Our place in the Mojave housed 2 horses when the original owners were in it, and most people around us had horses. We didn't. The people across the road did blank target shooting on horseback. Noisy. They'd ride their horses on the road, too. Not so noisy.
That's not Edwards there in the pic, so what airfield is it?
Oh, yeah, I know Santa Paula from when my ex, a pilot, and I would fly in there. One of the shortest runways we flew onto.
Looks like a massive project. I know they're doing a lot of building out there. What's that going to be?
Gosh, gotta stop sleeping on the FLOOR! Anyways, I think it makes him feel more comfortable with someone in the room with him.

Thanks, re. the bowl. It's a Necoichi raised bowl. He has two of them, (in photo) a food bowl, and a larger, water bowl as well.

The airfield, and graveyard is CA Logistics Airport. The lighted tower is Vulcan's quarry / refinery (?). The quarry is behind the mountain behind the tower, and the tower is where they process the rock (?). From our view point, I could see for miles. Loved watching the line of headlights to the north (especially on the weekends), and I could see a bit of I-15 to the south. Yup, I guess some may say, I live an exciting life! .... LOL Anyways, I guess I was know as the man and his dog/s. ... LOL ... Oh, and there is such a thing as watching cement dry, and not a figure of speech! ... LOL

The construction site I took from the air, was of the New Santa Paula Water Treatment Facility (completed in 2010, or was it 2011. Heck it was one of those years! ... lol). We took off from Santa Paula Airfield / Airport. I was told, Paul Newman owned a hanger at the airfield, back in the day! When you take off from the airfield / airport, you'll fly over the project.

We were at another Water Treatment Facility in the photos of Sugarfoot. Lived on that project for 14 months. The large green pipe behind Mikey and her husband is the natural (?) gas line from TX. I think it was the largest infrastructure project in the U.S., at that time. The line just happened to run along our north perimeter of the project. Interesting to watch them, for sure!

It has been quite awhile since I was on a construction site (sure miss the dirt).

OK, heading to a soft bed this time! ... lol

Pops

BTW, my boy Calvin passed on in April 2017 "RIP". I miss all of my dogs!

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put something soft on the floor to sleep on? Maybe one of those camping mattresses that you blow up? Or even an exercise mat. Thanks for the horse pics. I don't get to see them often, only when I go to the NY State Fair. Yeah, I had to raise my window shades permanently too. I keep them just high enough for the cats to look out at all times. It's a pain, since I don't know if people can see in, but it's better than them breaking them.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh, gotta stop sleeping on the FLOOR! Anyways, I think it makes him feel more comfortable with someone in the room with him.

Thanks, re. the bowl. It's a Necoichi raised bowl. He has two of them, (in photo) a food bowl, and a larger, water bowl as well.

The airfield, and graveyard is CA Logistics Airport. The lighted tower is Vulcan's quarry / refinery (?). The quarry is behind the mountain behind the tower, and the tower is where they process the rock (?). From our view point, I could see for miles. Loved watching the line of headlights to the north (especially on the weekends), and I could see a bit of I-15 to the south. Yup, I guess some may say, I live an exciting life! .... LOL Anyways, I guess I was know as the man and his dog/s. ... LOL ... Oh, and there is such a thing as watching cement dry, and not a figure of speech! ... LOL

The construction site I took from the air, was of the New Santa Paula Water Treatment Facility (completed in 2010, or was it 2011. Heck it was one of those years! ... lol). We took off from Santa Paula Airfield / Airport. I was told, Paul Newman owned a hanger at the airfield, back in the day! When you take off from the airfield / airport, you'll fly over the project.

We were at another Water Treatment Facility in the photos of Sugarfoot. Lived on that project for 14 months. The large green pipe behind Mikey and her husband is the natural (?) gas line from TX. I think it was the largest infrastructure project in the U.S., at that time. The line just happened to run along our north perimeter of the project. Interesting to watch them, for sure!

It has been quite awhile since I was on a construction site (sure miss the dirt).

OK, heading to a soft bed this time! ... lol

Pops

BTW, my boy Calvin passed on in April 2017 "RIP". I miss all of my dogs!
I'll probably never be there again, as my ex is my ex. Oh well, hope springs eternal. That was a scary runway. Along with Catalina, probably my top 2 scary runways.
Oh, I know all about gravel and concrete! Before the Mojave, we lived near Irwindale, famous for racing cars and a gravel pit. And in the Mojave, we had a conrete pumper put in a floor in one of our barn stalls, which we covered with boat-deck carpeting, for the barn crew's dining area. It was interesting as I'd never seen that done before. Ex was a finish carpenter at one time and we made a lot of projects for cats including cat houses (!), a modular way station for cats recovering from spay/neuter and/or other operations, and a perimiter fence and gate for protection for the outdoor crew when we lived near Irwindale in what I affectionately called "South SmellMo" -- conveniently and luxuriously located between one of the major SuperFund cleanup sites and a sewage treatment plant. Yeah, that's livin'. :headshake:

My dad was DWP. Spent a lot of time up in the Sierras.

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you put something soft on the floor to sleep on? Maybe one of those camping mattresses that you blow up? Or even an exercise mat. Thanks for the horse pics. I don't get to see them often, only when I go to the NY State Fair. Yeah, I had to raise my window shades permanently too. I keep them just high enough for the cats to look out at all times. It's a pain, since I don't know if people can see in, but it's better than them breaking them.
I thought about a matt of some sort, but all they had at Walmart was the thin one's used for exercises. I just placed a couple of moving quilts on the ground, then roughed it! ... LOL

I didn't know a thing about horse's back then, and still don't. Couple of the construction workers who owned horses, gave me tips on what to feed her, etc.. Talking to locals, they told me there wasn't any above ground water, and the construction workers, told me there isn't very much for her to eat.

We didn't have any resources coming into the project, e.g. water, and electric (I ran my motor home off a generator running 24 hours a day). So we brought everything in for her.

But it was an absolute honor helping her.

Re. the blinds. Oh well, they are history, so gotta get some new one's one day. ... LOL

Pops

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll probably never be there again, as my ex is my ex. Oh well, hope springs eternal. That was a scary runway. Along with Catalina, probably my top 2 scary runways.
Oh, I know all about gravel and concrete! Before the Mojave, we lived near Irwindale, famous for racing cars and a gravel pit. And in the Mojave, we had a conrete pumper put in a floor in one of our barn stalls, which we covered with boat-deck carpeting, for the barn crew's dining area. It was interesting as I'd never seen that done before. Ex was a finish carpenter at one time and we made a lot of projects for cats including cat houses (!), a modular way station for cats recovering from spay/neuter and/or other operations, and a perimiter fence and gate for protection for the outdoor crew when we lived near Irwindale in what I affectionately called "South SmellMo" -- conveniently and luxuriously located between one of the major SuperFund cleanup sites and a sewage treatment plant. Yeah, that's livin'. :headshake:

My dad was DWP. Spent a lot of time up in the Sierras.
Thank goodness, two of the four water treatment projects we were on were fresh / new builds. However, the project in AZ desert was pretty much next door to a large land fill. If I got close to it during certain times of the month. I wish I had a gas mask or something! ... lol ... My dog would lift her nose, took it all in, then gave an approved bark or two! ... lol

Pops

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about a matt of some sort, but all they had at Walmart was the thin one's used for exercises. I just placed a couple of moving quilts on the ground, then roughed it! ... LOL

I didn't know a thing about horse's back then, and still don't. Couple of the construction workers who owned horses, gave me tips on what to feed her, etc.. Talking to locals, they told me there wasn't any above ground water, and the construction workers, told me there isn't very much for her to eat.

We didn't have any resources coming into the project, e.g. water, and electric (I ran my motor home off a generator running 24 hours a day). So we brought everything in for her.

But it was an absolute honor helping her.

Re. the blinds. Oh well, they are history, so gotta get some new one's one day. ... LOL

Pops
We ran water into one of the barn stalls and put a sink and cabinets in there. The plan was to improve it all over time and put more outbuildings on the land for cats. It didn't happen, but what we did get done was an education for me, and fortunately, the place got sold to animal lovers who moved in with the ready-made barn compound, chicken yard, barn stall and henhouse, and catio built on to the house itself.

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey, I raised the blind! .... LOL ... OK, what I really did was (in lieu of sleeping), I took a drive to Petsmart. Guess what for?

Well, wanna take a guess?

Side note: this was the initial attempt covering the window. Final attempt, AND it's gonna stay that way, is I cut a space at the bottom so he can look out without being on either platforms. Too tired at present to take another photo, plus he's in his cave / carrier chill'in out at the moment.

I also filled in the space at the bottom of the tree, so he can't squeeze in there to hide.

One thing I've noticed is, he doesn't play with any toys. I bought one of thoughs wands, with yarn that attaches to a mouse. When I showed him that one. He immediately backed off, and took a defensive position. So, I immediately placed it away from him, and he was good to go again.

Going to try and catch a few Z's.

Pops

PS the windows sure looks terrible, don't they? One advise, not that I have to tell anyone. Don't hire Pops' to do a home makeover, or anything of that sort of work! ... LOL

PSS Last night, as it's gonna be tonight, was hot! It was so hot, you could see the haze in the air. The thermometer in my Jeep showed it cooled to 103.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice cat tree! Yeah, Demi busted one of my window blinds by bashing on it with his paws. Mommy open this right now! I have to tie it up on one side or it won't stay up...My cats only really like catnip toys.