Referral Needed, Re. Rescue Organization, Or Tnr Group

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand the fear. My feral ripped the palm of my hand open and I had to tape it up for 2 weeks. Now I'm much smarter about the way that I pick them up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand the fear. My feral ripped the palm of my hand open and I had to tape it up for 2 weeks. Now I'm much smarter about the way that I pick them up.
Yes, the only way I'll pick him up is by the back of his neck, and as warned, the only part of his body facing me will be his back.

He is becoming a chatter box. After he eats, he'll be close, and when I approach him, he'll start talking to me. However, if I get too close, (if laying) he'll get up and back off.

The little guy just doesn't understand. There is a nice cool air conditioned room waiting for him, a window with the best view of the street, were he can watch the neighbor's dog cruising his fence line. He has a new litter box, scratching post, and one of those cardboard figure eight scratchers, a set of Necoichi raised water and food bowls. He has his own radio, lamp, two beds, an I'll pick up a couple of baby blankets from Walmart as well.

And last, but not least. He'll be seeing my dog's DOC, to be vetted, fixed, vaccinated, and given a thorough check up. Not sure who's gonna give him a bath though. He's gonna need a good bath!

Another thing that has me worried. I saw a juvenile, or smaller sized Coyote enter one of the gates.

Pops

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's exactly why I brought Demi inside for good, I saw a coyote in the backyard one day...I've never scruffed my cats, I don't know how to do it, I'm afraid I would do it wrong....I tamed Demi by petting him with a long handled duster. It only took 3 days for me to be able to pet him with my hands. You could also use a backscratcher or sock taped to a stick.

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's exactly why I brought Demi inside for good, I saw a coyote in the backyard one day...I've never scruffed my cats, I don't know how to do it, I'm afraid I would do it wrong....I tamed Demi by petting him with a long handled duster. It only took 3 days for me to be able to pet him with my hands. You could also use a backscratcher or sock taped to a stick.
Thanks for the tip. He'll let me pet him while he's eating. A couple of times, he's walked between and brushed against my leg/s. I've been making a point to pet him while he's eating, even if it's only for a moment. I guess I'm setting him up for the pick up (but DON'T TELL HIM that ...lol).

When I have a bit more time. I'll try an get ahead of the learning curve, in what should I do when I bring him to his room?

Why does cat's have to make things so complicated?

This is only the second Coyote I've seen on the property. However, the property is large, so there could have been more since Calvin passed in April of 2017. Before then, as mentioned, he kept everything out.

Pops

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip. He'll let me pet him while he's eating. A couple of times, he's walked between and brushed against my leg/s. I've been making a point to pet him while he's eating, even if it's only for a moment. I guess I'm setting him up for the pick up (but DON'T TELL HIM that ...lol).

When I have a bit more time. I'll try an get ahead of the learning curve, in what should I do when I bring him to his room?

Why does cat's have to make things so complicated?

This is only the second Coyote I've seen on the property. However, the property is large, so there could have been more since Calvin passed in April of 2017. Before then, as mentioned, he kept everything out.

Pops
If he's talking to you and letting you pet him, he is not feral. Feral cats do not talk to humans and they don't allow physical contact. This is a big plus for bringing him in, which he should be right away. It sounds like you have an excellent setup for him with just about everything he could need. Enrichment such as cat activity centers ("cat trees"), scratching posts and/or pads (these do not have to be expensive -- most cats love the corrugated cardboard scratching pads you can get from CatClaws.com or at Petco or any other "pet" supply store) and some sturdy, safe cat toys (i.e., catnip toys, sparkle/twinkle balls, and their favorite, an interactive "wand" toy such as Cat Dancer or da Bird, available at the places I've mentioned). I have a radio in my "intro room" so I can turn on soft Classical music for the new cat. Come in and clean for him several times a day, sit with him and talk to him, play with him with the toys, and you're on your way! :yess:

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he's talking to you and letting you pet him, he is not feral. Feral cats do not talk to humans and they don't allow physical contact. This is a big plus for bringing him in, which he should be right away. It sounds like you have an excellent setup for him with just about everything he could need. Enrichment such as cat activity centers ("cat trees"), scratching posts and/or pads (these do not have to be expensive -- most cats love the corrugated cardboard scratching pads you can get from CatClaws.com or at Petco or any other "pet" supply store) and some sturdy, safe cat toys (i.e., catnip toys, sparkle/twinkle balls, and their favorite, an interactive "wand" toy such as Cat Dancer or da Bird, available at the places I've mentioned). I have a radio in my "intro room" so I can turn on soft Classical music for the new cat. Come in and clean for him several times a day, sit with him and talk to him, play with him with the toys, and you're on your way! :yess:
Thanks! That is good to know!

If I could, I'd already have him in his room. This is the reason I kept beating myself up when I made that mistake not this past Friday, but the one before! Once safe, I can finally relax a bit, and not worry so much, as I'm doing now. I haven't rest well in months, and losing his kitten just added to the mix of emotions.

The Fat Cat Trap and cover should be here this week. If it doesn't work, I'll pick up a large size Kennel at Petco, or Petsmart, as they have a matching price thing. As mentioned, I was close to ordering a PetMate Kennel. However, I thought I'd wait till I try the trap, as I'll now have $200.00 plus dollars in traps / one cover, and this is only to catch, ONE cat! ... lol

BTW, his room is emptied out, cept for his things, so there isn't anywhere he can hide! He has his carrier, which I keep in the Jeep. Luckily (I guess) I work 7 days a week. However, even if I didn't. I'd stop by to feed him twice, and give him fresh water, as I'm doing now.

Anther BTW. As all of my animals did, he's drinking bottled water! ... lol ... The meat loaf baking bowl I purchased for his water holds slightly over a third of a gallon of water, so no worries about evaporation, in addition the bowl is hidden under a table, out of the sun. Water bowl is cleaned, and filled nightly.

Pops

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! That is good to know!

If I could, I'd already have him in his room. This is the reason I kept beating myself up when I made that mistake not this past Friday, but the one before! Once safe, I can finally relax a bit, and not worry so much, as I'm doing now. I haven't rest well in months, and losing his kitten just added to the mix of emotions.

The Fat Cat Trap and cover should be here this week. If it doesn't work, I'll pick up a large size Kennel at Petco, or Petsmart, as they have a matching price thing. As mentioned, I was close to ordering a PetMate Kennel. However, I thought I'd wait till I try the trap, as I'll now have $200.00 plus dollars in traps / one cover, and this is only to catch, ONE cat! ... lol

BTW, his room is emptied out, cept for his things, so there isn't anywhere he can hide! He has his carrier, which I keep in the Jeep. Luckily (I guess) I work 7 days a week. However, even if I didn't. I'd stop by to feed him twice, and give him fresh water, as I'm doing now.

Anther BTW. As all of my animals did, he's drinking bottled water! ... lol ... The meat loaf baking bowl I purchased for his water holds slightly over a third of a gallon of water, so no worries about evaporation, in addition the bowl is hidden under a table, out of the sun. Water bowl is cleaned, and filled nightly.

Pops
Wow, you're really serious! This is great! *If it's really hot, you can add ice cubes to his drinking water for extra added comfort for him*
Can you take some of those traps back? Or will you be able to use them? Or maybe sell them?
All the BEST in your efforts and may be know you are trying to help him and come in from the cold (or heat) easily!:thanks::goodluck::goldstar:

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, you're really serious! This is great! *If it's really hot, you can add ice cubes to his drinking water for extra added comfort for him*
Can you take some of those traps back? Or will you be able to use them? Or maybe sell them?
All the BEST in your efforts and may be know you are trying to help him and come in from the cold (or heat) easily!:thanks::goodluck::goldstar:

LOL ... I'll more then likely keep the traps. Who am I kidding, I'll hold on to the traps.

Good idea on the ice cubes, but the water is cold when I change it, but it's so hot here, ice cubes wont keep it much cooler. I may however, begin using his Necoichi raised bowls to feed him to get the food off the asphalt. Presently, I'm placing a paper towel soaked in water in one Dixie bowl, then place another bowl on it with his food. If I don't serve the food in this way, the heat dries the food in minutes. In addition to help with the food evaporation, I've been feeding him half a can, watch him eat, then add the rest in the bowl. He also has another bowl with Beyond treats in it. Purina instructions says to give one treat per pound of body weight, but I thought I'd give him more (calorie wise) since he's fighting the heat during the day!

Most times I open two cans for him during his first meal. Any left over is place in my cooler, with the 3 degree Celsius ice packs in it. Keeps the food fresh, to serve along with his last meal for the night. I presently carry / bring with me 4 cans of Beyond, three tubs of Purely Fancy Feast (which he kind of loss the taste for, but keep it on hand anyways), his treats, some Beyond dry food, and a gallon of cool water.

He's been eating well though. He eats about 2 1/2 to 3 cans of Beyond. plus a bunch of, OK, a lot of treats a night.

WOW, lost track of the time. Gotta go feed the kid!

Thanks,

Pops

Last edited:

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 & maggiedemi; Thanks, but I don't think I'm doing what most would do in this situation. I gave it a serious thought last night, while talking to the kid. I figured I'd stop messing around, an give myself a week to get him out of the property, an in his, although modest room! It has the basics, till he see's DOC.

Pops

PS I forgot to ad, that he's getting Greenies Hairball treats as well.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you're doing fine. There's not really one "right" way, we all do our best. I didn't even use a trap, I just tamed Demi outside, then he walked in the front door. Maggie was in heat, so she was easier.

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you're doing fine. There's not really one "right" way, we all do our best. I didn't even use a trap, I just tamed Demi outside, then he walked in the front door. Maggie was in heat, so she was easier.
WOW, I only wish he would make it just a little a bit easier to help him. Cat's I guess, just wanna give a person a hard time!

I was thinking, if he was a dog. I'd have a collar and leash on him the day I met him. We'd be in my Jeep after my night was over.

Oh well, he ain't no dog, that's for certain! ... lol

Pops

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW, I only wish he would make it just a little a bit easier to help him. Cat's I guess, just wanna give a person a hard time!

I was thinking, if he was a dog. I'd have a collar and leash on him the day I met him. We'd be in my Jeep after my night was over.

Oh well, he ain't no dog, that's for certain! ... lol

Pops
You're just doing a GREAT job! He's eating like a king and he knows it, so it should not be too hard to get him to come in.

You're right -- there are very few things in common between the two species!

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 & maggiedemi; Thank you very much for your encouragement and support! I received my shipping notice for the cover this morning. I hope it gets here soon.

I may end up going to Petsmart when they open tomorrow morning. We'll see ....

Pops

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 & maggiedemi; Thank you very much for your encouragement and support! I received my shipping notice for the cover this morning. I hope it gets here soon.

I may end up going to Petsmart when they open tomorrow morning. We'll see ....

Pops
Well, a towel would work as well for a cover -- it just has to disguise the trap and soften its appearance, making it look more like part of the environment, and since cats are reportedly not great at seeing red and some other colors, it could be almost any color. But you sound like a *hardcore* cat rescuer already, A azpops and the right official equipment is paramount, yes? :yess:

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, a towel would work as well for a cover -- it just has to disguise the trap and soften its appearance, making it look more like part of the environment, and since cats are reportedly not great at seeing red and some other colors, it could be almost any color. But you sound like a *hardcore* cat rescuer already, A azpops and the right official equipment is paramount, yes? :yess:
Thanks for the tip. If the trap did arrive yesterday (will chk the PO this morning). I'll use a beach towel tonight to cover the trap.

Not sure about the hardcore rescuer though. I think it's more like a reality program titled, "the amateur hour"! ... LOL

Pops

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip. If the trap did arrive yesterday (will chk the PO this morning). I'll use a beach towel tonight to cover the trap.

Not sure about the hardcore rescuer though. I think it's more like a reality program titled, "the amateur hour"! ... LOL

Pops
Well, you're putting heart and soul into it, which is what's really important!

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, you're putting heart and soul into it, which is what's really important!
Thanks! Did mean to make light of your compliment (I hope I wrote that right?). Just trying to release some nervous tension with some humor.

I really appreciate both of your support and help though all of this!

The trap is here, and there is a significant size difference between the two traps. With the Fat Cat Trap, he'll be able to walk in without crouching, so lots of room. However, it looks like the trigger will need a bit more weight to close the trap door. So, we'll see how it goes this evening.

I'll go in a little earlier, so I am able to take / drive him directly to his room, and make it back to work on time. Positive thinking, right?

I just looked at all the things / equipment I have, and well, if no one knew any better. I do look like a Pro! ... lol

Oh, and I'm not forgetting to bring the beach towel to cover the trap!

Thanks again! Going to try (if I'm able to) and catch a few more Z's.

Pops

BTW, carrying a couple of zip ties in my briefcase, used to lock both doors! Absolutely NOT taking any chances! ... lol

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha, I was the same way, amateur hour. I didn't know anything about feral cats and had to make stuff up as I went along. :D