Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Vegetarian/vegan

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been trying new soup recipes this week. I made this fagioli soup on Tuesday. Hubby couldn't find good bread at the store so I made a quick no yeast bread to go with it.

IMG_9252.jpeg

IMG_9251.jpeg

Last night I tried a spinach/tofu wonton soup. I'd never made wonton soup before. It was time-intensive but worth it.

IMG_9261.jpeg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a few different Vegetarian Baked Beans recipes, but this is the one I make most often Not sure where I got the recipe, but probably somewhere online, and then modified to my own preferences.

Slow Cooker Vegetarian Baked Beans with Maple Syrup & Molasses

Ingredients

1 pound White Pea Beans (must be soaked overnight)

1 Onion (chopped)

1 cup Water
1 can (156 ml) Tomato Paste (6 ounce can would be fine)
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
1/4 cup Molasses
1 tablespoon White Vinegar
1 teaspoon Vegan Worcestershire Sauce (optional - see note below)
4 tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg

4 cups Water
salt to taste (optional)

Note: regular worcestershire sauce contains anchovies so is not vegetarian. The vegan version can be difficult to find, and is more expensive, so if you do not have any on hand, it can be omitted.

Directions

The night before you plan to make these, place beans in a large bowl or pot, cover the beans with water and soak overnight. The beans will increase in size, so ensure the bowl or pot is not too small and that plenty of water is covering the beans. Beans should soak for at least 8 hours.

In morning drain the beans, and rinse with cold water.

Add beans and onion to slow cooker.

In medium bowl, mix together 1 cup water, tomato paste, maple syrup, molasses, vinegar, vegan worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, dry mustard, black pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour over beans. (note: I have on occasion forgotten to mix these ingredients together in a bowl, and just put then in the slow cooker as I followed the ingredients list, and it's worked out fine.)

Add 4 cups of water.

Stir to combine.

I don't generally add much salt to my cooking, and have also read that salt will slow the cooking of the beans, so if I do add salt to this recipe, it's not till near the end of cooking time. And then just a few shakes.

Cook on low 8 to 10 hours, or until beans are tender. Makes approximately 8 cups.

1601902515409.png

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is another recipe I've been making ever since I first became vegetarian. It came from an old Diabetic magazine. As the only cheese is for sprinkling on top when served, recipe can easily be made vegan by omitting the cheese.

Red Kidney Beans and Tomato Rice

Ingredients

1 medium Onion (chopped)
1 small Green Pepper (seeded and chopped)
1 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
1 (19 ounce) can Tomatoes (I use Alymer Accent Original Petite Cut Stewed Tomatoes)
1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
1/2 teaspoon Vegetarian Worcestershire Sauce (note regular Worcestershire Sauce contains anchovies, so is not vegetarian. The vegetarian versions are usually only found in specialty stores, so I usually omit it)
1/4 teaspoon Celery Seed
1 (19 ounce) can Red Kidney Beans (drained and rinsed)
1 cup Cooked Rice
pinch Black Pepper
shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional)

Directions
In a medium saucepan, combine onion, green pepper and vegetable oil and sauté 5 minutes or so, or until vegetables start to soften. Add tomatoes, chili powder, worcestershire sauce and celery seed. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add red kidney beans, rice and black pepper. Stir to combine, then simmer another 10 minutes to combine flavours, stirring once or twice to prevent sticking to bottom of saucepan. After placing servings on plates, if desired, sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Makes approximately 4 (1 cup) servings. Any leftovers can be frozen for future meals.

View attachment 316422
Oh, that looks so good!!!!!!!!!!

For dinner i had fried zucchini sticks, pizza and a banana split. Not very healthy but sure was good.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's healthy to me. Zucchini & banana. And if there were any veggies on the pizza. And then the cheese adds protein. :thumbsup:
@
Yeah, i guess it wasn''t to bad. Even the ice cream had a little protein. It sure had a lot of calories. I see I put the post in the wrong section.

By the way, have you ever had walnut butter? I asked my brother to get me some if he can find it at Wegmans today. It is suppose to be high in omega 3 vitamins.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By the way, have you ever had walnut butter? I asked my brother to get me some if he can find it at Wegmans today. It is suppose to be high in omega 3 vitamins.
I haven't, but do put chopped walnuts in muffins, as well as salads, for that reason. However, baking might lessen some of the omega 3's. If your brother finds it, do let us know what it's like.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A great, flavorful small batch soup

LENTIL SOUP

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 medium leeks, white only, chopped
3-6 garlic cloves, minced
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatos (drained and chopped)
1 ½ cups chopped green cabbage
1 large bay leaf
2 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
7 cups canned vegetable (or chicken ) broth (4 cans).
1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
1/3 cup dried lentils, I prefer small brown ones.

Heat oil in large soup pot. Add leeks and sauté for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add all other ingredients except rice and lentils, reduce heat and cook 30 minutes. Add rice and lentils and cook about 30 minutes, until rice is tender.

M maggiedemi , I thought about you when I posted this soup recipe because between the pepper, garlic and leeks, it is quite a spicy soup. No hot sauce needed!

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure where this recipe originated, but likely a modification of one I saw online.

Slow Cooker Vegetarian Lasagna

Ingredients

3 cups assorted chopped vegetables (vegetables can include onions, green pepper, red pepper, mushrooms)
1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
4 cups tomato pasta sauce (pasta sauce can be either homemade or store bought)

1 egg
2 cups mozzarella cheese (grated)
1 cup cottage cheese

9 lasagna noodles, uncooked

Directions

Heat oil in large skillet. Add chopped vegetables and garlic and cook till softened. Add pasta sauce and mix to combine.

In a medium bowl, mix egg, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, and cottage cheese.
(the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella is for top)

Spray bottom and sides of slow cooker with Pam.

Spread 1/4 of the sauce mixture on the bottom of slow cooker. Add 3 of the uncooked lasagna noodles, breaking them apart to fit, if necessary. Spoon 1/2 the cheese mixture on top of noodles, another 1/4 of sauce and top with 3 more noodles broken to fit. Add the rest of the cheese mixture, another 1/4 of sauce topping with the last 3 noodles. Cover with the last 1/4 of sauce and sprinkle the 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese on top.

Cook on LOW 4 to 5 hours (or on HIGH 2 to 3 hours) checking towards the end to ensure it is not burning. Makes 7 to 8 servings.

1604587302837.png

1604587372210.png

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure where this recipe originated, but likely a modification of one I saw online.

Slow Cooker Vegetarian Lasagna

Ingredients

3 cups assorted chopped vegetables (vegetables can include onions, green pepper, red pepper, mushrooms)
1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
4 cups tomato pasta sauce (pasta sauce can be either homemade or store bought)

1 egg
2 cups mozzarella cheese (grated)
1 cup cottage cheese

9 lasagna noodles, uncooked

Directions

Heat oil in large skillet. Add chopped vegetables and garlic and cook till softened. Add pasta sauce and mix to combine.

In a medium bowl, mix egg, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, and cottage cheese.
(the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella is for top)

Spray bottom and sides of slow cooker with Pam.

Spread 1/4 of the sauce mixture on the bottom of slow cooker. Add 3 of the uncooked lasagna noodles, breaking them apart to fit, if necessary. Spoon 1/2 the cheese mixture on top of noodles, another 1/4 of sauce and top with 3 more noodles broken to fit. Add the rest of the cheese mixture, another 1/4 of sauce topping with the last 3 noodles. Cover with the last 1/4 of sauce and sprinkle the 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese on top.

Cook on LOW 4 to 5 hours (or on HIGH 2 to 3 hours) checking towards the end to ensure it is not burning. Makes 7 to 8 servings.

View attachment 357715

View attachment 357716
You guys are killing me.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These look yummy and easy to make. I guess by "2 ingredient" they mean the broccoli and chickpea flour. Other vegetables would work well in the recipe, as suggested here (basically an earlier version of the same article).

2-Ingredient Broccoli Fritters

Serves 4, Makes 8 (3-inch) fritters

Ingredients
  • 1 pound broccoli
  • 1/2 cup chickpea flour, plus more as needed
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons water, plus more as needed
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • Flaky salt, for garnishing (optional)
Instructions
  1. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath by filling a medium bowl halfway with ice and water. Trim 1/2-inch off the woody, dried-out bottom of the stems of 1 pound broccoli and discard. Cut the florets away from the stems into bite-sized pieces, then cut the stems into bite-sized pieces.

2. Add the broccoli florets and stems to the boiling water. Cook until bright green and crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer with the slotted spoon to the ice bath and let sit for 1 minute. Remove from the ice bath to a paper towel-lined baking sheet or large plate to drain.

3. Pour the ice bath out of the bowl, dry the bowl, and set aside. Transfer the broccoli florets and stems to a cutting board. Squeeze dry the paper towel used to drain the broccoli, return it to the baking sheet or large plate, and reserve. Finely chop the broccoli and add it to the now-empty bowl. Add 1/2 cup chickpea flour, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Toss to coat.

4. Drizzle 2 tablespoons water into the bowl and stir to combine. Check to see if you can form a patty in your hands and it holds together. The batter should be sticky but not overly wet and runny. If it’s too dry, add a little more water to the mixture; if it’s too wet, add a little more chickpea flour.

5. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Swirl so that it coats the bottom of the pan. Use a 1/4-cup measuring cup to drop 4 mounds of batter into the pan, leaving an inch or two or space between each. Flatten each mound slightly with a flat spatula.

6. Fry until golden-brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to the paper towel-lined plate used to dry the blanched broccoli and sprinkle with flaky salt, if desired. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and remaining batter.
Recipe Notes
Storage: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. To freeze, place fritters on a wax- or parchment paper-lined baking sheet and freeze until solid. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, heat on a baking sheet in a 325°F oven until warmed through.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Somehow in my travels around the internet
biggrin2.gif
I discovered a description of the Nowruz holiday, a sort of new year's holiday celebrated mostly in Iran now, around the time of the spring equinox. Very interesting. One of the traditional dishes they make for this holiday is ash-reshteh. It's a soup made with noodles, beans, greens, and herbs. I made a batch and it's delicious.

biggrin2.gif IMG_0875.jpeg IMG_0880.jpeg

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hyacinths are the traditional flower for Nowruz.

Today is chilly and windy, clear skies and full wolf moon. I made meatloaf, a baked potato for him, a baked sweet potato for me, with simmered orange and yellow carrots and celery as a side dish.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a pretty good bacon recipe I really enjoy making. I took the traditional "spring roll rice paper bacon" and really tweaked the recipe to make it taste better. I hated the original.

Ingredients:
spring roll rice paper sheets
liquid smoke
salt
pepper
paprika (for color)
olive oil
water
nutritional yeast

I get a dinner size plate out and fill it with water. Then I'll grab two to three rice paper rounds (depending on how thick you want it) and flip them back and fourth in the water until all layers are soaked. I then quickly cut them into strips and place them on a greased baking sheet. It's best to have the topping already made because once the rice paper gets wet it can get difficult to handle if it sits too long. I never use exact measurements (I'm lazy) but I can give a rough estimate of what to use. It really doesn't matter too much as long as everything is in there. Mix about half a cup of nutritional yeast, a couple teaspoons of liquid smoke, as much paprika as you want for the color, 1/8 of a cup or more olive oil, and as much water as you need after that to get it to a spreadable, thick liquid consistency. The salt/pepper is to taste (I like it really salty) so I add a few teaspoons. After it's all mixed it should have a yogurt type thickness and then you just spread it on both sides of the rice paper strips. Be sure to coat them well. Then I put them in the oven at about 375 (temp doesn't matter too much, between 350-425 should be fine) and closely watch them. Sometimes they take longer but they're usually ready in less than ten minutes. I don't have any good pictures but I'll post the only one I could find on my phone. If anyone is more interested, next time I make them I can post step by step pictures. I've found it has the most realistic texture to any vegan bacon I've ever found and the taste is nearly there. If anything I would say it tastes a bit more like roasted chicken skin, but it's still really good. Great on BLT's as well.

unnamed.jpg

Yes, I did take a bite out of it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That does look somewhat bacon-y, B Beholder , especially right there by your thumb. I, however, don't miss bacon, at all, so it's not something I want to try duplicating.

But what about chicken strips? Have you ever made a vegetarian/vegan version that is as good as the faux ones? I tried a recipe once that used chickpeas, but they were horrible.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That does look somewhat bacon-y, B Beholder , especially right there by your thumb. I, however, don't miss bacon, at all, so it's not something I want to try duplicating.

But what about chicken strips? Have you ever made a vegetarian/vegan version that is as good as the faux ones? I tried a recipe once that used chickpeas, but they were horrible.
Funny enough I never liked bacon when I used to eat meat. Actually, the only meat I ever really liked was beef but it's been so long I don't even remember the taste. I guess there's just something about having all of these alternatives that have sparked my interest.

I've never eaten an actual chicken strip before so I'm not sure. Are they the like breaded ones or are they unbreaded? If you're talking about the breaded ones I really like the Trader Joe's brand, but I've never tried to make them myself.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never eaten an actual chicken strip before so I'm not sure. Are they the like breaded ones or are they unbreaded? If you're talking about the breaded ones I really like the Trader Joe's brand, but I've never tried to make them myself.
My favourite ones are the seven grain crispy tenders | Gardein, which have a crispy coating.