Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Vegetarian/vegan

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vegan Worcestershire Sauce* (to taste)
Salt & Pepper (to taste, if desired)
Cheddar Cheese (grated)
How much worchestershire, salt, pepper did you use? 1/2 Tsp?
The only bottled grated cheese I've seen here is paremesan. Did you grate a block of cheddar? What about shredded?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How much worchestershire, salt, pepper did you use? 1/2 Tsp?
I skipped the salt and pepper, actually. I'm not a big fan of salt, and figured the tomato soup and mustard had enough sodium. If I'd used either, I would have just shook in a little. Less is always a good start, then add more if you think it needs it.

The original recipe says "to taste" for the worchestershire, and I think I used to just shake the bottle 2 or 3 times. So not a lot.

The only bottled grated cheese I've seen here is paremesan. Did you grate a block of cheddar? What about shredded?
I grated some off a block of cheddar. Shredded would probably work too, if you had some. I don't put a lot of cheese, as it gets, well, "cheesy". But it depends, of course, on how much you like cheese. 🧀

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I posted this in the fellow Vegetarian thread, but then this thread was pointed out to me, so here it is again! :)

Since I've eaten meat my entire life up until the last 12 months, and my fiancé is very much a meat-eater, I'm always on the look-out for 'meaty' meat-free recipes that'll satisfy the both of us.

One of my all-time favourite foods as a meat eater was chilli con carne. After a few lacklustre veggie chilli attempts I stumbled across this version, and it has been a firm favourite in our household ever since. Essentially, make it with several types of beans, divide the chilli into two, blitz one portion, then mix back together. The texture is spot on and even meat-eaters love it. Very easy to make entirely vegan, or load it with cheese etc.!

Cookie and Kate - Vegetarian Chilli Recipe

View attachment 342114

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I made this last night, so thought I'd post it for anyone looking for a quick and easy vegetarian meal.

Broccoli and Tomato Pasta

Ingredients

2 cups Broccoli (chopped into bite size pieces)
2 cups Rotini Pasta (penne works too)
2 cups Tomato Pasta Sauce

Notes
With only 3 ingredients, the recipe can easily be adjusted to make more or less servings. Using 2 cups of each ingredient, makes approximately 3 one cup servings.

For the pasta sauce, I use Classico Tomato & Basil, but any tomato based Marinara sauce would work, as would a home made tomato sauce. And though I listed 2 cups as the amount of pasta sauce to use, I just kind of add spoonfuls until I think there's enough to cover the pasta.

Keeping it easy, the broccoli is cooked in the water with the pasta. The broccoli, however, can also be cooked separately, and then added to the pasta at the same time as the sauce.

Directions

In large pot, bring water to a boil. Add pasta and broccoli and cook until pasta is al dente, about 7 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent pasta from sticking to bottom of pot.

Drain pasta and broccoli and return to pot.

Add pasta sauce. Stir to mix. Simmer on low heat until warmed through.

Remove pot from heat and transfer pasta mixture to serving dish.

IMG_1838.jpg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Add pasta sauce. Stir to mix. Simmer on low heat until warmed through.
Thanks. Do you have to return it to a boil after you add the pasta sauce and before you reduce heat to simmer? How long did you simmer? Covered or Uncovered?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks. Do you have to return it to a boil after you add the pasta sauce and before you reduce heat to simmer? How long did you simmer? Covered or Uncovered?
I covered it, and left the burner on the lowest setting, so I don't think it came to a boil. A light boil might be ok, but you don't want the pasta sticking to the bottom of the pot. I simmered / let it warm until a taste test of a piece of pasta was warm, so probably only 2 or 3 minutes.. Because it was an unopened jar of sauce, it was room temperature so likely heated up faster than if it had been refrigerated. And of course, the pasta and broccoli was still warm from being boiled, so it probably helped heat the sauce too.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These look like good dinners to have on a cool fall night :) Posted at Recipes: Two hearty Tuscan dishes that let beans and potatoes shine - The Boston Globe

Tuscan Soup With Bread, Beans, and Greens (Ribollita)

Makes 4 servings
In Italian, ribollita means “reboiled,” a reference to this dish’s origins as peasant food — leftover bread, beans, and inexpensive vegetables were thrown into a pot and simmered to make a hearty soup. For our version, we cut the bread into cubes, toast it in olive oil, and use it as a garnish so that it better retains its texture. We like red Swiss chard for the color it adds, but any variety works well. Great Northern beans hold their shape nicely, but you could use cannellini beans instead. If you like, serve topped with grated Parmesan cheese.
Use the chard stems — chop and cook them with the onion and bell pepper for added texture and flavor.

5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided, plus extra to serve
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
5 ounces rustic bread, such as ciabatta, cut into 1-inch cubes (4 cups)
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
1 bunch red Swiss chard, stems removed and sliced ¼-inch thick, leaves cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces and reserved separately
6 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1½ quarts low-sodium chicken broth (can substitute vegetable broth)
2 15½-ounce cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed

In a medium bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons of the oil, the paprika, and ¾ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the bread and toss to coat. Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, then add the bread and cook, stirring, until crisp and brown, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil and heat until shimmering. Add the onion, bell pepper, and chard stems. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and fennel seeds and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the chard leaves and cook, stirring, until beginning to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a simmer, then reduce to medium heat. Stir in the beans, then cover and cook until the chard leaves are tender, 7 to 9 minutes.
Off the heat, taste and season with salt and pepper, if necessary. Ladle into bowls, drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with the croutons.

Tuscan Braised Potatoes (Patate in Umido)

Tuscan braised potatoes (patate in umido).

Makes 4 servings
This vegetable stew is based on a recipe in Autentico: Cooking Italian, the Authentic Way, by Rolando Beramendi. The potatoes are cooked using a technique that’s often employed with risotto: the liquid is incorporated in multiple additions. This concentrates flavors while using the potatoes' natural starch to create a sauce that clings lightly to the chunks. We like the flavor backbone of chicken broth, but you could make this dish vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth.

A narrow pot won’t work here; the wide diameter of a Dutch oven allows for more rapid evaporation of liquid. Also, don’t use lower-starch potatoes, such as red, white, or Yukon gold. Russets are the best choice, because their starchiness gives them a light, tender texture when cooked and lends the sauce a velvety quality.

¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more to serve
2 small red onions, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
3 medium garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
14½-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided (can substitute vegetable broth)
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
8-inch sprig fresh rosemary
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
½ cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped

In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, combine the oil, onions, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions just begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and stir to coat with the oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potato starch that coats the bottom of the pot starts to brown, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, 1 cup of broth, the pepper flakes, the rosemary, and ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then distribute the potatoes in an even layer. Cook, occasionally scraping along the bottom of the pot with a silicone spatula and gently folding the mixture, for 10 minutes; adjust the heat as needed to maintain a steady simmer.

Add ½ cup of the remaining broth and cook, occasionally scraping and folding, for another 10 minutes. Add the remaining 1 cup broth in 2 additions in the same way, cooking for only 5 minutes after the final addition and stirring gently so the potatoes don’t break up. Cover the pot, remove from the heat, and let stand for 5 minutes.
Stir in half the basil, then season to taste. Remove and discard the rosemary, then transfer the potatoes to a bowl, drizzle with additional oil, and sprinkle with the remaining basil.

Last edited:

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
These aren't main dishes but they're great vegetarian snacks. Last year I needed a kid-friendly dish I could carry out to a picnic and found this recipe for lasagna cupcakes. I substituted soy crumbles for the ground beef. My son-in-law, who's an avid hunter and meat-aholic, did not believe me when I told him he was eating soy crumbles. He swore it was ground sausage and loved it.

Yesterday I tried a Mexican variation on the same theme, taco cups, again substituting soy for the beef.

Super easy and good recipes.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise