Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Vegetarian/vegan

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
This is a recipe I found online back around 2008 when I first became vegetarian. It may still be online, but a quick Google search didn't find it, so I am unable to post a link to the original recipe. I may have varied it a bit to my own preferences, as well.

As the recipe includes cheese and egg, it is vegetarian, not vegan.

Lentil Loaf

Ingredients

1 cup Brown Lentils (dry)
1 medium Onion (chopped)
1/2 cup Celery (chopped)
1/2 cup Rolled Oats (quick cooking not instant)
1/2 cup Bread Crumbs (Italian-seasoned)
1/4 cup Walnuts (chopped)
1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese (chopped)
2 teaspoons Veggie Bouillon*
1 clove Garlic (crushed)
1 teaspoon Basil
1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 tablespoon Margarine
1 Egg (lightly beaten)
3/4 cup Tomato Sauce

*the amount of veggie bouillon will depend on the brand. I currently am using Epicure Vegetable Broth Mix which is very low sodium. As the bouillon is used to add flavour, less may be required if using another brand.

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease loaf pan with margarine or cooking spray. A piece of parchment paper can also be put on the bottom of the pan to prevent loaf from sticking.

Sort through lentils and rinse with cold water to remove any dust or debris. Add lentils to a pot of boiling water and cook till tender. (approximately 20 minutes)

While lentils are cooking, combine onion, celery, rolled oats, bread crumbs, walnuts, cheese, veggie bouillon, garlic, basil and pepper in a large bowl.

Add cooked lentils, and mix together. Then add margarine and mix till melted. Then add egg and tomato sauce. Mix again.

Press lentil mixture into loaf pan. Bake uncovered 45 to 50 minutes, or until knife comes out almost clean

Let cool at least 5 minutes. Run knife around edges. Turn out onto serving platter. Makes 1 loaf.

Here's a pic of my most recent version.

View attachment 313413
I made this last night—delicious! I liked the crunch that the walnuts give it. Thanks for posting the recipe.

775C823D-8085-47A7-8A2F-7DAA7F022A7F.jpeg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Is cheese ok for vegetarians? If not, you can omit the cheese or substitute a vegetarian "cheese" or something else.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is cheese ok for vegetarians? If not, you can omit the cheese or substitute a vegetarian "cheese" or something else.
Generally, yes, as by definition it is only meat that vegetarians don't eat. But of course, some vegetarians still might not eat cheese, or for that matter eggs.

Vegans, however, do not eat any animal products at all, including cheese.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is another recipe I've been making ever since I first became vegetarian. It came from an old Diabetic magazine. As the only cheese is for sprinkling on top when served, recipe can easily be made vegan by omitting the cheese.

Red Kidney Beans and Tomato Rice

Ingredients

1 medium Onion (chopped)
1 small Green Pepper (seeded and chopped)
1 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
1 (19 ounce) can Tomatoes (I use Alymer Accent Original Petite Cut Stewed Tomatoes)
1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
1/2 teaspoon Vegetarian Worcestershire Sauce (note regular Worcestershire Sauce contains anchovies, so is not vegetarian. The vegetarian versions are usually only found in specialty stores, so I usually omit it)
1/4 teaspoon Celery Seed
1 (19 ounce) can Red Kidney Beans (drained and rinsed)
1 cup Cooked Rice
pinch Black Pepper
shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional)

Directions
In a medium saucepan, combine onion, green pepper and vegetable oil and sauté 5 minutes or so, or until vegetables start to soften. Add tomatoes, chili powder, worcestershire sauce and celery seed. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add red kidney beans, rice and black pepper. Stir to combine, then simmer another 10 minutes to combine flavours, stirring once or twice to prevent sticking to bottom of saucepan. After placing servings on plates, if desired, sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Makes approximately 4 (1 cup) servings. Any leftovers can be frozen for future meals.

IMG_0461.jpg

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
I made this spaghetti squash recipe last night. It was delicious! It was also time-consuming, but it could be made in parts--the lentil sauce could be made the day before. The store I went to didn't have fennel bulbs, so I substituted celery and used 1-1/2 tsp. of fennel seed instead of the 1 tsp. that the recipe called for.

IMG_5735.jpeg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I made this spaghetti squash recipe last night. It was delicious! It was also time-consuming, but it could be made in parts--the lentil sauce could be made the day before. The store I went to didn't have fennel bulbs, so I substituted celery and used 1-1/2 tsp. of fennel seed instead of the 1 tsp. that the recipe called for.

View attachment 316756
Oh, that looks so good, betsygee betsygee , And would certainly work just as well with regular spaghetti/pasta. I'd have to omit the carrots though, as I have a weird thing in that carrots don't belong in pasta sauce. :crazy:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's another recipe I make. Not sure which website I originally found it on, but again I probably modified it to my own tastes.

Slow Cooker Quinoa Chili

Ingredients

1 cup Quinoa (uncooked)
1 can (19 oz) Kidney beans
1 can (19 oz) Black beans
1 can (28 oz) Diced tomatoes
1 can (19 oz) seasoned tomatoes
1 cup Frozen corn
1 large Green pepper (chopped)
1 large Onion (chopped)
2 cloves Garlic (minced)
1 teaspoon Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon Chili powder
2 cups Water

Directions
Rinse Quinoa, if not pre-rinsed. Drain and rinse kidney beans and black beans.

Add quinoa, kidney beans, black beans, diced tomatoes (undrained), seasoned tomatoes (undrained), frozen corn, green pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, crushed red pepper, chili powder and water to slow cooker. Stir to mix.

Cook on low 5 to 7 hours. Makes approximately 10 cups. Leftovers can be frozen.

1579466881424.png

Last edited:

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
I used some of the butternut squash and corn mix that I had leftover from the recipe above ⬆ as enchilada filling for this recipe. It was delicious. If you don't like really spicy foods, you could use just one chipotle chili instead of the 2-3 it calls for in the mole.

IMG_6431.jpeg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is the vegetarian version of a recipe a friend gave me back before I stopped eating meat. Recently I bought some veggie ground round for the first time, so dusted off the recipe, and was pleased with the result. For the first several ingredients I use measurements, but for the rest I just eyeball the amounts.

Egg Noodle Casserole

Ingredients
1 medium Onion (chopped)
1 small Green Pepper (seeded and chopped)
1 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
1 cup Frozen Peas
1 1/2 cups Egg Noodles (I used Extra Broad No Yolks noodles)
1 (10 oz) can Tomato Soup
1 cup Veggie Ground Round (I used Gardein Beefless Ground)
Mustard (to taste, probably at least 1 tablespoon)
Vegan Worcestershire Sauce* (to taste)
Salt & Pepper (to taste, if desired)
Cheddar Cheese (grated)

*Original recipe called for Worcestershire Sauce, which is not vegetarian. Since I rarely have vegan Worcestershire Sauce, the first time I made the veggie version of this recipe, I just omitted it. The second time I added about 1/2 teaspoon of white vinegar. Not sure if it made much difference, but it's an option. FYI, this is the vegan Worcestershire Sauce I use: Annie's Organic & Vegan Worcestershire Sauce.

Directions
In a large frying pan or skillet, combine onion, green pepper and vegetable oil and sauté 10 minutes, or until vegetables start to soften. If veggies start to stick to bottom of pan, adding a bit of water will help.

Meanwhile, cook peas and egg noodles together in pot of boiling water, following cooking time as per the egg noodle package directions.

When peas and noodles are cooked, drain and add to vegetable mixture. Add tomato soup, veggie ground round, mustard, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Mix to combine, and simmer 2 or 3 minutes.

Put in lightly greased casserole dish. Sprinkle grated cheese over top. Cover and cook in 350 F oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

1583499504624.png

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not vegetarian or vegan, but I just got this vegan cookbook for my birthday. My brother has made recipes out of it and they ar delicious.

A lot of their recipes are on their blog
Recipes | Thug Kitchen

WARNING: They swear A LOT on their website and in their cookbook, so don’t be too shocked when you click.