Radioactive Therapy For Hyperthyroidism

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I told you, please join the HT Yahoo! Group, they have addresses and advices for many and many facilities around US, Canada and the rest of the world.
This is where I found the address of the clinic in Belgium that I went to with my cat in August 2017.

If it wasn't for them, I would have never been able to treat my cat, because all other clinics in Europe that I was able to find would ask for a referral, that my vets didn't want to give. The clinic in Belgium didn't need to have a referral, they just wanted to talk to the cat's owner.
I wouldn't have been able to find that clinic without them.
In Italy, where I live, there are no radio-iodine clinics, that's why I had to go abroad.
I will be always grateful to that Group for helping me out!

Last year I didn't have a car, so I rented one and drove 12 hours (680+ miles) to reach that clinic. So I understand you about long distances!

I can partly understand you wanting to know part of your country more, but in this moment the focus of your thoughts should be the utmost care and wellness of Felix. It doesn't matter if the only place that you can afford isn't appealing.
You'll have time for travelling and seeing new places.

The cost of that Y/D from your vet sounds a bit high
Over here a 24-can case of wet Y/D (156 g each can) is €43.00, that is about $65.
A 1.5 kg pack of dry Y/D food is €20.00, that is about $30.
Total, less than $100 CDN.
I don't know what you can do now that they have ordered it for you. Can you cancel the order?
As I had told you, my cat disliked it, but I have read many reviews where customers say that their cats liked it and their thyroid levels were back to normal values within few months.
I'd say that, if you aren't able to cancel the order, you could at least try that food. The list of ingredients doesn't look that bad to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Riverview called back this morning but I was asleep. Called them back but the technician is in isolation so I have to wait for more information. Will move forward once I hear what they have to say.

UPDATE: Riverview is looking very promising. They are waiting for 2 more patients to let them know if they want the procedure done. They do the radioactive iodine in batches of 3 (3 cats that is). They do everything same day. Physical and all. He will be in isolation for 4 days with the other cats (no contact of course). This is oral however because the injections are on backorder. The total cost is $1,904.34 after tax for blood work, hospital stay, etc. Everything. I would only need to be in NB for about 6 days. They might be able to do it before Christmas but probably more like January.

So that plus a hotel for $150 or less a night and food for Felix and I, litter, plane ticket ($250). . . I'm thinking this will all be about $3,480 or a little more.

My vet is going to fill out the referral and send it in next week. I've been looking in the area the clinic is and found some pet friendly hotels for under $70!

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom asked how long it would take to get to NB by plane and I told her about the distance and cost. Then, she asked, "Why don't you just take a bus?" And I was shocked because it never occurred to me. But when I looking into it, it'll be cheaper yes but we'd be travelling for a full 24 hours and more. How would a cat do on such a trip?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom asked how long it would take to get to NB by plane and I told her about the distance and cost. Then, she asked, "Why don't you just take a bus?" And I was shocked because it never occurred to me. But when I looking into it, it'll be cheaper yes but we'd be travelling for a full 24 hours and more. How would a cat do on such a trip?
I wouldn't go by bus. It's too a long trip.
How would you manage the use of the litter tray or other needs on a bus?
What if Felix starts howling in the middle of the trip and some other person on the bus complains with the driver?
I'd say that the little difference in the plane ticket price is worth it.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I was thinking. Not worth it then. Really hope this can get done at a time when the snow isn't too bad because from what I've heard, NB can see up to 100 inches of snow. But if we're flying, it probably won't be an issue.

Thank you for your help everyone! Couldn't have done this without all of you! :heartshape::hugs::redheartpump::grouphug:

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My opinion is to have your cat treated with radio-iodine as soon as possible, and to stop methimazole as soon as possible.

Methimazole is not a cure for hyperthyroidism, is a way to keep the side effects of this disease under control.
Methimazole's function is to keep thyroid hormones level down, but the thyroid is getting worse and worse every day, and in order to keep the hormones at bay you need to adjust/increase the dosage periodically.
That's why you need to re-check the thyroid every 4-6 weeks. This is the time needed for the drug to have an effect on the disease.

Unfortunately hyperthyroidism also affects a cat's heart, liver, kidneys and pancreas, and methimazole can't do anything to avoid it. Furthermore, the methimazole is also causing irreparable damages to liver and stomach.
That's why in some cases the eargel form is preferred over the pills.
Many many vets do not agree on the damages from methimazole. My cat had severe and irreversible damages to her liver. Another member of this forum had the same situation with her cat. So, vets are wrong.

The only effective and definitive cure for HT is the radio-iodine.
It is a one-off injection. After a few days the cat can be taken home and everything will be fine from that moment on.
I was a vet tech at a clinic who treated this condition by the Iodine therapy. We injected iodine/gold pellets into the area, and the cat was quarantined for about 2-3 weeks. It had a really good success rate.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a vet tech at a clinic who treated this condition by the Iodine therapy. We injected iodine/gold pellets into the area, and the cat was quarantined for about 2-3 weeks. It had a really good success rate.
I guess that the procedures have changed.
In the last years a cat is only kept in isolation for about a week or less.
My cat was discharged 4 days later with a certificate of low radiation emission.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I was thinking. Not worth it then. Really hope this can get done at a time when the snow isn't too bad because from what I've heard, NB can see up to 100 inches of snow. But if we're flying, it probably won't be an issue.

Thank you for your help everyone! Couldn't have done this without all of you! :heartshape::hugs::redheartpump::grouphug:
Do not vanish, though :lol:
Keep us posted with all the next steps.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought the Hills y/d for Felix but he absolutely despises it. I mixed it with his old food and he eats out the old food and leave the y/d. Even the wet food disgust him. I asked the vet if I could not buy the wet food and just take the dry and she told me that they already ordered it for me so I have to take it. To my surprise the wet food was a miraculous $82.50 and the dry was only $38 and some change. I emailed them and asked what I should do with it since he doesn't like it and they said it'll take time for him to warm up to it. But I know my cat, if he doesn't like it now, he's not going to like it later. So I just wasted $136 on useless food. Now I have to spend even more to refill his tapazole. :frustrated:

Also still haven't heard from Riverview so I'm wondering if I should call them again. I have the money, I'm ready for this. I'm just waiting for them to give me the go ahead to book the plane ticket.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought the Hills y/d for Felix but he absolutely despises it. I mixed it with his old food and he eats out the old food and leave the y/d. Even the wet food disgust him.
Same thing here, last year...

Now I have to spend even more to refill his tapazole. :frustrated:
Can I ask you how much you pay for your pills or eargel?
I had purchased a 100-pill pack for €5 (I had to split the pills in 4 parts).
But when I switched to the eargel it was about €10 each syringe that Icould use for about 8 days.

Also still haven't heard from Riverview so I'm wondering if I should call them again. I have the money, I'm ready for this. I'm just waiting for them to give me the go ahead to book the plane ticket.
You better call them again. Some clinics are famous for not keeping trace of their potential customers.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually pay $117 after tax for 100 tablets but the dosage was too high so I have cut back, and they lasted him longer.

So strange... I called to see if there were any updates and if Mary had received the referral I sent and they said they don't have a Mary at their clinic? :think:

Anyway, they don't know when the next scheduled Radioiodine treatment will be because right now, I am the only one pushing for it. No one else has come forward wanting the treatment. The head doctor in charge of it will be back on the weekend so I have to wait for her to hear anything.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually pay $117 after tax for 100 tablets but the dosage was too high so I have cut back, and they lasted him longer.
My God, that's expensive!

So strange... I called to see if there were any updates and if Mary had received the referral I sent and they said they don't have a Mary at their clinic? :think:
This is weird...
The only thing that comes to my mind is that the last time you called, the janitor took the call and played a trick on you! :think:

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my girl Onyx got the I-131 Treatment in late August. She just had her 3 month blood check (final time) and is CURED of Hyperthyroid. I live south of Boston and the total for her stay and treatment (with ALL testing) was around $2400. I have been posting (on here) about Onyx's problems since July. Please feel free to read my thread. - I-131 Treatment For Hyperthyroid Cat

Get your cat on a list for the I-131 asap. it may be a few weeks to months before someone can get her in. Those pills are evil, Onyx had every bad reaction to them, i wish I had never given them to her.

Please feel free to email me any questions if you think I can help.
Best wishes, Chris (BTW, Antonio65 helped me with Onyx alot along the way too)