Radioactive Therapy For Hyperthyroidism

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet called back very early this morning. I just called back to ask about what happened and why I haven't heard from them. They said that they do longer do radioactive iodine therapy and the waitlist for the treatment is 6+ months.

I wish they had mentioned that over the phone when I called. They made it seem like they were still providing that service. That's the only clinic I know of that does it except for University of Guelph but I have no idea how to contact them.

The vet who diagnosed Felix told me that after Mississauga Oakville told him that they don't offer that treatment anymore, he contacted 2 others and all are the same. It's as if they are getting rid of it which doesn't make any sense. It's still on their website as a treatment option and when I called, they said I had to call my vet to get a referral for it. I'm really confused.

He has referred me to the clinic downtown Toronto with the 6 month wait period. I don't know how much longer I can do this. Felix is vomiting almost everyday now and all he does is sleep. I don't think these pills are doing any good other than keeping him somewhat stable.

I think the clinic is this place: Veterinary Emergency Clinic | VEC SOUTH: 920 Yonge St. – (416) 920-2002 VEC NORTH: 280 Sheppard Ave. East – (416) 226-3663

I-131: Radioiodine Treatment | Veterinary Emergency Clinic

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your vet HAS to find an alternative!
He knows, he must know, where this treatment is still available. A six months waiting list is unacceptable.
Usually, in cases like yours, the patient is accepted at the facility within days.

When I called the facility where I went to, they asked me what dates, among a few they had, was the more suitable for me.

I think that Canada is pursuing a "non radioactive veterinary treatments" path. Probably it is a way to save on the disposal of the toxic wastes?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It says:

NOTICE (last updated July 2018): In December 2017 the VEC was informed that the supplier for radioactive iodine had been forced to temporarily stop production by their regulatory body. At this time the product is now available and we are in the process or preparing to relaunch the program – we expect this will take place in the fall of 2018.

RDVMs please note that at this time we have a 2-3 month wait list of patients for the program once it is re-initiated.

So it seems that there is something like what I was suspecting. A change in the regulations?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
That's probably what it is but I can't find any other clinics close enough. My mom has gone back to work and my dad is barely home. I have a license but no car to drive so I won't be able to take him very far. I don't know what his condition is supposed to look like 6 months from now. That sounds like an eternity.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's probably what it is but I can't find any other clinics close enough. My mom has gone back to work and my dad is barely home. I have a license but no car to drive so I won't be able to take him very far. I don't know what his condition is supposed to look like 6 months from now. That sounds like an eternity.
My cat was on Methimazole for a year before the I-131 therapy.
She wasn't that bad, but what I think it happened is that the drug affected in an irreversible way her liver... she died to a serious liver disease... :(

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Correct. That is what I was looking for but didn't see it so I don't even feel okay with him going there.
Sometimes the HT cats are sent to a clinic where they can do the scintigraphy, and later they are sent to the I-131 therapy.
I'd rather have the cat treated at the same facility, because for both things the cat needs to be sedated. I wouldn't like to have a cat sedated twice on two following days.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Felix's liver is already bad. We know this because it came up in the blood work. Is there absolutely nothing else that I can do in the mean time?

I heard tapazole is bad for cats that already have issues with their liver and kidneys. Felix has had issues with both.

Anyone heard of this or tried it before? Organic Herbal Medicine for Hyperthyroidism in Cats

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only supports for the liver known for their effectiveness are the Milk Thistle and SAMe.

I don't know the herbal medicine that you mentioned.
I had tried other herbal medications for other issues in my cats, but they did not work at all.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
The only supports for the liver known for their effectiveness are the Milk Thistle and SAMe.

I don't know the herbal medicine that you mentioned.
I had tried other herbal medications for other issues in my cats, but they did not work at all.
Exactly what I thought. I'm very skeptical of herbal stuff for serious ailments. I guess I'll have to wait 6 months and pray for the best. The vet also said one of the clinics turned me down? The cancelled his referral for some reason. My baby really needs help.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can afford to move across the border and ask a clinic in US, I think it would be great.
Can you ask a friend of yours to help you with the driving?
Unfortunately, my parents would never agree to that. My mom already has her doubts about this treatment since we are a low-income household. I don't have many friends, hardly any at all and I'm not close with any so I couldn't ask for such a favour.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay so I called both OSPCA (greats folks) who sent to me to The College of Veterinarians of Ontario.

They've sent me a list of 7 vets in the area you're in who do internal medicine which is the type of vet that would do this treatment. There is no guarantee that any of them do the treatment that kitty needs but it's worth a shot.

The only other thing I can think is if you were willing to go as far as Hamilton? Maybe the The College of Veterinarians of Ontario would have more? If neither of these - maybe someone from those clinics will know someone - the vets in areas tend to know eachother and in this case - that could help.

Central Toronto Veterinary Referral Clinic
3 three doctors of the 3 on the list were from this clinic.

Central Toronto Veterinary Referral Clinic: Veterinary Referral Hospital
416-784-4444
Dr. Kevin Finora
Dr. Michael Robert Goldstein
Dr. Stephen Allan Kruth

The Toronto Veterinary Emergency Hospital
2 listed here of the 7

Toronto Veterinary Emergency Hospital | 24 Hour Pet Medical Center
416-247-8387
Dr. Katrina Alison Smith
Dr. Vladimir Stojanovic

Two were from VEC - so we know they're out.

I tried both of my Vets and they are unsure if anyone in this area, or yours, that does this. Guelph was the one both thought would be the best bet.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that the cost of the radio-iodine treatment matches the cost of a year or so of Methimazole and blood works. With the advantage of no side effects.
Felix will live longer and there will be no other ailments connected with the HT and the meds you're giving him now.
This is exactly what I told my mom but no one loves animals as much as I do. I would go above and beyond because I don't see it as a huge sacrifice but everyone else does.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're very welcome.

No it's not too to far from you. That's the other big city center that may have that treatment. The ones above are in TO though. I didn't even think to ask about Hamilton until after I hung up. DOH.

FYI I just talked to both in my area ER's. No one does it here and both have said they are 95% sure that Guelph does.

OVC Health Sciences Centre – Just another WebDVM 4 site