Radioactive Therapy For Hyperthyroidism

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Felix is suddenly eating the Hills y/d. Both dry and wet. I know cats don't understand us but I told him that he's very sick and this is just temporary until we can get to New Brunswick. I was thinking about going somewhere else but honestly, we are okay with money right now. Some things I wasn't expecting came through so we have more than enough. But maybe I should look into other clinics since NB can't do it this month... I'm going to ask my cousin where in Connecticut she is and see if the clinic is close by.

Last edited:

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good for you. You have an appt, so that is good. Now you are just checking on your options. That Thyro-Cat place also has a location in Stamford, CT. Hopefully one of these locations is close to your cousin. If your cousin is close to NYC, there are other places within NY that do it as well.
When I went thru this with Onyx, the closest place to me had a 3 month waiting list.....when I contacted Boston they told me they could have her treated in 3 weeks. So it's nice to look and to have choices.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
There is one clinic in Michigan that has an opening the week of December 17th but I don't know how I'd make it there in time. Everything is extra expensive since it's close to Christmas and I can't find any cheap hotels like in NB. So it would cost too much but they'd get it done quicker so... I don't know what to do.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I'm going to see if I can worm my way around this or through this because to have Felix cured before Christmas would be so amazing. Also have to take into consideration that the money there is different so it would cost more, not just the treatment but hotel and transportation.

Anywhere near Hamden, Connecticut would be perfect because that is where my cousin lives and she'd be happy to have us!

Last edited:

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once treated please remember she won't be 'cured' for a few months. It takes awhile for their body to even out from the thyroid tumor. Think of her recovery more like a roller coaster than a steady up down and you'll be ok.

if your cousin is close to one of those CT locations you'll save alot on hotel $$. Make sure you call airlines and check how a radioactive cat will travel....i'm sure with paperwork from the I-131 place you will be okay. (Make sure you get that paperwork!)

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Once treated please remember she won't be 'cured' for a few months. It takes awhile for their body to even out from the thyroid tumor. Think of her recovery more like a roller coaster than a steady up down and you'll be ok.

if your cousin is close to one of those CT locations you'll save alot on hotel $$. Make sure you call airlines and check how a radioactive cat will travel....i'm sure with paperwork from the I-131 place you will be okay. (Make sure you get that paperwork!)
I understand. But I mean, at least having it down before Christmas instead of waiting until January. I'm sure he'll be fine until then but I just don't like waiting on health things since I don't know what's going on internally.

Found a clinic super close to my cousin's house. Will contact them and see what they are saying. Contact Us | Central Hospital for Veterinary Medicine

They have a referral section but didn't specify if it's for patient or vet... filled it out anyway. :deal:

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I invest in one of these for Felix for when he gets out from the I-131? Has anyone used it before?

Mom is saying she might be able to find someone who can drive us into Michigan for Felix. Hoping whoever it is can drive us there since she can't do it herself. The other clinics are taking too long and I don't want to wait on this. The clinic in Michigan is the only one that gave us sure dates.

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I invest in one of these for Felix for when he gets out from the I-131?
Why should you put and keep him in a cage?
I think he would suffer more than necessary after he has already spent some time away from you.

Mom is saying she might be able to find someone who can drive us into Michigan for Felix. Hoping whoever it is can drive us there since she can't do it herself. The other clinics are taking too long and I don't want to wait on this. The clinic in Michigan is the only one that gave us sure dates.
I do hope everything is sorted before Christmas, that would be the best present you could give Felix!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are several theories on this.
Someone says it is better off not to interact too much with a cat who has recently received an I-131 treatment.
Others say it is rather safe because the amount of radioactivity a cat emits after the treatment is too low to pose a risk to humans.
Others say, I don't care, after all if the facility certified the cat was safe for transport, why should I be concerned?

I belong to the third category, and my cat was held at the facility only 4 days after the shot.
I think that living him in another room and playing with him a few minutes a day isn't dangerous. As long as the stuff he comes in contact with are metal or plastic it shouldn't be a problem. All other stuff might be safe in a few weeks, as the radioactivity falls to safe levels.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't seem like we're going to have this done until January. I called the clinic in Michigan and the receptionist wasn't very nice. :ohwell: She asked where I was calling from and I said, "Ontario". Then she sort of chuckled and asked, "You do know we're in Michigan, right?" Then she asked if anywhere closer to me could do it and I just didn't like her tone. I got up 5am this morning because I couldn't sleep. I was so excited to call and speak with someone to get help. Maybe I'm being inpatient but I'm getting very frustrated.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't seem like we're going to have this done until January. I called the clinic in Michigan and the receptionist wasn't very nice. :ohwell: She asked where I was calling from and I said, "Ontario". Then she sort of chuckled and asked, "You do know we're in Michigan, right?" Then she asked if anywhere closer to me could do it and I just didn't like her tone.
What kind of people are working at those front desks?
What else did she tell you, aside from laughing at you?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
She told me that the person in charge of it isn't even in today so I have to wait until tomorrow. :sniffle:

Conversation went like this...
Me: Hello, I'm calling about the radioactive iodine treatment your clinic has.

Her: Okay...

I emailed and was told there is availability December 17th. The week of... is that still a possibility.

*Long awkward pause*

Her: Doesn't look like it...

*Pause*

Me: Okay

Her: Where are you calling from?

Me: Ontario

Her: *Chuckle* You do know we're in Michigan right? Don't you have somewhere closer to you that could do it?

*Pause*

Me: "No"

Her: Well, the person in charge isn't going to be here until tomorrow so...

Me: Okay

*Silence*

Her: What's your name and phone number?

Me: *Gives it to her*

Her: Okay...

Me: Okay, thank you. Bye.

Her: Yeah. Bye.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her: *Chuckle* You do know we're in Michigan right? Don't you have somewhere closer to you that could do it?
What kind of answer is this?
Of course you know they're in Michigan, you also had to dial an international phone code!
I say, if I'm calling you is because I have nobody closer, right?

Do you think that people in Michigan feel superior to Canadians?

I live in Italy, over here we have NO facilities for I-131, but we do have lots of facilities all over Europe. I went to Belgium, I picked that clinic because they didn't need a referral.
Well, on the day I was there for the treatment, I met people from other parts of Europe, from countries where they do have radio-iodine facilities. Those people picked that clinic for the lower cost of the treatment.
I am sure that nobody at the reception asked them "why didn't go to a clinic in Germany?".

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of answer is this?
Of course you know they're in Michigan, you also had to dial an international phone code!
I say, if I'm calling you is because I have nobody closer, right?

Do you think that people in Michigan feel superior to Canadians?

I live in Italy, over here we have NO facilities for I-131, but we do have lots of facilities all over Europe. I went to Belgium, I picked that clinic because they didn't need a referral.
Well, on the day I was there for the treatment, I met people from other parts of Europe, from countries where they do have radio-iodine facilities. Those people picked that clinic for the lower cost of the treatment.
I am sure that nobody at the reception asked them "why didn't go to a clinic in Germany?".
Exactly! I'm scratching my head here. She made it seem like I'm silly for wanting to seek treatment that far yet they have treated cats in Ontario and other places not close by... I don't understand. She isn't even the one that is in charge of the appointments so how do I know what she is saying is true? I hope she leaves later in the day and I can speak to someone else. Based on this clinic's reviews, I was not expecting her attitude.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can call them later, hoping she has finished her shift, or call tomorrow, when the person in charge is in.
I understand your haste in this issue, I'd be same, but I think it is better if you call tomorrow.

It seems, from that conversation, that the availability for that week isn't sure. Am I right?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, in the case that your appointment is confirmed or that the availability is confirmed, they should let you know way beforehand, because you'll be requested to suspend any medication to Felix a few days before the treatment, usually a week before.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
From what she says, yes but she isn't the one in charge, another lady is. Cynthia is the one I spoke to through email. So she would know more. I'll just call tomorrow and ask to speak to her directly.

Felix's tapazole is also almost done anyway. He's on the y/d food completely now.

Last edited: