Radioactive Therapy For Hyperthyroidism

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
How long does it take too much T4 in the body to start doing damage on a cat's major organs? I found a clinic in London Ontario and contacted them but they might not do it if he isn't a candidate. For example, if he has significant damage to his liver or heart. But he seems fine to me. I've been monitoring him closely. They seem more thorough as well because they do a scintigraphy.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long does it take too much T4 in the body to start doing damage on a cat's major organs? I found a clinic in London Ontario and contacted them but they might not do it if he isn't a candidate. For example, if he has significant damage to his liver or heart. But he seems fine to me. I've been monitoring him closely. They seem more thorough as well because they do a scintigraphy.
My cat showed some slight kidney symptoms after a few months that we started the therapy.
She was officially diagnosed with HT in early September 2016, but in a hindsight she might have been sick at least since April, when she started eating less and less and being more lethargic.
She was put on methimazole right away in September 2016, the first slight symptoms on her kidneys appeared the following winter, but I couldn't tell if it was a damage from the HT or from the methimazole, which I was against. What we saw was that her Creatinine and BUN were a bit higher than her usual, still within the limits, but with a trend to the max levels.

When I took her to the I-131 clinic, they ran a few tests and found out she had a slightly high Creatinine and a slight heart murmur.
They were going to reject her for the treatment (after I had travelled over 600 miles!). They also ran an ultrasound scan in her chest and found some fluids too. It might have been the end of my dream...
They discussed among them, then they did the radio-iodine.

All of these symptoms were unknown to me, though I had her checked thoroughly once a month for the previous 10 months.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I really do believe everything happens for a reason and yesterday was proof of that for me. So, after the receptionist at the Michigan clinic made me upset, I pondered and tried to come up with a solution the entire day. I decided to look for more clinics in Ontario. I thought, "Maybe I missed something." And her words kept rattling in my brain. "*Chuckle* You do know we're in Michigan right? Don't you have somewhere closer to you that could do it?"

Low and behold, I found a clinic in London Ontario which I had not seen or heard of before on google while looking previously. I thought they might be on back order too but emailed them anyway. The referral lady replied immediately. To my surprise, they can do it. Not only can they do it but she said she might be able to squeeze him into the December 15th group if I can get all his test done today. Not only that, but they also do it a lot cheaper. $1,450. Cheapest clinic I've come across so far. THEY DO NOT CHARGE TAX EITHER! It's a flat $1,450.

Her and I are going to be working with Felix's vets today to get all the necessary test done and to their clinic as soon as possible. Had it not been for that salty woman in Michigan, I would not have found them. London Ontario is close to me (if you call 118km close), about a 2 hour drive. Less with no traffic. I know my sister can drive me there. Or my brother. So that means we save so much more money because no hotel, no car rental, etc.

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congrats....I hope you can get into the program for the 15th. They say to keep contact with your cat down to 20 minutes a day (once they come home). To wash your hands after playing with them. Minimal contact. I didn't care, Onyx was sleeping in my bed Night 1 when she came home. Your total radiation exposure with the cat is equivalent to what you get on a 6hr plane trip.
Obviously the litter is a Primary Concern. Think of the litter dust on your cats feet and where they walk after the litter box. For instance, my Onyx likes walking on the kitchen table, so I often washed that down before using (or any food prep/eating areas). Then when the litter restriction times were over I also disposed of those cleaning supplies.

No need to cage your baby. Keep us posted....

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
They asked that he stop taking tapazole and the hills y/d food. He's been moody and picky ever since. It's been 8 days since he's been off the pills and food. Hasn't eaten his usual amount of food and started vomiting today. Also getting aggressive again. Are these normal withdrawal symptoms?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was asked to stop the medication 5 days prior to the treatment. The treatment was scheduled on Monday, August 7th, I gave her the last eargel on the night of August 1st.
My cat was eating her usual food.

I didn't see any difference in her behaviour, even because my cat never had any classic symptom from HT, apart from a decreased appetite and her thyroid levels.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any need for the milk thistle then? Or any supplements at all for that matter? Since his blood work came back all good, I don't want to be giving him things he doesn't need. I ordered it and it's here just in case anyway. But if he doesn't need it, I'll take it myself.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any need for the milk thistle then? Or any supplements at all for that matter? Since his blood work came back all good, I don't want to be giving him things he doesn't need. I ordered it and it's here just in case anyway. But if he doesn't need it, I'll take it myself.
Don't stress him more than the necessary, especially now that he's going to exeprience a new and wonderful adventure.
If he's fine and doesn't need any supplement, then keep that milk thistle in the drawer until he needs it. And I hope he won't!