Preparing For Biscuit's Kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, what a sweet picture! :)

Yes, I always recommend spaying early - by 12 weeks. It’s so easy on the kittens and recovery is very quick at that age. Then no hormones come in and no one has to think about it again.

(I never use the cone, but it’s up to you.)

So glad Biscuit is doing well. I like your vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think early spaying will hopefully became more normal in the UK, as really make a lot of sense.
The vet didn't really push for the cone and I will likely take it off tomorrow morning, as not comfortable leaving her with it when I'm at work.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried taking the collar off Biscuit earlier (about 36 hours after being spayed) and she generally washed herself, but then tried several times to bite and pull at the stitches. I've put the collar back on (the vet said try using it for two days, but at least 24 hours). She just has two dissolvable stitches and the wound looks tiny and no redness. If I take collar off tomorrow and she keeps going at the stitches, is she likely to hurt herself or trigger infection?

Also her nose is very red and a bit sore looking, but apart from really not liking the collar she seems OK eat, drinking and using litter tray normally.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure - looking at it more closely it is not sore, but a darker pink than usual and a bit dry. Will keep close eye on it.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens are doing really well and are adorable.
DSC_0003.JPG

They are all being spayed / neutered / microchipped next week ( at ten weeks old)

Two of them will be setting off to their new homes at twelve weeks old and one at 15 weeks ( the other is to remain with me and mum Biscuit) . The two going at 12 weeks are going to be the only cats/ pets in their house. They are wonderful people and will be very good cat parents, but seeing how much the kittens play together, I'm anxious about them suddenly being on their own ( I hadn't really appreciated the bond between siblings, having always had single adult cats in the past, who have usually chosen to move out of multi - cat households). I can't really change situation, as new owners adore their kittens and have visited them. I just want to make it as smooth as possible for the kittens. They all really like human company now and have little bits of time alone with humans or just themselves and a favourite toy. Is there anything else I can do to make this easier for them? I will give new owners some of their current blankets and toys to go with them. And they have list of food and litter and other toys they like.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
10 weeks old today. Here are some tables and graphs, which may be of use to
others. Weight is in grams and red indicates where they started to try wet food. Minnie and Leo were born late evening 4th March and Rosie and Charlie in the early hours of 5th March. I weighed them in the afternoons.

Table1.PNG
Table2.PNG

AllKittensgraph.PNG

FemaleKittensgraphs.PNG
MaleKittensgraphs.PNG

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens were all spayed and neutered on Thursday (mum Biscuit was done two weeks ago), at 10 and half weeks old, between vaccinations, and to anyone reading this with kittens I really can't recommend it enough. They bounced back from it so so quickly - they came home from the vets that afternoon and the first thing they did was catch up on their play. No sign of any discomfort. They were all microchipped at the same time. Their new owners are very pleased and have contributed

First two kittens leave for homes on Friday at just under 12 weeks old. I will really miss them and be anxious for them, but think they have lovely futures ahead of them.

Biscuit the mum rediscovering her playfulness :)

_20180520_072601.JPG
_20180520_072532.JPG

Attachments

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a little update to say Minnie just went to her forever home with a close friends who will adore her and is now 15 weeks old. I does feel very hard seeing her go, but keeping her brother Leo and mum Biscuit (who plays like a kitten again, washes him and allows the odd suckle)
Just want to say thank you again for all the support and advice from people on the forum - you are so generous with your time and see so many threads where you make such a difference. At somepoint in the future I'll look to use this experience to help foster some rescued cats (need a bit more space first)
Minnie
IMG_20180610_172934_847.jpg

Leo
IMG_20180610_173104_097.jpg

Mum Biscuit
IMG_20180610_173226_280.jpg

Leo and mum
DSC_0053_9.JPG

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww, what sweet photos. I hope you'll be able to visit Minnie. Please continue to post pics of Leo & Biscuit here.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, Leo is four months old now and was doing well until yesterday. Hopefully not serious, but I'm taking him to vet later. Yesterday I came home from work to find some cat sick and Leo has had very little interest in food (his mum seems fine, so guessing vomit was his). He has eaten only a few mouthfuls of wet food, a few biscuits and a little diluted cat milk - all he normally loves and has never been off his food before.. And hasn't tried to suckle from mum, which he still does if she lets him. Neither mum or Leo go outside and have not eaten anything unusual as far as I'm aware. He is playful and bright - maybe very slightly quieter. Both cats had stronghold (revolution) treatment for worms, fleas and mites three weeks ago. He has used litter tray since yesterday and that was normal and has only been sick once.
He did eat 8 dreamies earlier and he wasn't really interested in them yesterday, so I hope he improves Just concerned as this happened so suddenly, as fine yesterday morning

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions from people here. Vet said she may try anti nausea injection.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes there is no real explanation other than an upset tummy that usually passes in 24-36 hours. Let’s hope that’s all this is!

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sarthur2 Sarthur2 - I think that may be the case.Came home to take him to vets and he tried to suckled with enthusiasm from his mum (really not sure if he gets anything much, but good to see interest), and he ate some wet food and drank some cat milk. So his appetite is improving , although not normal. Spoke to vets office and going to wait to see how is is tomorrow and call them with an update.