Preparing For Biscuit's Kittens

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

My cat is due to give birth next week (she wasn't my cat when she got knocked-up, but for various reasons she is now mine - or rather I'm hers). We have been to the vet and I read lots on here so think I'm largely prepared.

On the advice of the vet I've now stopped her access to outdoors for the last part of her pregnancy. She mostly isn't interested in going out anyway, except she isn't used to a litter tray. She is using it, but as a last resort after yowling and yowling to go out. I'm being consistent and not giving in, but hard to see her yowling . I have two trays one with paper based litter and one with wood pellets and a cover, she uses the later with a disdainful meow and shake of her paws. One is upstairs and the other downstairs, away from her food and in quiet places. I chose those unscented, non clumping litters, as saw these recommended for kittens. Is there anything I can do to make her happier using a litter tray?
The second thing I would like some advice on is saw a flea on her and on the advice of her vet have bought Advantage, but have seen on this forum there is Advantage II. The Advantage product insert says limited studies of Queens and offspring, but no evidence of adverse effects. Wondering if I should call the vet back to see if she meant Advantage II.

Thanks in advance for any advice and I sure I'll be back with some more questions as the big day gets closer.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! I’m glad you are able to keep her inside. Here’s a article that gives some helpful tips about bringing a primarily outdoor cat in: The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

I’d recommend trying cat attract litter. Several posters here have had good luck with it.

Here’s an old thread that gives some great advice about flea treating pregnant cats: Fleas on pregnant cat

I hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I’m glad you are able to keep her inside. Here’s a article that gives some helpful tips about bringing a primarily outdoor cat in: The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

I’d recommend trying cat attract litter. Several posters here have had good luck with it.

Here’s an old thread that gives some great advice about flea treating pregnant cats: Fleas on pregnant cat

I hope this helps!
Thank you - Yes that's really helpful and this site is brilliant - I have been reading loads of threads and so lovely to see pictures of kittens growing up, after various issues.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Sakitty, My vet said about 60 days onwards, from 'google research ' I think 63 - 67 days likely. She is particularly tired this evening (I'm in the UK) and just wanting a short game with string when I arrived home and she is normally much more playful ( I think some play is ok if she wants it at this stage? ). Her appetite may be a little less, but she ate quite a lot of biscuits whilst I was out today. She is clearly getting a bit more uncomfortable. She loves going in cupboards and drawers since I've had her and had not shown a huge amount of interest in the nests I made for her, so hard to tell if nesting. A little more affectionate the last couple of days. I'm excited and anxious for her - I don't think I'll feel fully relaxed until kittens safely grown up and everyone spayed.

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think playing with her is totally fine at this stage, especially if she wants to play! Maybe no acrobatics though haha.

I agree, I worry so much about little wee kittens. Their so small and fragile.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2:

I've never had a cat give birth to kittens, so I love following the threads in this forum. Be prepared to post lots of pictures, once the kittens are born. :camera: We love pictures! In fact, we'd love to see a pic of the expectant mama. :)

It's been a few days since you first posted. Is Biscuit using the litter box ok now?

Here's a few articles on pregnant cats you might want to read in preparation for the big day. :catlove:
Cat Pregnancy
Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth
Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Rubysmama,
Thank you for the message will definitely post pictures. Was watching very actively moving in her.

She still yowls quite a lot when she needs the toilet - it feels like she is still rather grossed out by going indoors! But she is going regularly . I find if I go in the room and sit quietly facing the other way from the litter tray she goes more quickly! Then is very relaxed after, with little or no interest in going outside. So we are both getting used to indoor cat life and it definitely feels right thing at the moment with birth coming up and at least until she is spayed. My previous experience of cats has been mainly been my parent's indoor/outdoor cats and have never done the litter tray thing.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That picture was a couple of weeks ago.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwww.... she's really pretty. And it sounds like she's settling in. So just waiting now. :)

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ashade1 ashade1 thank you - I have read some of you posts . What an amazing job you do caring for cats.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww what a she is a pretty fluffy girl

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still waiting for Biscuit's kittens. Her appetite increased again and apart from sleeping alot no clear signs.
As I understand it she didn't have access to outside from the morning of Saturday 30 December , so that makes today day 63. The waiting continues. ....

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Biscuit is in her nest box purring a lot and has been fidgety all day. Think she is having contractions and few minutes or so....