Preparing For Biscuit's Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to the vet with her and she said it is an infection of the eye. She put a dye in her eye and saw no ulceration and has given me fusidic acid drops (a topical antibiotic). She did mention the possibility of herpes - I really hope it is not that and the antibiotics clear it up (if bacterial). She seems well in herself and as soon as we got home she just wanted to play .

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Six weeks old today! Still none of them have tried food. Maybe I should try other brands .
Minnie (the tortoiseshell) does often cover her mum's food bowl with a blanket :). Her legs are improving . I placed her on a smooth floor earlier and she walked well. I haven't been splinting her as much, as she really doesn't like it and the running around / playing appears to be doing the job. My vet has a sports physiotherapist visit her practice once a month, so Minnie is booked in for a partial appointment - so hopefully help get her alignment fully corrected and a bit more advice.

Rosie's (Ginger more stripes) eye is looking better - photo below.

Rosie
_20180415_213958.JPG

Charlie
DSC_1053.JPG

Minnie
_20180415_171301.JPG

Leo who is likely to stay with Biscuit and I
DSC_1072.JPG
DSC_1071.JPG

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Felix 'tastes as good as it looks' kitten food, for kittens once month or older- tuna, beef, chicken or salmon flavours, plus and minus some cat milk. Also milk alone. And I have tried purina kitten biscuits soaked in cat milk, but Biscuit eats that before they get a chance to look at it. I regularly offer a bit of food on my finger (but don't push it on them).

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Leo, with the toothy yawn above, tried food today! He started by licking some beef milkshake off my finger and then just ate quite a bit out of the bowl. Such a sudden realisation that it tastes good! No one else has tried it yet.

I have them in a bedroom upstairs , with the door open and a barrier that was about 18 inches high and slippery surface facing into the room. And chair just outside that Biscuit uses to leap in and out. A kitten just managed to jump the barrier, so I've increased it to about 2 foot, but I'm sure they'll get over this soon. Then they have access to the stairs, which are carpeted and quite gentle. I have blocked the top area of bannisters with cardboard. And the lower part, 5 foot drop or less has a folded over soft duvet below (the floor is wood). Is it likely they will jump off stairs in the gaps between the banisters? I don't really want to shut Biscuit in with them all day when I'm at work.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They will use the stairs. But is your downstairs kitten proofed? You’d be amazed at what kittens can get into that you would never think of!

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I close the door to kitchen / living room when out and the rest is hopefully kitten proof - but I can see their curiosity and determination increasing! I'm letting them explore new areas of the house when can watch them closely.

Still only one has eaten food for the last couple of days. I haven't seen noticeable kitten poo in their litter boxes (It is wood pellets so potentially difficult to see). They all wee though in the litter and mum is stil looks like she is dealing with waste. Should I be concerned about the one who has tried food not pooping? I put him in the litter tray after he eats.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These are pictures of the behind of Minnie, the tortoiseshell, and when the vet looked she was unsure of the sex. I know it is extremely rare to get male tortoiseshell, but is sometimes possible. Please let me know what you think - and if these pictures aren't good enough I'll try and get better ones.

DSC_1464.JPG
DSC_1462.JPG
DSC_1454.JPG
DSC_1445.JPG
DSC_1467.JPG

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seven weeks old tomorrow - time is flying now!

They have now all eaten wet kitten food . Leo at six weeks and the rest at six and a half weeks. They like the felix kitten food with a small splash of whiskers cat milk.

There have been a couple of poos in the litter trays and mostly look normal. Charlie (black and white) first poo was normal consistency, but slightly orange.

Biscuit poo is generally soft to cowpat like, ( and smelly) since she started feeding them and takimg their waste. My vet said (some time ago) it's normal to have soft poo when nursing/eating their waste and hormones can also cause this. I was hoping to see Biscuits tummy improve quite quickly now she is not dealing with the waste - but it is the same as before. She is very vocal at the moment and another cat hanging around outside - so potentially she is in heat (don't worry I'm not letting her out and will call vet on Monday to arrange spay in a week or so, now kittens are weaning).
Biscuit and kittens have all had 3 doses of panacur wormer paste at 2 weeks and 5 weeks, on the vets advice. Should I be concerned about Biscuits tummy -are there other infections that should be considered ?

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@sarthur soft or cowpat like smell poo. My vet wasn't concerned when I spoke to her about it when kittens were about a week. If it doesn't improve in a few days now they are weaning, I'll mention it again to the vet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has she had a round of metronidazole yet? That will usually cure it. It’s often caused by parasites. That or perhaps something in her diet. No need to wean early though.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She hasn't had metronidazole, but I spoke to the vet and she wasn't particularly concerned. I tried some new food with her (royal canin mother and babycat mousse) and she and the kittens get 1 third that and 2 thirds felix kitten (tastes as good as it looks) with a splash of whiskers cat milk. Biscuit's poo has greatly improved - not sure if it is the new food or that she is no longer eating the kittens waste. She seems better in herself too. Kittens poo which was sometimes orange all looks normal brown, again not sure why that was.

Minnie who had swimmers legs looks completely normal now, running and leaping like the others. Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I can't thank you enough for your reassurance that night she was born - I thought she was deformed and that maybe a hard decision was needed. I will try an post and link with some before and after treatment videos.

Biscuit will be spayed on Thursday - hopefully she will still be able to feed the kittens occasionally, as she is doing now. And kittens will have first their vaccinations.

Kittens at eight weeks
IMG_20180429_104625_727.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so glad that Buscuit is doing better!

Ask for 3 days of pain meds for Biscuit following her spay.

She will still be able to nurse.

Also happy that Minnie is normal now too! I knew she would be, and you did all the right things for her!

The kittens are adorable! :)

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Biscuit has been spayed today and is home. A little groggy but purring and eating well. Vet has given her a long term painkiller and vet said to keep collar on for a least a day. Kittens were very sweet and seem more gentle with her at the moment, and give her little 'kisses'.

Kittens have had first vaccinations and vet has suggested getting them all spayed early (at 10 weeks between 1st and 2nd vaccinations). This is not so common in the UK, but this vet does it for local rescue place and said how well and fast young kittens recover from it. So I'm going to check with future owners, but think it is great idea (I think Sarthur2 Sarthur2 you suggested it before and I've really come round to the idea). They can all be microchipped at the same time and registered to new homes. And also good for new families, so they can focus on settling and enjoying kittens without having to do that.
DSC_1496.JPG