Preparing For Biscuit's Kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes! A little mini-me! How sweet!

It looks and sounds like the kitten’s legs will ultimately be fine! So glad it’s working. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you they are a lovely little cat family.

I'm still worrying about everything! I have moved them to a bedroom as much more kitten proof and spacious. Biscuit seems fine about this and settled them into their nest up there and they have been exploring the room. Mini-B did make a big cough / retching sound once briefly - maybe licked a bit of dust or dirt. Seems fine since - but it did sound alarming at the time.

Is now, 4 weeks old, ok to offer some Kmr and/or water. They have yet to have access to Biscuit's food bowls. Was planning on offering Kmr first and then mixture of Kmr/canned kitten food. Or should I just feed Biscuit where they have access and leave it up to her?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They're 4 weeks old already! Time is flying!

The TCS article Weaning: How To Get Your Kittens To Eat On Their Own that should answer some of your questions.

Once you start offering food, you'll need to provide a small, low sided litter box, so they can start learning how to use it. Each time after they eat, you put them in the litter box, and dig with their tiny paws.

Make sure you use NON CLUMPING litter, as kittens may try eating litter.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ginger-more-stripes (they will get better names soon) has slowed considerably in gaining weight, compared to her sibling (generally 15-20g a day). For the last three days she has been +7, +5g and in last 24 hours just a gram. She is full of energy, playing and zoomies with her siblings. I have seen Mini-B pushing her off her nipple and then she falls asleep, but have seen her eating regularly if only for small amounts of time. I managed to give her some one on one time with her mum just now. Should I do any more or be concerned ?
They have been watching mum eat canned kitten food and licking Kmr off a plate with interest, but none have tried it yet, but I think they are getting closer.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may be on a plateau, then will have a growth spurt again. It happens. Just keep an eye on her.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 - thank you. They have all had a day or two of slow or little growth this week, but have then put on weight again.

Five weeks old today. No one has yet showed much sign of wanting to wean. They occasionally watch mum eat, and I make her Kmr/kitten food shake. I've offered them a little food on a finger, but they sniff quickly and move away.
The ginger girl was the first to use a litter tray today for a pee - so progress on that front.

Tortoiseshell, with swimmers legs, has made great progress. She runs and climbs on me. She is being splinted twice a day for about 30 minute- but is less tolerant of it. She try to chew tape so I distract her with play. Her legs still go out to the sides, so will keep going and will get further advice from vet on what else to do to get her totally corrected. I massage her legs regularly - which is easier as she likes sitting on my lap now.

_20180407_115102.JPG
_20180407_115043.JPG
_20180407_114953.JPG
DSC_1014.JPG

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, how cute are those kittens! I love seeing pics of orange ones, as it helps me to imagine what my Ruby may have looked like as a kitten. :lovecat2:

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you ashade1 ashade1 . They are doing well and delightful to watch playing - I do find it difficult to leave them and go to work! Currently they having their second round of panacur wormer and mum having it at the same time . None of them have tried food yet, but their interest is growing. Biscuit is eating and eating , but appears well and may have even put on a little weight (don't worry she has definitely not been outside or anywhere near a male!).

The black and white met his forever family (work colleagues who will be great cat parents) and they adore him and may take a second kitten. They have named him Charlie
DSC_1036.JPG
DSC_1046.JPG

Another colleague is interested in a kitten, but they at times will be travelling (ie 3 weeks in the summer in one other location) They are considering whether she can travel with them. The family are really good cat people (have fostered older kittens in need before), so I'd really like to work something out. So far the plan is for them to see how she tolerates a short trip (naturally once she has settled in with them for some time - after she moves in at 12 weeks old). If it doesn't work, with her travelling, they said the will adapt to her needs. I'd be keen to hear views from experienced cat people here (maybe better to set up a new thread on a different part of the forum ).

I'm considering keeping the fourth kitten :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apologies if you’ve covered this, but are you able to get the kittens spayed and neutered before they go to their new homes?

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
talkingpeanut talkingpeanut - you are very right, I totally agree that is essential to make sure these cats are fixed. In this case the people taking them will do it, but I have made it clear that is my absolute condition they do. These are work colleagues I've know a long time, so am very confident that they will ( and they are proactive sort of people ). If I have any doubt then I will do it. I very strongly believe it is the right thing to do - cheaper in the long run than having kittens, reduced risk of roaming across roads and better for their health, and much more! I can't go into reasons Biscuit ended up having kittens, as it is the private life of my neighbours. However, it was an absolutely exceptional set of circumstances in her former owners lives, and they let me take her on. I would not choose to do it ever again and will always adopt rescue cats in the future.
And I just have to say I do really like the way this site is pro spaying and neutering, - but will always offer advice no matter the circumstances.

One thing I do need to do is post some pictures of the tortoiseshell's behind, as my very experienced vet still wasn't sure of the sex! As a biologist, with quite a lot of genetics experience , I rather like the idea of the kitten being XXY or some unusual genetics (as long as they are healthy) - as I understand the only way to have a male tortoiseshell.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The ginger girl has a slight issue with her right eye. She gets quite a bit of dark coloured sleep and the rims look a little more pink than the other eye. When sleepy it look slightly more closed, but otherwise she is appears not to be irritated by it. There is no green/yellow discharge - so does not appear to be bacterial infection. I spoke to my vet about it yesterday and she said ok to gently wipe with some saline and to keep a close watch on it. Maybe a paw in the eye. It hasn't really change over last couple of days (and looking at the last individual kitten picture above , you can see some of the sleep and the slight pink- ness of the rim (it is only a little worse now). I'm wondering whether I should wait a couple more days, or get her checked out be the vet.