pregnant cat temperature dropped ?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want the pleasure of kittens - and it is a pleasure to watch them grow up - consider fostering a cat with kittens.  The rescue would pay for food, litter and vet bills as well, plus find them homes.  I had some wonderful times fostering back in the 90s - I also had some bad times hence I stopped, but the bad times were because it was a badly run rescue which I didn't realise at first.  Fostered again last year for a friend, that went swimmingly.

Think the OP (lilkim) lives in the UK, and the RSPCA / SPCA, Cats Protection, Blue Cross, all the local rescues and any I've missed will be crying out for foster homes as kitten season will be well under way. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilkim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeh she did have an infection a few weeks ago and she was still pregnant then , then she had antibiotics but they gave her an injection to get to her quicker or something like that and i know loads of kitten need homes and people abandon them and stuff but like i told the vet i still want her to have one litter because i want to keep one for me as well i would have home for them and theres no cat shelter near me so they cant possiabley get one from there

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I'm right that you live in the UK I find it hard to imagine a place which doesn't have a rescue within 20 miles or so.

claraadele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm with Oriental and Panda as well.

I've had so many foster mommas with kittens that came to me because they were lucky. These cats go into shelters and are given a week before being euthanized (some not even that, I had one pregnant momma that was put directly on the chopping block- the rescue actually burst in and pulled her off the table. Gorgeous, incredibly sweet snowshoe.)

Trust me, look around. There are rescues or shelters that need someone who will take a momma or a momma with babies or just babies. I can't tell you how many loving sweet kittens get euthanized everyday because there is no home for them. If your cat has six kittens, that is 5 more kittens in a shelter that will be euthanized because their homes were taken.

Also for the health of your cat- going through heat is extremely uncomfortable. If a cat goes through heat and does not get pregnant or try (especially if it happens several times), it can be seriously dangerous to her health. And she's already lost one litter, a second could cause problems as well (possibly much worse problems).

Please spay her.

lilkim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
nope its further than that i live in a small town far away from the big citys its just farms for miles plus i dont drive

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sort of begs the question of what you will do if you let her get pregnant and she needs the vet in the middle of the night, since you don't drive...

And humour me - what part of the UK other than the Highlands is that remote? 

lilkim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yorkshire am in a little valley

lilkim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
and tbh i dont have to answer myself to any of you end of the day its my cat if i want to let her have kittens i will its me who pays for the vets if theres complications and its my family that are having the kittens that my cat will have , even people who get animals from a shelter still harm or leave them to die when there fed up , so all am saying is it my cat my choice 

reekajane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lilkim- Ignore them. Go for it. Dangerous to a cats health to have kittens...really. That's just propaganda to keep people from breeding. Your cat will die if you breed it, so if you love your cat don't breed it- sarcasm....

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dangerous to a cats health to have kittens...really.
It actually can be deadly, especially when things have already gone wrong with prior pregnancies. Also you are not testing any of the cats involved I assume? Even the basic tests of FIV, FelV, HCM?

reekajane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have dealt with it with 6 cats. How many have you dealt with?

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Missymotus has been a breeder of Ocicats for years, so I would imagine quite a few.

Bottom line: No moggie in your care should be allowed to breed. Period.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Obviously a BIG difference in opinions here, lilkim don't be offended.

First off all of us who are active in rescue know all too well how many cats and kittens with no place in this world there are.

We save as many as we possibly can, in full blown kitten season my fosters are so overwhelmed, all maxed out to save these endless litters born, trying so hard to figure out just one more space, one more cage, anywhere we can put them will do.

How can we say no to the shelter, no we have no more room available, stop calling us??!

The shelter I deal with and pull countless cats and kittens from kills up to 65 a day...................65. Each and every single day.

You wanting your cat to have kittens, we think of this. So much death, tiny newborns, adorable, healthy, it doesn't matter.

All it takes is 1 visit to the "cat barn" at the shelter, where all of the cats and kittens are waiting until it's time to be killed. It is the most heartwreching disturbing sight I will ever, ever know. I am haunted and scarred with the memory for the rest of my life. My husband as well, as the last time I went to save a cat from being killed, he wandered into the "cat barn" and will never, ever forget. The eyes so sad, so scared..

That's all I will say about it.

No need to be offended, you obviously have not experienced rescue or what really goes on behind the doors to the shelters.

As for a cat's health, having kittens is usually fine and things work out fine. It's not 100% though.

I have had MANY, MANY litters born here at my house, from rescuing cats who were too far along in their pregnancy to feel comfortable about aborting. THEY DO NOT ALL TURN OUT FINE. Many do, but not all, believe it.

Some get stuck and die, some are born dead, some are deformed/underdeveloped, some come out with cerebellar hypoplasia, etc. etc.

Some mommas will not care for or nurse, some mommas can't stop bleeding.

Sometimes things happen that are not planned.

In my opinion, it will be quite risky to allow your cat who just went through this ordeal to get pregnant again. There is a reason for this happening with her babies. Do you think that's normal? It is not. It doesn't just happen for no good reason.

Oh yes! Let's not forget about when they mate and the male holds the female down with a big bite in their neck, which is a huge risk of her getting FIV. Huge chance. That is the number one way of contracting FIV. Cat bite. Unneutered male cats fight and bite, cats mate and he bites.

Anyway, do what you want, I doubt you will change your mind, or even care about what we are saying, but it's the truth.

Good luck, I hope your girl is fine.

lilkim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well is been 2 weeks since ive been on here and i took smudge to the vet for check up to make sure everything was fine after her losing the babies and to get her de flead and wormed turns out she is pregnant o ready and she is about 5 weeks nearly so when i took her vets last time she was pregnant but cudnt tell also a few weeks ago when i thought something was wrong and i sd she was acting in heat turns out she was in heat anyhow she is a hell of alot bigger this time i thought she was just getting fat so not going to be posting alot of stuff just though i wud let u all know when they arrive i shall post on here she got another appiontment at the end of may is she hasnt had them by then 

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow... I just read all the way through this thread and got to say it was so difficult to read and such a sad ending to her last pregnancy.  I hope all is well, please let us know when she delivers! 

lilkim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi yeh it was difficult i was really excited but who actually know what happened maybe she wasnt pregnant and the vet got it wrong plus i had my doubts that she werent preggz as well as she wasnt getting really big but this time its very different she is alot bigger and her nipples can now be seen i can only see 4 of them though you cant see this rest she is a fluffy cat so does that mean she having 4 kittens ? i suppose i shall find out soon 

midfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i am the same due a litter ant time now she only has nipples showing hope is ok cant wait for min or urs to born x

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
i am the same due a litter ant time now she only has nipples showing hope is ok cant wait for min or urs to born x
This is an old tread, essentially ended now.

Please start your own tread, and tell more about your mom to come.

(or you do already have own tread?)

I could easily ask a mod to move this your post into an own tread, but better you do start it nice and proper.  

Good luck!