Planning My Wedding - Lari is married!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a tour with the venue I'm interested in on Saturday! Cross your fingers I like it in person and it works out for me. They have an on site coordinator and provide food and drinks without having to bring in an outside caterer, so that would be really nice.
Oh, I'll do better than cross my fingers! You now have a candle lit that this will be just right, or that "just right" is coming up very soon!

00LitCandle.jpeg

The stress of planning a multi-cultural, international wedding for English people that didn't speak any Japanese and Japanese people who didn't speak any English was too daunting for me.
SPUTTERSNORT...That's why I got married on a beach with four people in attendance. Although, in my case it was "North Alabama" and "South Georgia." For those of you in the Southern USA, you know that those two cultures (and languages!) are almost as foreign as English and Japanese!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know how you feel about "vintage" styles, but you might want to check out some vintage shops and see what they have. I've seen some truly gorgeous wedding gowns that were not really all that expensive in shops. I don't know what your style is, but it's an option, if you're trying to save a few dollars.

Since I was 16 when I got married, there was no real wedding, just Rick, me and our families in the church. That was it. I've never even tried on a wedding dress. Never had an engagement ring. Nothing like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved the venue! We haven't made an official commitment, but they have our date held. It was a bit more expensive than I had thought, but still very reasonable I think for all that we're getting. I was ready to book today, but my fiancé wanted us to go over everything first. I felt better leaving knowing we had a hold, and I think we'll likely end up taking it.

Winchester Winchester - my parents have agreed to pay for the dress as their contribution, so while I can't go overboard, I don't have to go super budget either.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I loved the venue! We haven't made an official commitment, but they have our date held. It was a bit more expensive than I had thought, but still very reasonable I think for all that we're getting.
That's great:) What kind of venue is it?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 - it's a cute little hotel (I didn't want a banquet hall). I guess I can put in a few pictures.

Main hall
20181222_130311_Burst01.jpg

For cocktails
20181222_130852_HDR.jpg

Look at this bar!
20181222_130911.jpg

We'd get these for the night, too:
20181222_130927.jpg
20181222_130948.jpg

I've always loved historic things, so it feels just right.

(If anyone on this thread is from the Chicago area and you recognize the venue, can you do me a favor and not say exactly what/where it is on the thread? Thanks in advance!)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pretty :) A friend of mine got married in a swanky downtown hotel. The reception was held there but, following Asian tradition, the banquet 12 course dinner was held at an Asian restaurant.

I don't care for banquet halls either. A cousin of mine got married at a VFW hall and it just didn't have that "wedding" feel. The reception and dinner was largely meh.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today, we completed the step of having lunch with my parents and his so they could officially meet (something I wanted to happen before showers or rehearsal dinners) and that went really well! I left a message with my priest at my church so hopefully will hear back tomorrow so I can get that settled. I'll probably officially book the reception venue tomorrow as well. It feels like things are starting to come together a bit, and that's a good feeling.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I got married two years ago. Thankfully, it was a small wedding so planning was pretty stress-free. By small I mean we had seven guests and stuck to s strict budget. I wore a black bustle skirt with a corset and a witch-hat fascinator. (It was 5 November. The witch hat is because I practice witchcraft and could not imagine a more perfect headpiece.) I also carried a decorated besom. My husband wore a black kilt and a maroon waistcoat. I picked out books for each of our guests for favors. (Each book was suited to the guest, so no one had the same book.) They each also got to take home one of the many crystals we had in the decor. Our photographer and officiant were thrilled that they got to pick out a crystal, too.

Our favorite food is Chinese, which led us to have a dim sum dinner party reception. I thought people would get bored, but they seemed to love it. My sister and her eldest daughter were two of our guests and they recently mentioned again how wonderful our wedding was. My niece said that if she ever marries she wants a wedding like mine.

I was trying to lose about 10 lbs for my wedding, but it was around that time that I was diagnosed with lipoedemia after a sudden, unexpected weight gain. The weight gain was significant. I had to get a new dress and was incredibly depressed about it all; however, I had to just accept it and not let it ruin our wonderful day.

I do not say that to get you worried about suddenly gaining weight! I highly doubt that will happen to you! I have no idea what you look like, but losing weight for a wedding becomes stressful for most women, even if they are already super thin. Do not let whether or not you lose those 10/20 lbs impact a second of your happiness! (And do not get a dress with the expectation of losing enough weight to fit into it later.)

Green is the best color! Seafoam is lovely, but it does not seem right for a November wedding. Hmm. Sage, gold, and white? Emerald, navy, and white? Fern green, deep azure, gold, and white? Jade, poppy, grey/gold, and white? If you used the green as a secondary color, a teal/peacock blue, lime, and white would be pretty.

One of my brother-in-laws is getting married next September. Soon I will be helping his fiancee do some DIYs! For my wedding, I made more than a thousand rolled paper flowers.

This is our venue. It used to be a chicken coop, if you can believe it! The owners converted it and added salvaged bits from old buildings, including a mental hospital.

This is some of our decor. I had forgotten the steam iron, so the table covers were wrinkled. Oh, well!

And, this is us. This was taken in one of the other, much larger, buildings on the property. Everything about the venue was beautiful and very "us."

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! And this is of the grounds. Anyone getting married near Peninsula, Ohio, The Stone Cottage and all of the other buildings at the Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park of Hines Hill are enchantingly beautiful and well-priced with an amazing staff!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elphaba09 Elphaba09 - your venue looks amazing, and you looked beautiful!

Our colors might not end up being perfect for November, but I'm okay with that. Green is my favorite color, so I'm insisting on it. I'd prefer more of an emerald, but my fiancé doesn't want it too dark or it will look like Michigan State (he's a U of M alum). And part of marriage is compromising!

I would probably look fine if I don't lose the weight, but it's still the ultimate goal. I won't buy a too small dress. They can alter if need be.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay! I officially have my reception venue booked for November 9th and my bridal party all asked and sorted. Now I just need to hear back from my church. It'll feel so good when that major part is done and I can start doing fun things like looking at dresses.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Okay! I officially have my reception venue booked for November 9th and my bridal party all asked and sorted. Now I just need to hear back from my church. It'll feel so good when that major part is done and I can start doing fun things like looking at dresses.

That's great! :clap: You are moving right along. :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do not let whether or not you lose those 10/20 lbs impact a second of your happiness! (And do not get a dress with the expectation of losing enough weight to fit into it later.)
Best advice, ever.

OH...and your wedding? Loved every bit of it, and even if I hadn't, you'd have had me at "dim sum."

And of course, you WILL be posting pics of your candidates for "THE DRESS," no?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And of course, you WILL be posting pics of your candidates for "THE DRESS," no?
I'll post some pics of dresses I like, sure! But everything could change when I walk into a store and see what they look like on me.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, of course. And when you put on The Dress, your breath will catch and your eyes will fill. And you will just KNOW. Right then and there.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's my Birthday!!!!
Sounds like I picked a good day, then.

Well, of course. And when you put on The Dress, your breath will catch and your eyes will fill. And you will just KNOW. Right then and there.
I think that's how my sister was with the first one she tried on.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many decades ago, I made the rounds of all of the bridal shops with limited success. I got as far as, "that's not so bad." Finally, I saw a store that was having as sale on post-season prom dresses. This was back in the day when prom dresses were truly "formal," long, full formals. I spotted an ecru muslin dress with a wide lace off-shoulder neckline, and said, "Might as well." When I put it on, it took my breath away. Perfect for me, just perfect. I wore it with a wreath of daisies and babies' breath in my hair. Wouldn't suit everyone, but it taught me that sometimes it pays to think outside the box, which was the whole point to this story. Don't rule out vintage stores, consignment shops, etc. You never know what you might be passing up. Or, you may be brought to tears with the first dress you try on. You just never know.