Pepper’s Mama!

Neekyboo

Pepper’s Mama
Kitten
Purraise
Hi y’all! I am Neekyboo, from GA. I just adopted an outdoor cat named Pepper. She lives on my patio but is outside 100% of the time. We have cat allergies so she can’t come inside. Breaks my heart bc I love her so much! She is two years old and has been an indoor cat all her life. My next door neighbors put her out about a month ago or so. I have been taking care of her for a week now. She was hanging by their apt door, meowing and crying. She didn’t understand why she can’t go home and was starving. I got donated food from a cat shelter and I bought her a collar and name tag w my cell number on it. I turned an old Walmart bin (those big plastic storage bins) into a cat shelter and put her favorite pillow in it. Well, she actually STOLE my cushion from my porch rocker and I gave up lol. I’m planning on getting her spayed and shots at the Humane Society this month. I’m very worried about her being outside but I can’t bring her in. I live in an apt that charges for pets, can’t afford that fee. Can you guys suggest how to care for her? I’ve never had a cat before. Thanks.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-735128.jpg
Neekyboo and Pepper, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
Welcome - White kitty.jpg
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you or taking care of Pepper and giving her your companionship and love:clapcat:

Since she's getting use to you and living on your patio and with your homemade shelter. Guess at the moment you can try to make her as comfortable as you can. It's so sad that her owner abandoned her and she has got no where to go but live at your patio. She has to to get used to living outside and we hope that one day or soon you can bring her indoor.

If you have any further questions about caring for her and making a better outdoor shelter for her especially in the cold months, you may post your questions here in :- caring-for-strays-and-ferals.9 where many members have the experience of taking care of outdoor cats and they may be able to help you.

Do post photo of Pepper for us to see :camera:

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

Thanks so much for taking on the care of Pepper. :hearthrob:
She sounds like a total sweetie. :catlove:

Maybe in time you can consider letting her come inside, because it is possible for people with cat allergies to become immune to their own cats. Just something to think about, and maybe read up on.

Here's one link. Google will find many more.
Can Someone Who Is Allergic To Cats Develop An Immunity? - CatTime

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: Bless you for rescuing Pepper whose previous owners abandoned her and for trying to make her as comfortable as possible.

Maybe in time you can consider letting her come inside, because it is possible for people with cat allergies to become immune to their own cats. Just something to think about, and maybe read up on.
If the time comes that you become more attached to her and would like to try bringing her into your apartment there are many members here, including myself, who have allergies and would be delighted to offer their advice and support. In the meantime, thank you for planning to spay her and get the appropriate shots. Best of luck with your new furry friend. :heartshape:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Thank you for caring for that cat. Thank you. Thank you.

Can't you build or make even a small catio for her? At least she is safer that way.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and to Pepper! How precious of you to take on a cat when you have cat allergies! I'm sure you'll get lots of useful advice here, and that things will get easier for you! Meanwhile, you've gone a long way to making her a home. I don't want to get into too much on this thread, but for next winter, you can line that tote with Styrofoam and keep it nice and warm. With any luck, someone here will give you the right information to allow you to bring her in! Wouldn't that be lovely?

We'd love to see a picture of her, if that is possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neekyboo

Pepper’s Mama
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

Thanks so much for taking on the care of Pepper. :hearthrob:
She sounds like a total sweetie. :catlove:

Here's one link. Google will find many more.
Can Someone Who Is Allergic To Cats Develop An Immunity? - CatTime
I want to bring her in so badly. My son sits in front of the patio screen door and watches cartoons with Pepper but he sneezes and has red runny eyes within minutes. Pepper doesn't actually watch but stares quizzically at his phone and ***** an ear towards the noise lol.

Neekyboo

Pepper’s Mama
Kitten
Purraise
I finally got her flea collar on. Waiting for her spay voucher so she can get shots and spayed. Highlight of my day: watching Pepper hilariously "hunt down" a poor unsuspecting moth flitting around my patio lights. Poor bug didnt stand a chance against my fierce lion-kitty .

Neekyboo

Pepper’s Mama
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Thank you for caring for that cat. Thank you. Thank you.

Can't you build or make even a small catio for her? At least she is safer that way.
She has her own cathouse, complete with straw. She wouldn't give up her towel and pillow so i let them in her house. This cat actually moved her pillow around until she got it just where she likes it and plops down on her little straw bed, head propped on her pillow, every night! She has her water bowl and a doormat that says HOME in front of her cat house. I have to bring her food dish in after she eats to avoid attracting other animals onto my patio. Spoiled kitty lol. I love her to death.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's outside 100% of the time then unfortunately her life expectancy is going to be shorter than if she was inside. There are a lot of dangers outside whether it's predators, being hit by a car, or some jackass who doesn't like Cats deciding she's a problem.

It certainly looks like you really care about her, but if you can't bring her inside then as much as it may hurt to give her up the best thing for her would be to find someone who can keep her in their home, maybe someone in the same apartment complex so you could at least see her now and then. If there are any no kill shelters in your area that would be another option, either one is going to be better for her than staying outside for the rest of her life.

Neekyboo

Pepper’s Mama
Kitten
Purraise
Update on Pepper: SHE is actually a HE! I found out at his first vet appt that Pep Pep is a boy!!! He's had all his shots, had a dewomer and has an appt to be neutered. He gets flea treatments now bc he refuses to wear a collar. Oh well. He's an indoor cat now also. He's a god and smart kitty too. Brings so much joy to our house, with the exception of my boyfriend. He doesn't like cats. Other than that Pep is doing great!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update on Pepper: SHE is actually a HE!
That must have been a surprise! :)

He's an indoor cat now also.
Excellent !!!! :clap2: How are the humans with the allergies doing?

He's a god and smart kitty too.
Was that a typo? Or is he really a "god". :lol:

Brings so much joy to our house, with the exception of my boyfriend. He doesn't like cats. Other than that Pep is doing great!
I bet before long Pep will win over your boyfriend. :catlove: