Paralyzed Stray Black Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I am happy to report that Fetén is perfectly fine after the procedure, just with a large bald patch in his back where he was shaved. Luckily, he did not need to be hospitalized and was able to leave the hospital the same day!

I haven't seen him because my husband had to take him to another city for the procedure and stayed there for the whole week (for work, not due to the procedure), but they are on their way as I write this. I'll make sure to post pictures once they're back home!

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

First of all, a long overdue picture of Fetén in his sling:
Fetén.jpeg

Like I said, just a folded bed sheet with holes for his legs, but it has been super useful to get him moving in a correct position. He is even able to jump with his front legs and me holding him in the sling to catch his "prey", just like in the picture.

The vet said that we should wait around fifteen to twenty days for any results. He said sometimes something happens, sometimes nothing happens, but that we should wait and see. In any case, he recommended to repeat the procedure in three months, and up to four times total, so we are still waiting.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Sorry for being so late in posting an update. I have good news though! Fetén had a second round of the platelet-rich plasma procedure and we are waiting to get him the third (and most likely) final one. He was supposed to get it this week, but the vet is on vacation so we will have to wait a bit more.

His progress has been more than we had hoped for. Especially if he gets excited, like when he is playing with the other cats or watching birds, for example, his tail starts swishing like crazy and his legs twitch. His tail used to be completely lifeless, then got a little better with therapy, the lifeless again and now we see more consistent movement that is only getting stronger.

The feeling in his hind legs is also stronger. We had to pinch him quite forcefully before to get a reaction from him (part of therapy, not us being mean to him!) and now just scratching his legs with my hand is enough for him to move them.

He also sleeps more often in a "normal" cat position with his legs tucked under him and curled up, whereas before he would be usually sleep with his head and front paws facing one way, his tail another, and each hind leg yet another direction.

Also, now when he drags along the floor, we see his legs actually imitating the movement of a step.

Lastly, we needed some orthopedic implements for his hind paws because his toes are curling up, but all providers we talked to make them for dogs only, and none were wiling to manufacture them for a cat. But last week his therapist found someone willing to make them and tomorrow he is getting fitted for them! These are what we need for him to start positioning his paws normally because since he drags his legs, his paws don't touch the floor. Now we will be able to place him in his wheelchair or the harness and actually put his paws on the floor.

It's still a long way to go, but little by little we are making progress. In any case, he is a happy, healthy and curious cat. He has become very adept at darting away when he does not want to be picked up. It is amazing to see how fast he can move on just two legs, but we will keep trying!

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is Fetén with his new "shoes", sunbathing by the window.

These are the braces he needs to wear to prevent his paws from curling. You can also see how he now curls his tail (that was him moving his tail!:hyper:)

Today he finally had his third and last platelet-rich plasma treatment. My husband and Fetén are on their way back right now actually, so I haven't seen them (it's still one more hour or so before they get home, I can't wait!). Since Fetén was going to be anesthetized for the third time , the vet offered to also neuter him at the same time and avoid any more anesthesia in the short term. We were going to do this anyway and I also wanted to avoid any more anesthesia, so now it's done.

Now it is just a waiting game to see how much more progress we get from this treatment. From what we have seen so far, it is promising, but we are not quite there yet where he can actually walk, but we are still hoping.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update! Yay fetan! Curl that tail, little buddy!
I hope he continues to improve with the treatment. You are doing such an amazing job with him. I'm sure it's hard to try and regulate your expectations while he's undergoing treatment, so you don't get your hopes up too high. But he has made such mind blowing progress since the last time I checked this thread - both with his sling and with his lower body nerve response. I can't help but he excited for you two!
You have vastly improved his quality of life with your love and perseverance. It's so beautiful!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nahui, you and your husband have made a great effort. both financial and emotional, in taking care of Fenten. I hope that you are rewarded with a cure, or at least reach a point where Fenten can walk unaided.

The world, particularly cats, need more people like you.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nahui, you and your husband have made a great effort. both financial and emotional, in taking care of Fenten. I hope that you are rewarded with a cure, or at least reach a point where Fenten can walk unaided.

The world, particularly cats, need more people like you.
Thanks!

They're back!!! Even after being anesthetized and then five hours on the road coming back, amazingly Fetén is still in the mood to play :lol:.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yess::yess:I am always delighted to see your updates on this beautiful little cat. I hope you don't forget about us as time goes on. Perhaps a few years from now, you can write down everything that has been done for Feten and for his recovery, have it reviewed by one of the veterinarians who has been involved, and have it published in a veterinary magazine or journal for future cats to benefit. Your knowledge on the subject of Fenton's injuries can benefit many future cats.

I hope you are blessed and rewarded for all of your hard work, effort, and money spent on helping this little cat. Not just in seeing Feten abel to walk again someday, but in your life in general. Call it blessings or Karma, you have a lot of goodness heading back your way.