Purraise
Sent pm couple of days ago....no reply

Feten has always been such an active posted so , yes I’m a little concerned

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Still here, I just got really sick, but all is well now! Fetén is still going to therapy twice a week and we will keep bringing him in for at least the rest of the year. His therapist is still confident that he has a chance to use his legs, so we will keep at it, although, to be honest, I would like to see faster progress, but it is what it is. Still, I am not complaining because he is happy and healthy. One major thing I (and others) have noticed is that he is getting better bladder and sphincter control. For poop, he now basically does it on his own, whereas before he needed to be stimulated.

I still have to empty his bladder, but it now feels firmer, which I have been told means he is getting stronger muscles, so that is great. We have now even more exercises that we need to practice with him at home everyday, but it is also more difficult to get him to cooperate because all he wants to do is play!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you were sick , hope you are feeling better , as you can see Feten (and you of course ) hold a place in a lot of our hearts here on TCS , i even spotted a thread yesterday titled: ‘where is feten?’

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
daisyd daisyd , it really fills my heart to know that so many of you care so much for Fetén! That is just the most wonderful thing. Tomorrow I will have to take him to therapy because Sarah cannot take him as usual, so we had to move his appointment to the only available spot on short notice, which was Tuesday at 9 pm!

Hopefully that will be the case only for this week, but whatever it takes, we don't want him to miss a single therapy session. We don't see much difference from one session to the other, but we know that being consistent is the most important thing for long-term results, plus he loves it!

trudy1 trudy1 , boy, oh boy is Fetén teaching me so much about living life to the fullest. He just does not care whether his legs work or not, he just goes for it like any normal cat. Of course, we take every measure to make sure he his safe, but otherwise he is just as much of a daredevil as any other growing kitten is... I even help him climb a tree outside in the garden when I catch him looking up wistfully!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are certain cats, and their stories, that touch the hearts of TCS members, and Fetén is one of them. :heartshape:
I'm so happy he's responding well to his therapy. And with help from his guardian angel, even climbing trees. :petcat:

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought I would just post a quick update about Fetén. He is doing very well, growing like crazy...He is now up to 6 lbs! As I said before, his therapy is still ongoing, but now the time is coming to get him neutered. We will be booking a consultation with a neurologist to discuss if we can neuter him soon because we have been told that the anesthesia might not be a good idea while he is in therapy, so we have to make sure.

Also, I recently found an article in a scientific vet journal about paraplegic cats regaining the ability to walk with certain medications (neurotransmitters). While the effects are temporary, this might be useful for his therapy and to get him "used to" walking. This is, of course, also something that we will consult with the neurologist and see if this is a viable course of action with Fetén. As I understand it, the best we can hope for is spinal walking, which means he would be able to walk, but without his brain being aware that his hind legs are walking. I am fine with it to be honest. In fact, we are fine whether he walks or not. He looks to me to be happy and we can adapt our house to make it easier for him to move around, but of course, if he walks, all the better.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you research the laser therapy by any chance? Some people have had good luck with that.

I hope he can go ahead and be neutered. Male cats are only under for 10 minutes. Theirs is a very quick procedure. It will be one less thing to worry over by avoiding the male testosterone.

It’s wonderful that you will be accommodating Feten regardless of his ability to walk!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good feten....pet that sweet head for me and wish him happy Easter!

You are such good parents to him....we all could learn a lot from that kind of caring and love.

BTW, I do enjoy the updates.

Myself, I wouldn’t be in any great hurry to neuter him. Just more trauma on the little guy. Of course I’m not there to know if you’re dealing with the dreaded “testosterone effect” or not.

Anyway keep us posted.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The amazing, wonderful Feten! Glad he is doing well and hope they give good advice with regard to neutering him. I have a female cat and it seemed like a bit of a big operation for her at the time ; however as Sarthur2 Sarthur2 advises it’s seems simpler for boy cats. X

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , yes, Fetén also gets laser therapy. From what I understand they do magnetic therapy, where they put him inside a big magnetic ring, laser therapy, electric therapy, where they set him up with electrodes and basically "shock" his hind legs and tail (at least that is what it seems to me!) and LED therapy, if I remember correctly. On top of that we get a ton of exercises to do at home, like stimulating his tails and paws and simulating walking with his hind legs.

We will see if he can get neutered soon. We do indeed want to avoid the male testosterone effect, as we have other cats (all spayed/neutered) and we also want to avoid having Fetén getting the urge to go out. He is becoming quite adventurous so we have to be careful with this one :biggrin:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful updates! Feten is getting devoted and thorough care - I cannot imagine a better caring home for him. As far as neutering goes, my vet waits until their scrotum is full-looking as early neutering can lead to urinary problems later; there is a lot of teenager behavior before spraying and harassing the ladies sets in. Of course, your vet will know better than me. I am glad that you are healthy as well. Again, thank you for the updates. I am sure that this thread has helped many visitors seek better treatments for their paralyzed kitties - what a marvelous time we live in :)

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am elated! Fetén stood up on his hind legs for about a second :yess:. It is not much, but I am beyond ecstatic. He did it all by himself, wanting to reach a (low to the ground) window where the other cats sit to sunbathe. He kept trying and trying to get on that windowsill reaching up with his front paws but it wasn't enough to reach the window, so all of a sudden he stood up awkwardly and for only a second but it was clearly him standing up. I know him and I know that sometimes it might appear that he wants to stand up, but this was completely different. I did, of course, help him up on to the windowsill right after :blush:.

I wish I had recorded it, but it was so brief and I was watching him to make sure he would not get hurt trying to get on the windowsill that all I have is that I know he stood up. Tomorrow we have an appointment for therapy, so I'll make sure to mention it to his therapist.

I am seeing some positive changes in his legs. He is now even grooming his hind legs, which he didn't do before. He would just clean his face and the top part of his body and ignore his hind legs and tail. He is also quicker to respond when we pinch him (which is part of the exercises to do at home to stimulate his legs... not me being mean to him!).
We'll see how therapy goes tomorrow!