Paralyzed Stray Black Kitten

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think feten has a lot of things to show us yet....this is just a teaser, mom.

Be still my heart that’s great news!

He’s kind of like “the little engine that could “ read the children’s story, if it’s not feten to a t!

Thanks feten and family , I kind of needed that today

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I realized I haven't posted pictures of Fetén in quite a while. He is fast becoming a teenage kitten! Even his therapist was surprised at how much he has grown in the last couple of weeks.
IMG_20180407_090857[1].jpg

I also managed to film a very short video from his therapy, but I see that I can only post a URL. After talking with his therapist we decided it was best to wait a couple of months to get him neutered. They will also neuter him at the same vet hospital, so that his therapist can keep an eye on him and inform the surgeon and anesthesiologist about his special circumstances.

Lastly, as you can see, Fetén is fully integrated with both of my other cats (Fetén is the one all the way on the right). Now, if only I could find some space for me to sleep on that bed...:blush:
Three_amigos[1].jpg

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it comes time for neutering Feten, would it be possible to use a local for the operation? It might be less stressful for him than full anesthesia?

Hope you and family are also doing we;;.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I realized that I haven't updated this in a while, so a brief update:

-Like I said, therapy will continue for at least another six months, and then we will reassess if it is a good idea to continue. We might still give him therapy, buying the equipment and training myself to do it.

-Fetén, nonetheless, is happy as can be. He goes outside to the garden every day (always supervised) and he absolutely loves being outside, sunbathing, and stalking my other cats. He is now a teenager in every sense of the word!

- A couple of months ago I made a sling for him, which he now loves. It is just a bed sheet that I folded and sew together and then cut out holes for his hind legs. I place him in it and then he can walk like a cat with me holding him up. It took a few days for him to get the hang of it, but now loves it. I guess it is because he gets to move more freely and faster, so we do that everyday.

-We also managed to build him a wheelchair, based on a youtube video (this one: ). It turned out great, but we are still getting him used to it, which is taking longer than I would like, but for now we're sticking to the sling I made.

-Lastly, I started researching other alternatives and found an article in a veterinary journal where they use neurotransmitters injections, but this turned out to be highly experimental and I couldn't find a vet in the area who could tell me anything about it, but in the process I found out that there was still something else we could try: Platelet rich plasma. He is getting the procedure done on Monday. I am not expecting anything from it, but on recommendation of his veterinary and his physical therapist, we are going to give it a try. I am VERY stressed and scared over having him go through all of this, but we have to try because what if this is the thing that really helps him?

Fetén has become an incredibly affectionate cat. He is super attached to me. He even sleeps right next to me and makes sure to wake me up gently, purring right in my face. I have almost been late to work a few times because who can get out of bed when you have a purring cat curled up against you and looking right at you with content eyes? I certainly can't!

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a fantastic update!

What is the procedure for the plasma therapy?
The procedure involves the vet drawing Fetén's blood, which is then centrifuged to separate the platelets to inject them back on the site of the injury. This helps heal and regenerate the injury, which is why it is most effective to do it right after the injury, but there is still a chance it might help him, even if it is only a little bit.

The vet who will be performing the procedure is a veterinary professor at a vet school. He has done research on dogs with a 50% recovery rate. He has never tried it in cats, but was very clear that this is not experimental, as there is a clear protocol for the procedure already in place.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, that’s great news he is doing well. I was going to send you my usual feten request but you beat me to it!
You know I think there’s a special bond between you and feten. All that love poured out on the little guy! He came from such suffering but now...I wonder if, in his quiet time, he just lays there with you thinking...wow, mom...thanks!
Remember, we are all out here waiting for his report and pictures, as you can.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The platelet therapy sounds a lot like an auto stem cell transplant that is used for humans. The "auto" in this case means a "self" transplant of stem cells.The stem cells are filtered from the patients blood every day for a week. The blood is returned daily to the patient. At the end of the week, the stem cells are injected into the desired location of the patient's body.

I hope the the platelet rich plasma therapy helps Feten.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update. I hope the procedure helps. :redheartpump: Please let us know how it goes. And, also, when you can, post a pic of Fetén and the homemade sling. :camera: