Panther has a broken femer!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy you were able to get some rest!
Yes, Panther may be starting to play games with you! The litter attract sounds like a really good idea. He needs to be reminded that the litter box is were he does his business, not the bed.

He ate well, which is a huge sign! Hooray... and poops in the box is a better one.

Panther will get stronger and stronger every day. He will be 'testing' you, as he improves. Like a little kid. Which he is...

As far as the bartering for services: I think that is an excellent idea! OMG.. such a good thing to be doing..
Sometimes I think I should go to a chiropractor.. I have arthritis in my lower spine and right hip.
And area also a side sleeper.

Another good nights sleep, and you will be feeling so much better.

About your upstairs neighbors hearing Pather cry. I do not think they are able to. You have a lot of distance between them.. and him..... plus the construction stuff. Older buildings seem to have been built much better than are are now... not such paper thin walls....

Kelly, I think they may sell a spray version of the Litter attract.. Check on Chewy..
And, do you have an outlet where you can plug in Feliway? I know it is expensive, but it may help.. Or Rescue Remedy? I think now is the time to try these things.. for the bathroom..

(((Hugs))))

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread has been enlightening for me. I have never known a cat with an amputation but what they show on TV apparently isn't what happens in real life. On TV, they show the cat getting around just find hours after surgery and life goes on like usual. I guess that's not true from what I am reading. Never imagined it would be such a process to get a cat back to normal after an amputation. :hugs: to you and Panther.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy you were able to get some rest!
Yes, Panther may be starting to play games with you! The litter attract sounds like a really good idea. He needs to be reminded that the litter box is were he does his business, not the bed.

He ate well, which is a huge sign! Hooray... and poops in the box is a better one.

Panther will get stronger and stronger every day. He will be 'testing' you, as he improves. Like a little kid. Which he is...

As far as the bartering for services: I think that is an excellent idea! OMG.. such a good thing to be doing..
Sometimes I think I should go to a chiropractor.. I have arthritis in my lower spine and right hip.
And area also a side sleeper.

Another good nights sleep, and you will be feeling so much better.

About your upstairs neighbors hearing Pather cry. I do not think they are able to. You have a lot of distance between them.. and him..... plus the construction stuff. Older buildings seem to have been built much better than are are now... not such paper thin walls....

Kelly, I think they may sell a spray version of the Litter attract.. Check on Chewy..
And, do you have an outlet where you can plug in Feliway? I know it is expensive, but it may help.. Or Rescue Remedy? I think now is the time to try these things.. for the bathroom..

(((Hugs))))
Thanks! I will check chewy & Amazon, because I have prime. That would be great.
Yes, I do have some comfort zone still, but the diffuser gets so hot. I think I may need a new one, but think I have a couple of bottles left to put on it. I do have rescue remedy, & we've both been taking it. Lol! He was a little beyond that though. Really needed the extra gabapentin. He's such an independent, strong willed boy, & who's used to going outside. So now, to be not just inside, but kept in a small room, much less, a crate, he hates it. So I understand his anger when he's had it. But I do think he's going to need something to help him transition to being inside only. He's going to be pissed!!!

As far as my upstairs neighbor, I'm so glad she didn't hear him, but no, these were cheaply made. Walls (& floor/ ceilings) are SO paper thin!! Hate that! When the unit across upstairs was for sale, & an inspector came, I made a point to ask him about it, "shouldn't there be a firewall?" He said there were, but things were different bk then, & code has changed, that they were thinner. 😕 It's one of the only things I don't like here.
Well, Panther was bk on the meow train for a few, waiting for the gabapentin to kick in, so since my neighbor is at work, I put ear plugs in & went bk to sleep for half an HR.
had to get up at 9 to eat a yogart, so I could take my bp meds. It's quite, so think I'm going to try to go bk to sleep from 9:30-10:30, then I'll get up, & do Panthers compress. He'll be chill by then, so he'll be ok outside the crate for some stretch out time, while I get ready to go to my appt.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonder if Panther would like a Snuggle Kitty?

View attachment 396891
I don't know, it would be nice, but something tells me probably not. He's such an alpha boy. Especially when he was outside. I think he might feel threatened by anything resembling another cat. Lol. Especially in a crate w/ not much room. When "Panther Jr" would come around, they would moan & groan at each other, & I'd have to shoo him off, so there wouldn't be a fight. I know they've faught before. 😕

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Adorable pic. Well, he may have some weakness in his groin area from the operation, is a possible guess; and as he heals, and walks around, his muscle tone may improve and he may be able to hold it until he reaches his box. Just a guess.
Yeah, I was born with a tipped vertebra, which sometimes affects my spinal nerve -- excruciating pain! Most of the time it's not that bad and I just power through it all, but when it's bad I have to use a back brace, too.
I lived in a 4-plex with paper thin walls and floors, because the tenant below me said he could hear my cats playing at night! I heard the tenant next to me -- she was a very heavy girl and she and her boyfriend used to argue a lot. Fortunately, her parents owned the place and they were cat lovers and very good landlords -- she actually thanked me and talked to them about keeping the noise down! They were the best landlords ever, and I liked living there. It was a nice building and she did all kinds of things to make it comfortable before I moved in.
So glad the gabapentin is helping Panther and you!!! He seems to be improving day by day.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to say this, but I have a disturbing thought.
You said that Panther’s sciatic nerve was damaged.
I wonder if that could be making him a bit incontinent ???
Something to ask the Vet.
Or it may be too sore for him to get up to pee. Pooping is different.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All good, valid points. I'll definitely have to ask the vet about it, but feel like if it was going to possibly affect his potty habits, she would have mentioned it. I think it's a combo of being sore, being in a small space, not liking the pellets, etc.. 🤞🤞🙏🙏 that's all.
I did have an idea. Since I couldn't use the litter attract in the box, I had a jute sachet that I put some in & tied it to the bar above the box, so he could smell it. Plus a little just dust of it came out, so shook it on the pellets a little & it worked!! I took a video. I'll post it soon. Have to go give his gabapentin now. He's quiet, so doesn't know I'm hm yet. Took advantage & jumped online to pay rent & a bill.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine anything less comfortable and less cat-attractant and cat-friendly than those pellets. They look like the pellets we used in our pellet stove in the Mojave. They probably are the same thing. Cats in their natural habitat prefer sandy substrate. Scoopable clay is the closest to that. I understand why it's not indicated for Panther after major surgery like that, but I'd think something soft like newspaper *not that anyone even has those anymore, right?* would be better, or even those crystal litters.
Panther is doing very well, though, to use them! He definitely deserves a treat and lots of PURRaise! :redheartpump: :bigeyes: :redheartpump: :heartshape:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! He definitely got some treats!
His usual litter is the corn. I like that best. Almost zero dust, & doesn't feel as sharp as some clay can.
I think I may have to look for a new litter box with a little shorter sides now for him.
T Thankfully, when he has used it when Inside, he's really nice & neat about it. Maybe a little on the rim, & tiny bit from stepping out, but really shockingly almost no mess!
A neat / clean freak momma's dream! 😄

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kelly, when Panther is allowed to go out of the bathroom, he can start using a litterbox that has a low cutout on one side so he can step in without climbing. I would rather have that than a litterbox with four low sides, which run the risks of peeing outside the box even if the cat is squatting in it and a bigger litter mess. Of course that is for later because they don't fit in crates, but you will want to already have it the day he is ready to live a "normal" life again.

I love seeing him stand up and hop so soon after his surgery!

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kelly, when Panther is allowed to go out of the bathroom, he can start using a litterbox that has a low cutout on one side so he can step in without climbing. I would rather have that than a litterbox with four low sides, which run the risks of peeing outside the box even if the cat is squatting in it and a bigger litter mess. Of course that is for later because they don't fit in crates, but you will want to already have it the day he is ready to live a "normal" life again.
Oh yeah, definitely. I mentioned that in a post above. I'll have to look & see what I can find for those on Amazon. 👍