Officially Started Them on Raw!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
arghh
.  Okay, so I placed an order with PetFood Direct LAST Thursday for some Weruva for the finicky days, and I still don't have it.  I called them on Monday asking why i hadn't even gotten a confirmation email yet, and they said "computer issues", but my order was definitely  there, but they would email their warehouse and make sure that if anything was on backorder, they would at least send whatever they currently had in stock.  Next day I rec'd an email stating the Stella and Chewy's wasn't in their West Coast warehouse, so would be delayed.  Fine...really need the canned food.  Same day I get a tracking number stating order has shipped.  Next day I get another email stating order has shipped and another tracking number.  Great.  I guess everything is on it's way. 

What do I get today?  The Stella and Chewys.  What have I still not gotten?  The Weruva, which was not even on backorder.  Does UPS deliver on the weekend?  NO
.  when I called Pet Food Direct right after I opened the box, they said they show the Weruva hasn't even shipped yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Even though when I look at "my account" it does show it shipped.  So, in the meantime, i am sitting here completely drugged up due to a migraine, so cannot drive, plus now it's rush hour, and the cats have no canned food.  (that's why they got 3 raw meals yesterday, and finally at lunch today I gave them the last 3 oz can we had because I expected their shipment this afternoon.  PLUS, they are showing signs of getting tired of raw, so I thought a meal of only canned would be a nice change (lunch's canned was "dessert", since it was 3 oz split between 3 cats!)  I know I'm rambling, but I am very, very upset here.  They (PFD) offered me a $15 credit, but that doesn't put food in my cats mouths.  And, besides, I'm not sure I will ever order from them again!!!!!!!  Arghh

OK, I'm done ranting.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow that sucks. Seriously, not much more to say than that!!!!! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: I am SO sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And major bummer about the migraine to boot! :( :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carmina piranha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's so frustrating. It used to be great, to be able to track packages. But now companies say stuff has shipped when it hasn't, so it's like being back to the "dark ages."

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't blame you one bit for being angry - YOUR BABIES NEED THEIR WERUVA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :stomp: So sorry, Sally, about that screwed up delivery and your migraine. :hugs: :hugs: I would be hesitant to order from them again too, but I think they are one of the biggest online pet food companies!! Surprised they screwed up - but maybe it was a one time offense :dk: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

BUT GOOD NEWS on the kitties weights :clap::clap: I have noticed too that my cats are looking SO great and it makes going through all of the frustrations that come along with the raw transition SO WORTH IT :clap::clap:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ooh ooh...I have a line on a freezer.  Only a couple miles away (again).  This is a stand up freezer, 11 cubic feet, I think.  $65 on Craigs List.  Not too big, but that's ok, cause we can't eat THAT MUCH ice cream, and we already do have two side-by-side fridges, so don't need too much space.  If it isn't full, then it isn't energy efficient.  I'm hoping we can go see it Sunday, because I'm not available tomorrow when the seller is.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So, this morning I fed the babies the Natures Logic rabbit that none of them liked earlier on, and they all liked it!
.  Callie gorged herself on it!  Darko took some toppers to get started, but then got down to business.  And my little carnivore, Stinkpot, just took to it right away.
   I guess  should just quit trying to figure them out.  (maybe I should try them again on the NM chicken and turkey!...will give this some thought)

anyway, apparently the above mentioned freezer isn't getting too much action, because it's still available and we are going to see it sunday afternoon.  I think the reason is because her ad didn't say much.  I had to email her about the price, how old it was, where she was located (ish), etc.  She said something about "older freezer for sale, but runs great"
.  Well, in my book, older is better, because they don't  make 'em like they used to! 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: When I saw the beginning, I just KNEW the end was going to be they liked it! :flail: Nope, don't bother trying to figure them out. :lol3:

And good luck with the freezer! That was exactly what the ad said about the freezer we came home with. And it does run great! :clap: :clap: :clap:(KNOCK WOOD! :lol3: ).

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH SALLY!!!!!! :jump: On the NL Rabbit!!!!!!!! OMG that is fantastic. I have learned too that just because they refuse something once or twice doesn't mean that it will be refused forever :clap::clap::clap:

AND Good luck on that freezer tomorrow :cross: OH I hope you get it.... you will be so happy to have a freezer. :hyper: It is great to have all of that extra space not only for the cat food but for people food too :D :clap::clap:

Last edited:

curiosityscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say, "Thank you!". (But, I do it my own way, so pardon the ramble)..I am considering and trying Raw for my 1st time. Times are tough as you know, but I really, for as long as I can, want to try and get at least my oldest boy 21yrs old onto a Raw diet (for as long as I can afford the expense) to hopefully help Socksie correct some kidney issues he has been having and stay with me for a long time to come.Your posts, one of the 1st I've read through for someone starting and facing various issues from finicky eaters to special needs babies/Sven. You really are an inspiration to me, so "Thank you for sharing your Clan's story, and a part of your life." Intending to or not, you have already been a lot of help to me. I've read various posts as research, but overall because they are from many people facing various challenges, they've felt a bit disjointed, and your updates have truly given me a picture of the mountain I'm facing with my boys, but in a good way! *winks*My deepest and heartfelt sympathy for Sven, I'm so sorry to hear Sven is going through what he is, and I can say that honestly, because I, myself am dealing with and facing many health issues that sometimes are very overwhelming, and to know that Sven and you in turn by being his caregiver, along with the fact that you are such a special person, that you do so many things necessary in order to try and provide Sven the best quality of life possible. You are amazing. *smiles* Honestly, from both a new to RAW diet perspective (at least until I receive my in-coming package of raw food (from Hare-Today) and from an inspirational perspective, that if you and Sven have so much to contend with on a daily basis, that you both remind me of how blessed I am dealing with just the stuff I am dealing with versus how much an amazing person, such as yourself and an amazing feline like Sven must deal with just to get by, survive, and thrive, you are both truly amazing individuals and credit to your species.Thank you for sharing your experiences and lives with us/ME! I genuinely appreciate it. *HUG*I honestly hope that things get better for Sven, the world needs every good loving cat, and every wonderfully caring human friend. I do not. Know what disease/illness Sven has (as in, no in-depth knowledge about it, BUT what I do know however, is that you are a wonderful and caring person to give so much of your time, energy, finances, and love, in order to take care of, and look after Sven).My BEST WISHES, and I GREATEST hope is that Sven feels better, eats more, and has (what already seems like) a very happy life with you, for a long, long time!! *HUG*Cat

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just wanted to say, "Thank you!". (But, I do it my own way, so pardon the ramble)..I am considering and trying Raw for my 1st time. Times are tough as you know, but I really, for as long as I can, want to try and get at least my oldest boy 21yrs old onto a Raw diet (for as long as I can afford the expense) to hopefully help Socksie correct some kidney issues he has been having and stay with me for a long time to come. Your posts, one of the 1st I've read through for someone starting and facing various issues from finicky eaters to special needs babies/Sven. You really are an inspiration to me, so "Thank you for sharing your Clan's story, and a part of your life." Intending to or not, you have already been a lot of help to me. I've read various posts as research, but overall because they are from many people facing various challenges, they've felt a bit disjointed, and your updates have truly given me a picture of the mountain I'm facing with my boys, but in a good way! *winks* My deepest and heartfelt sympathy for Sven, I'm so sorry to hear Sven is going through what he is, and I can say that honestly, because I, myself am dealing with and facing many health issues that sometimes are very overwhelming, and to know that Sven and you in turn by being his caregiver, along with the fact that you are such a special person, that you do so many things necessary in order to try and provide Sven the best quality of life possible. You are amazing. *smiles* Honestly, from both a new to RAW diet perspective (at least until I receive my in-coming package of raw food (from Hare-Today) and from an inspirational perspective, that if you and Sven have so much to contend with on a daily basis, that you both remind me of how blessed I am dealing with just the stuff I am dealing with versus how much an amazing person, such as yourself and an amazing feline like Sven must deal with just to get by, survive, and thrive, you are both truly amazing individuals and credit to your species. Thank you for sharing your experiences and lives with us/ME! I genuinely appreciate it. *HUG* I honestly hope that things get better for Sven, the world needs every good loving cat, and every wonderfully caring human friend. I do not. Know what disease/illness Sven has (as in, no in-depth knowledge about it, BUT what I do know however, is that you are a wonderful and caring person to give so much of your time, energy, finances, and love, in order to take care of, and look after Sven). My BEST WISHES, and I GREATEST hope is that Sven feels better, eats more, and has (what already seems like) a very happy life with you, for a long, long time!! *HUG* Cat
Thank you so much for your very kind words.  I am so glad we have inspired you.  Sadly, we lost our boy Sven on 3/29/12, but he gave it a good fight.  Kidney Disease was his  main issue, but something else was lurking around too, possibly heart disease, the Vet wasn't sure...just knew whatever it was it wasn't good, so we decided to let him go without putting him through a battery of tests, mainly because he told me he was ready to go
.  I miss him every day, but am so glad his story has helped you in your decision to start your 21 year old on raw.  Good for you.  You'll definitely need to keep us posted on your/his progress.  Good luck! 

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have a freezer!  Picked it up today.  So excited.  It's an upright, but pretty small, maybe 5 feet tall, if that.  Perfect size, I think.  It's 11 cubic feet.  I'll post pictures tomorrow.  Right now it's plugged in and getting colder, although it was still cold when we plugged it in!  Must- go- shopping

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So.... are you shopping for cat food or people food?
Both!  (first I have to make sure it actually freezes though
.  I put a bottle of Gatorade in there...it was the only thing I had  handy that wouldn't hurt if it DID freeze)

curiosityscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My condolences on Sven, I'd say I can't imagine, but due to having Socksie, his age, and health issues, I unfortunately can. So my deepest sympathies on this loss. At least he is where he can be happy, and no longer hurt. (Hard for me to talk about).........Congratulations on your new freezer, I hope it works (and works out)!....I'm awaiting a Hare-Today order, but if you don't mind, because of your experiences, I'd like to ask a question or two (I know I can post elsewhere, but I am asking (at this point) your own individual experiences:1) After starting on raw (even quasi-raw) did you notice a change, more aggressive behavior? I have a friend that started feeding a few NV raw medallions, and his cute little kitty that has always caught birds and just batted them around (she has always been attracted to prey items, but hasn't that he knows of ever "polished them off" to say it politely. She occasionally chases or jumps at birds, but not much else. However, today, apparently she jumped, caught a bird, and went straight for the kill (tore the throat out) before he got to her. I wasn't surprised, re-explaining to him hunter/prey instinct, and iMHO that raw cab trigger those latent instincts. (Like a wolf-dog hybrid, you feed kibble, you leave him be to eat; you start feeding raw meat and bone, and you definitely get away/leave alone when they eat, as hunt-prey switch flips on, in my experience). I'm just curious if you've noticed any differences along those lines for your kitties?.2) What supplements or even supplements to increase interest, do you use?.3) I live in a quasi-rural area, through what suppliers (online and otherwise) do you locate your raw supplies? .Guess that's all for now, thank you for your input! All my best to you and your pawed babies! *HUG* *smiles*

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We have freezage!  I've already transferred what little frozen raw cat food I have left into the it.  Will be picking up more food on Thursday, because that local place I think I mentioned is special ordering some Bravo Pork and it won't be in until then.  I think I mentioned that they can order Radcat too, but only by the case, so NOW I can have them do that
.  I also joined  the local yahoo BARF group and found someone in my town who feeds (cats) raw, so am checking to see if she might want to share some if the cats grow tired of it.

Anyway, without further ado. here's the pix:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh it is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sally - it's PERFECT! :clap: :clap: :clap: OK - I love having the extra freezer space. But I am jealous of the upright! :lol3:

And GREAT you know what the issue is with the Rad Cat! Maybe the other raw feeder will want to split some cases with you too! :bigthumb:

Aw... HAVE FUN SHOPPING! We had as much fun at the butcher for ourselves as we did ordering for the kitties. :lol3:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My condolences on Sven, I'd say I can't imagine, but due to having Socksie, his age, and health issues, I unfortunately can. So my deepest sympathies on this loss. At least he is where he can be happy, and no longer hurt. (Hard for me to talk about)... ... ... Congratulations on your new freezer, I hope it works (and works out)! .. .. I'm awaiting a Hare-Today order, but if you don't mind, because of your experiences, I'd like to ask a question or two (I know I can post elsewhere, but I am asking (at this point) your own individual experiences: 1) After starting on raw (even quasi-raw) did you notice a change, more aggressive behavior? I have a friend that started feeding a few NV raw medallions, and his cute little kitty that has always caught birds and just batted them around (she has always been attracted to prey items, but hasn't that he knows of ever "polished them off" to say it politely. She occasionally chases or jumps at birds, but not much else. However, today, apparently she jumped, caught a bird, and went straight for the kill (tore the throat out) before he got to her. I wasn't surprised, re-explaining to him hunter/prey instinct, and iMHO that raw cab trigger those latent instincts. (Like a wolf-dog hybrid, you feed kibble, you leave him be to eat; you start feeding raw meat and bone, and you definitely get away/leave alone when they eat, as hunt-prey switch flips on, in my experience). I'm just curious if you've noticed any differences along those lines for your kitties? . 2) What supplements or even supplements to increase interest, do you use? . 3) I live in a quasi-rural area, through what suppliers (online and otherwise) do you locate your raw supplies? . Guess that's all for now, thank you for your input! All my best to you and your pawed babies! *HUG* *smiles*
Thank you for your condolences.  Yes, he is no longer suffering
.  I'm very excited about the new freezer.  It's those little things in life, ya know

So...you already know about Hare Today.  That's great.  Now I have never ordered from them, but now that I have my freezer, am seriously thinking about it.  Did you talk to them about supplements.  I think all of their ground food needs it, and Laurie has used it, so she'll be able to address that.  (Lauren too, but she's on vacation) 

As far as "toppings" to get them interested in actually eating the food, I use Whole Life freeze dried chicken, Halo Freeze dried chicken, Stella and Chewy's freeze dried anything, any brand freeze dried tripe
, Fortiflora, or parmesan cheese (from the green can).  On the freeze dried stuff, I just crumble it up and lightly sprinkle it on top, although in the beginning, I used to make little meatballs and literally ROLL them in the toppings until they weren't sticky anymore...that's how I got them started (that was a tip from Carolina...must give credit where credit is due
)

My cats are strictly indoors, so I haven't noticed a change in aggression as far as bird hunting, etc. as you describe above.  It's hard to say, really, because I just hung up a bird feeding outside the window where they hang out mainly, and everyday when I fill up the feeder, I also sprinkle lots of seed on the ground below it, so there are LOTS of birds there now, and I do notice the cats going kind of nuts in the window like they never did before, but the feeder is new
.  But it makes perfect sense to me that after eating raw they would want to eat what they catch.

Ok, on-lines places to order.  you already know about Hare Today, so that's good.  Then there is Naturesmenu.com.  If you call them, they will usually throw in something for free...I know they have done that for both me and Lauren, and their ground meals don't include bone, but a good substitute so they still get their calcium.  Then there's onlynaturalpet.com, where you can get Radcat, which is also ground, the cream of the crop (also boneless with a good substitute for the calcium).  If you set yourself up for autoshipping, then you get a discount, and also get a 15% discount for first time you order (try code FTB15 for that)  You can cancel your autoship anytime.  Others will probably add to the list.  Since I'm really just starting, these three are all I have saved in my favorites right now. 

Now, do you already have them on probiotics?  If you, lots of us started them on probiotics before starting on raw just to make sure their digestive systems were ready for it.  Then, once we started feeding raw, we added a Digestive Enzyme to the raw food to help also.  I'm still adding both to every meal.  I think Lauren uses a combination Probiotic AND Digestive Enzyme, and I believe they sell it at onlynaturalpet.  (I think it's called Animal Essentials)  Laurie uses the same probiotic that SHE takes
.  (I used to, but last time bought Mercola's Pet Probiotics)

Did I cover everything?  Can't wait to see your thread "started them on raw today"!!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, I forgot to mention, the freezer is in the garage
.  In Phoenix.  Not a good place for it, but what else could I do?  (on the opposite side of that door (not on the other side) is our spare fridge
.  It's been out there in the garage for a little over 20 years now, and still runs like a charm.  That's what I meant earlier when I said something about older things holding up better than newer