Officially Started Them on Raw!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Our Nature's Menu order arrived, so we are official!  Thought now was the time to start up a new thread so i can keep track of who is eating what, how much, etc.

Day 1 started with the last meal of the day.  I decided to put lamb on the menu, since this seemed popular amongst the cats now being transitioned.

Oh, and I should probably mention that lunch yesterday was not very popular, even though I tried two different cans, so they were pretty hungry before we started.

Since this was all new to my babies, and since they don't like pate (making it hard to mix the raw into it to hide it),I just decided to put a little bit of the lamb off to the side just to see how they would do.
  • Callie ate her other food and simply ignored the lamb.
  • Darko ate some of his food, but I think the smell may have turned him off, because he didn't eat as much as usual,and definitely didn't eat any lamb
  • Stinkpot tried to cover up his plate immediately, then ran away
    .  That's my finicky boy
    .  I had to remove all traces of the lamb and sprinkle heavily with Halo chicken powder, then hunt him down and offer him the plate right where he was to get him to eat anything.
  • Sven, since he' s already liking raw pieces of chicken, got all lamb (he only eats about a teas to a tablespoon at any given time, so not a big deal, I don't think).  He needed FortiFlora to get started, took one or two licks and said "what the ____
    "  So, I tossed that and gave him his regular canned, which he then totally refused.  But remember, Sven is CRF, and he's always a battle.  Yesterday was a bad day for him all the way around.  The ONLY thing he really ate much of at all yesterday was Temptations.  He wouldn't touch FD chicken, beef, duck, tripe, S & C salmon & chicken.
Speaking of FD Tripe...have any of you tried it?  OMG, I was so reminded of Carolina's kidney story as I was cutting it into smaller pieces (because that's what John at NM advised me to do, since it comes in hockey pucks).  I think all they are are dried compressed cow patties.  That's sure what they smell like, and feel like once you cut into them.  But the cats (except Sven) LOVE 'em!  And to think those little lips kiss mine
  (maybe never again
)

OK, morning of Day 2:

This time I decided to go with rolling pea sized lambballs in Halo chicken powder and once again put them next to their food
  • Callie ATE one!  (she had 3 but I'll consider ONE a good start, especially because she doesn't even eat the Halo chicken!!)
  • Darko ate one by mistake, I think.  Then he pulled the next one out and set it on his placemat the pawed at it, then walked away from his food and never returned, even though I then pulled the last one out of his bowl so it was lamb free
  • Stinkpot ate BOTH of his!!  (he does love that Halo FD chicken) 
    And the entire time I was rolling the lambballs, he was watching carefully from my shoulder.  That's our routine at mealtime...he gets up there and "supervises", so he was actually going nuts because of all that Halo powder right in front of him
  • Sven is always different.  He has a specific bowl he likes, and it doesn't have any room to put anything to the side (I need to change this somehow).  So, I offered him 2 Halo covered lambballs first.  No go.  So we just went to his canned food with his meds, and today he ate well.  (at least I know he likes cut up pieces of chicken, turkey and filet mignon.  I may just have to try NM chicken or turkey on him. 
Ok, that it for now.  Tune in later for more adventures!

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HI SALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfect time to start up your new thread :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: All I can say IS ...... don't give up no matter how frustrating the process can be :frusty: :lol3: I have found that if I just keep offering and offering - eventually the pickies do start to try and taste the new meat. Presley is my plate coverer :hide: like your Stinkpot :lol3: if something smells bad. I really DO hope the Nature's Menu is a hit with your babies. :cross: I was so surprised that Pipsqueak likes the NM Turkey :clap::clap: The chicken is not a favorite with the fussies. Hopefully you will at least have one or two that are the easy raw eaters :nod: :vibes:

SO EXCITING!!!!!!!! Have fun, sweetie :D :clap::clap::clap: I hope Callie, Stinkpot, Darko and Sven all make their momma very, very proud :lovegin: :lovegrin2:

OH on the Tripe - :eek2: OMG I had to feed Wilbur Tripe last Fall - talk about DISGUSTING :nausea: :sick: :barf: OMG OMG - I DO have some FD Tripe. Much easier to handle than the raw frozen Tripe. The cat's are not to keen on the tripe though, except of course my two W's. :lol3:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:flail: :flail: :flail: They love the FD tripe, but not fresh ground raw food. Oh Sally, this is might be a challenge! :lol3:

I hope you've learned the biggest lesson.... TRY not to let the process drive you crazy, and don't feel under any pressure to get them transitioned to 100% raw. :hugs:

But that they like the FD tripe... you have any way to crumble/crush it? Might be a useful topper, or something to roll those raw food balls in!

And yep, Shel is our food-burying cat. :rolleyes: He used to be like the food police when I fed canned. No one ever finished a meal, and he'd go around and "bury" everyone's dishes. :lol3:

Another "yep" - smell seems to be the driving factor in whether or not they want something. Lamb, being fatty, is usually attractive - but it also has a very strong smell. :sigh:

Most importantly, do your best to have fun with the process! :D

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yey, a new thread! :clap::clap::clap:
Sally, by the way - for NM, I find it that it is not as juicy, so I always add warm water to it and mix it well into a pate..... The kitties like it MUCH better that way.... :bigthumb:
I have not tried the chicken yet :rolleyes: Just soooo many things around, never got to it..... but they love the lamb - as long as it is served with extra water!

Good luck to you!! :clap::clap::clap:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I decided there is really no need to post every single meal unless something exciting happens, like this morning

Callie:  ate her meal but left her 2 little lambballs, then ate Sven's!
(After Sven refused it)

Darko:  ate his two lambballs, then ate Callie's two 
(after SHE refused hers)

Stinkpot:  ate his two lambballs

Sven:  refused to eat ANYTHING except his Temptations, but at least it sniffed at his lambball

So...What I did this morning was continue to roll them around in WL chicken powder, but instead of having them on the other side of the bowls, I moved them right next to their food (since last night there was no balking with them in the bowls and there were a few nibbles)  I'm thinking I should just stick to this routine for awhile, and just increase the number of lambballs.  I'll do this at least for the remainder of today, then maybe tomorrow I'll try one of two NOT coated in WL and see what happens?  What do you all think?  Or some of each (coated and non-coated in the same bowl for each?)  Remember, they don't eat pate, so it's kind of hard to mix it into their food.  They eat shredded, mainly.

Carolina, I do recall reading about adding some water, but don't want to do that for the lambballs!  When I tried to feed Sven just the lamb be itself the first time, I did add water, but it was a no go with him.  If I get them to full means (excuse me...WHEN I get them to full meals) then I'll add water.

Oh yes, we weighed them again last night.

Callie:        Lost   .2 lb

Darko:       Lost   .4 lb

Stinkpot:   Lost    .0 lb

Sven:        Lost    .2 lb  (his was a little difficult, because we did his sub-qs a couple hours prior, so tried to deduct that amount - scales actually showed no change in weight)

I really don't think our scales are that accurate (we're using our Wii)  I mean, Darko seemed to be so heavy that I was having a hard time lifting him, yet he showed he lost .4 lbs.  I would have sworn he had gained!  And Stinkpot hasn't budged the last 3 times we have weighed him...that in itself seems strange, doesn't it?  Oh well, our other scale only does increments of 1/2 lbs, so that's probably not as good, but maybe just for laughs I should try it to see how close they are. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: OH that is too hysterical....... Callie refusing her own lamb balls but eating Sven's. Guess the grass is greener - for the :princess: AND how funny Darko eating his AND - eating Callie's. BUT great news that Callie, Darko and Stinkpot ate their :sheep: balls!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigthumb: AND Sven - at least he sniffed his ::clap::clap: That's how it started with Pipsqueak.... sniff, sniff, and more sniff until his senses got used to the new smell, then it moves to.... lick, lick and more lick...... then God-willing, bite, bite and more bite and swallow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: The "sniff, lick, bite, swallow" process can take many,many days though :nervous: :lol3:

I also add a little warm water, just a touch, to Walden and Wendall's meals. They love it a but mushy :nod:

I think that I would wait and make sure the kids are eating the balls rolled in the "kitty crack" :flail: regularly for a few days before moving to no topping. I found that at least with mine, if I move to fast for them and smell is a big issue over here - this is what they do :hide: and :dash:................. :rolleyes:.............. If something smells off to my fussies - all bet's are off. :lol3: I think a good plan would be to roll a couple in the WL and a couple without at first and see how that goes :cross: but keep some rolled in the "kitty crack" for sure :D :bigthumb:

Oh please do - just for laughs - weigh them on the other scale!!!! :D Laughs are good :lol3: YEAH - that is odd that Stinkpot has not changed :dk: one way or the other..... I thought too that Walden gained but really he lost a few ounces. I am getting ready to do weigh-ins again - and this time I really DO think Walden has gained :eek:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I guess I should report in when I have time what's happening, just so I can refer to it myself
.  Today's mid-day meal.

Callie chewed and chewed on her lambball, but never quite was able to get it down.  At least she gave it a good go!   It did take some hand feeding to get her started though

Darko ate one, put another on his placemat, and left one

Stinkpot ate both of his

Sven wasn't even offered one, because I needed to make sure he ate his lunch, since he missed his bfast and therefore missed his meds.  (he DID eat this time and got all his meds
, albeit a little later than usual)

All in all, I'm quite satisfied with how they're doing so far.  Better than I had hoped, actually

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: Sally, that is GREAT for you crew! I think not offering Sven any was the smart move. But given they often walk away from their food when there's something there they don't like, this was EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigthumb:

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All in all, I'm quite satisfied with how they're doing so far.  Better than I had hoped, actually
That's sooooo fantastic how fast your babies are taking to the raw!!!
Even little Sven.  He and Mario should have a fussy fuzzy play date!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OMG, I am getting so old that my brain is truly and completely gone!  I honestly cannot remember what happened at last night's meal to document (for myself) what happened

But
, this morning as I was prep'ing their lambballs (with Stinkpot on my shoulder overseeing), I decided just to give Stinkpot one to see what he would do.  Mind you, this was before I rolled it in WL powder.   He gobbled it right down
.  Anyway, then I fed them as normal, with coated lambballs to the side.
  • Callie ate one with the additional help of FortiFlora
  • Darko ate one with the additional help of Forti Flora
  • Stinkpot ate his with the additional help of more WL powder - don't know if he really needed it, but he had started to wander around, and I still had some extra powder that I had used to roll the lambballs in, so I used it, since I couldn't put it back in the jar anyway, and it brought him back to his bowl
  • Sven once again wasn't given any because he really needs his meds and still isn't up to par. 
So, when they had all walked away, as I do every morning, I combined all the leftovers in one bowl and kind of heaped them up for easier access and the leftover lambballs were just lumped in there somewhere, and I went upstairs to convince Sven to eat.  Sometime during that time someone polished off the bowl downstairs
.  My guess is that it was Stinkpot, but I can't be sure. 

Since they are only eating little tiny meatballs right now, I have decided to switch and try turkey next, because this is day 3 working on our first patty, and I don't want to keep it any longer than today (I think 3 days in the fridge is the max), so I've now got a turkey patty thawing in the fridge for their last meal of the day.  Lamb is still on the menu for their afternoon meal, then we'll switch and see how they react.  That should be ok since they aren't eating much yet, don't you think?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: You need a camera on those bowls when you leave them unattended :lol2: At least SOMEONE is loving the leftover's :bigthumb:

Three day's is what is recommended by Nature's Menu. I am sure if it goes a few hours over the 72 hour recommendation - should be just fine :nod: I do think it will be fine to try the Turkey and just switch. At first I was trying to get each and every protein to 100% - meaning the first day 25% raw, 75% canned, the second day 50% raw and the third day 75% and then 100%. Well when we reached 50% raw - the buck stopped there :lol3: the four fussies were backing off totally of all meals. It just didn't work with them. I think it is perfectly fine to switch around and try a little of this and a little of that. Then you will see who really likes what. Confusing :confused: :confuse2: YEP :lol2: Part of this whole process - CONFUSION :flail:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stinkpot hit the jackpot! :lol3:

When you're feeding such a small amount, I don't think it'd be a problem switching up. :dk: I mean - no one's gotten sick on the small bit of raw, so that's good! And maybe they'll LOVE turkey!

And I agree with Lauren - if it doesn't smell off, I'm sure it's just fine. :nod:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, the mid afternoon meal, Stinkpot didn't want any lamb while i was rolling lambballs (he did lick a lot, but didn't actually eat one), but I believe they did all eat at least one along with their food.  Darko took some coksing (I absolutely cannot think how to spell right now), he was finished and sitting up in the cat tree when I took that final bowl with all the leftovers to him and showed it to him and he went directly to the lambball and that's the only thing he ate

We're diving into the realm of turkey later this evening.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stinkpot hit the jackpot! :lol3:
:crackup: :flail: :lol3::spit:

Ok, the mid afternoon meal, Stinkpot didn't want any lamb while i was rolling lambballs (he did lick a lot, but didn't actually eat one), but I believe they did all eat at least one along with their food.  Darko took some coksing (I absolutely cannot think how to spell right now), he was finished and sitting up in the cat tree when I took that final bowl with all the leftovers to him and showed it to him and he went directly to the lambball and that's the only thing he ate:clap: .

We're diving into the realm of turkey later this evening. :cross:
:woohoo: Sally!! Way too go! Keep going my friend!! Little by little things start happening!
Are you putting the dollop on their plates too, with the kibbles, covered with WL,or their fav. treat? That works soooo well in addition to the treats! :clap::clap::clap::clap: One day they just venture into licking it! Start with a small dollop.... Then you can increase a little :wavey: :vibes:
Good job!!!
And good luck with the turkey!! :cross:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, Darko loved the turkey.  He ate that before his wet food!  I  put 2 pea sized turkey balls (covered in WL chicken powder) on everyone's plate tonight next to their food, and one under their food.  Callie ate one after foritications (FortiFlora) and Stinkpot never ate his, but he wasn't hungry...he never jumped up on my shoulder to supervisor, not did he even come to dinner....I had to go get him and carry him to his plate.   He took a couple of bites and called it quits. 

Once again Sven just got his normal food because we're just trying to get him back on eating, period. 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sally, I thought Sven liked raw? Am I wrong? I thought he was the first one to eat it? What happens if you add the treats into his plate? He runs away? If so, are you offering him outside of meal times? Once he is open to I, you can go ahead and add it or his plate again... It is a very important step.... And one that if you are persistent, doing every mean, from treats, moving to dollops.... It will work out.... It really does....
Good luck Sally, and good luck!

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh poor Sven!! Sounds like my stubborn girl who will refuse her food altogether.  I wish I could understand that kitty mentality!  Keep us posted.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh they do keep us on our toes! But WTG Darko and thank GOODNESS Sven had a good meal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep eating Sven, so mom is comfortable offering you some raw again!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sally, I thought Sven liked raw? Am I wrong? I thought he was the first one to eat it? What happens if you add the treats into his plate? He runs away? If so, are you offering him outside of meal times? Once he is open to I, you can go ahead and add it or his plate again... It is a very important step.... And one that if you are persistent, doing every mean, from treats, moving to dollops.... It will work out.... It really does....
Good luck Sally, and good luck!
Yes, Sven DOES like raw, usually.  And he likes small chunks of it.  But when he is on a downhill cycle, he will barely eat anything, and it's all we can do just to get him to lick up the liquid from the canned that has his Reglan, Miralax, Cosequin, Proviable DC, NCD and Prozyme  in it.  Luckily, though, he will still eat Temptations, so I can get his Pepcid AC into him too, by hiding one "loaded" Whiska Lickins in with a pile of Temptations. 

BUT, good news  This morning not only did Sven eat his morning meal/with meds with gusto, but he followed it up by eating TWO turkeyballs

3/13/12 a.m.

Callie:  decided to chew on a plain turkeyball while I was getting everything ready.  She gave it a good workout, but for some reason, never polished it off.  Maybe because it was on her placemat instead of her dish, she couldn't scoop it up by licking it?  Whatever, once she got her food, she ended up eating one of the turkeyballs, with assistance from FD liver

Darko:  licked at the same plain turkeyball that Callie was working on (before she had a go at it).  Then ended up eating both of his during bfast, but didn't eat them first like he did yesterday.

Stinkpot:  ate one sometime during the course of the meal

Sven:  mentioned above...ate both his as dessert

NOW, the OMG, OMG, OMG news

Sven seemed like he really wanted something about an hour ago, so I thought maybe he wanted more turkey, even though I keep some kibble out next to his bed when I'm in the office with him.  I just got a saucer and put several small dollops on it (plain) and gave it to him.  No real interest so I sprinkled some FD liver on it...still no interest.  So I took the plate to Callie.  She ate one or two, then left.  Next I took the plate to "the boys" who were both laying in the bay window watching the birds in the fountain.  Darko ate one before two big doves landed on the fountain and caught his attention.  Stinkpot cleaned the plate!  We're talking at least EIGHT dollops
.   I sure hope I don't go downstairs later and find a pile of
  ( I think they like the turkey
)

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:wow: Sally!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just great news all around :woohoo: WAY TO GO Stinkpot - WOW...... Making momma so proud and happy. And Sven!!! Wonderful day he had :D :rub: You are really making great progress, Sally!!! KEEP GOING - your doing FANTASTIC :bigthumb: I am SO happy for this update :happy3: :clap::clap::clap: