Newly Arrived!

islander

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good afternoon, from a tiny remote offshore Irish island. Good to find you all..

I live alone and am in my late 70s...well, perforce am hostess to severe M.E . Love the peace and privacy here! The great ocean is literally a small field away behind my small home. Gets very stormy out here though!

My life has been full of cats for decades. I used to breed Siamese then when I came to Ireland and realised the sheer numbers needing homes I decided to put something back. While I would sheerly love a bengal, or a savannah!! Currently five share my home, I had three until a couple of months ago ( stinkertom does not count!will tell you about him later!) and a dog. She and one of my older cats, utterly lovely girl, died of old age within a day of each other and tore my heart to shreds,
Did what I have always done. Sought more to rehome and came in with three rescued street cats, around a year old. amazing creatures and so needy
My oldest cat is 14 and weighs around 2 stone. The local cats are inbred and runty and tiny so my boy came as a shock..

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
IMG_3363.GIF
to you islander, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
graphics-welcome-090004.gif
to you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Do post photos of your kitties for us to see :camera:

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: I'm so glad you found the site and decided to join. Living on a tiny offshore island in Ireland sounds most quaint and peaceful. You have come to the right place for everything cat related and we have a special section for dogs and/or other animals here: Other Pets & Animals

We would love to see pics of some of your cats if you are able to post them. :camera:
Please feel free to check out the picture forum here: Fur Pictures and Videos Only!

I look forward to hearing some of the stories you mentioned later on, e.g. Stinkertom. :anticipation:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello and welcome to you from south Florida! :wave3:

I also send my condolences on the loss of your 2 seniors. No matter how much time we have with them, it's never enough. :hugs:

Thank you for all you do for the local strays. They are very fortunate to have a friend like you! I think you'll like it here. This is without question the best forum on the web!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

islander

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: I'm so glad you found the site and decided to join. Living on a tiny offshore island in Ireland sounds most quaint and peaceful. You have come to the right place for everything cat related and we have a special section for dogs and/or other animals here: Other Pets & Animals

We would love to see pics of some of your cats if you are able to post them. :camera:
Please feel free to check out the picture forum here: Fur Pictures and Videos Only!

I look forward to hearing some of the stories you mentioned later on, e.g. Stinkertom. :anticipation:
Ah you like stories! GREAT! I love telling them

OK< STINKERTOM!

I moved here in September 2017. Renting on low income in Ireland is a nightmare and I was fleeing a death trap of a place,

Also seeking a small island

The council had a dwelling no one was using so! Not a house, not a trailer,, what they call a demountable dwelling ie a modular. Empty five years as who would want to live on a tiny island these days!

I realised swiftly my cats and dog and i were not alone! Loud screams in the night... baleful angry cat face,,,, assualts on my cats.. I made enquiries,

Cats here are little better than vermin, and rarely neutered, They had had a purge here but one person refused to get theirs fixed, Yep Stinkertom! Before the old man here died he had lived here ... go figure! He owned the place!
There are ruinous old cowsheds , 150 years old, by my dwelling and the stench in there! powwww

i went over one day to the mainland abd left the window open... I leave the result to your imagination.. He has a stench like no others...

He gives me Medusa glares.... supp osed to be owned by an old man a half mile away but spends far too much time here,

and no I do NOT feed the brute.. From time to time a cat fight happens and I drop everything and race out... swearing helps! His and mine..

So that is Stinkertom!

islander

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thiink Stinkertom has met his match. Keep the stories coming
There is another element to this story. The Irish will fight wars over a bit of land etc. This dwelling is on a part of the land the previous resident owned. He had a nephew here on the island, but they fell out years ago and had never spoken again. Nephew was of course expecting to be left the old (by then inhabitable ) house and all the land. But when the old man died he left all to the Church here that he was in charge of. nephew is a very bitter man, . Has been very very hostile to me at one stage. (The dwelling is owned by the council and I had to get legal permission to live here) So I sometimes think Stinkertom is an enemy spy or agent! If it were anywhere else and I thought he was not owned I would not hesitate to grab him snip snip, but that would involve the ferryman and cause a war.! He would be a lovely cat if he lost the stinker part! As he is NO WAY! I know he is being fed etc although there was confusion re who owned him,..... I keep water handy to quell his ardour ...

islander

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to you from south Florida! :wave3:

I also send my condolences on the loss of your 2 seniors. No matter how much time we have with them, it's never enough. :hugs:

Thank you for all you do for the local strays. They are very fortunate to have a friend like you! I think you'll like it here. This is without question the best forum on the web!
These are not local! I imported all five! Cats are little better than vermin in deep rural Ireland as they do not make money and everyone was dirt poor. So they are not fixed and breed and breed and get more and more inbred. The two local cats I have seen are tiny, runty. Al mine are fixed now but are sturdy. I love them dearly and if stinkertom were in need...

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS! I absolutely love your stories so far! I was raised in the High Sierra of California and have inherited my father's people's deep appreciation of rugged, wild & lonely places. It is sad to hear about Stinkertom and the other local cats - it would be awesome if the world community could help get the numbers checked.