Newbie!

Abigailfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm mostly a lurker reading advice from past threads etc but the other day I decided to join and now decided to introduce myself and my pets since I don't know many massive cat lovers!
I am Abi, I'm 21 and a foster mum for my local cats protection branch (UK) I have a double cat pen in my (parents) garden so I can foster 2 cats or 2 family's at one time. I am chronically ill so unable to work and after 5 years of illness and a cancer scare I decided to do something good with the little energy I have.
I have 5 cats, I unfortunately lost 2 towards the end of last year which I'll likely explain when introducing them! And also 3 dogs. Then of course my beautiful foster cats! I prefer to foster pregnant or mum cats but the team seem to have noticed I have more time and patience to help bring shyer cats around so I've had a few of them too recently, since it's not kitten season.
Meet my babies!
Choobacca - 10 year old long hair moggie, he is so lovely and chilled out, we think be he is part ragdoll somewhere down the line! IMG_9871.JPG

Rhubarb - 6 year old Domestic Shorthair, he is a little monkey and will visit all the houses in the street if he thinks he can get food! He was unfortunately hit by a car a couple of years ago, we are do lucky that he healed from a broken pelvis so well and has had no further problems since! He likes to purposely knock things over or off the side if we don't pay him enough attention! IMG_3631.JPG

Thor (tabby), Fuze (ginger) and Zeus (black and white) are siblings. They are 3 years old and are beautiful boys Zeus is an indoor cat by choice as he is scared of pretty much anything but is a great spider catcher! Thor thinks he owns the house and can sometimes be a bully, especially around food time! Fuze is a snuggly boy, he will cuddle under my duvet with me most night!
IMG_2627.JPG

So last year I lost my little girl, Nutmeg. She passed away a couple of weeks before her 2 year gotcha day, at 2 years old. I got her from a home full of unneutered cats who were more than likely inbreeding too. She was so shy she spent 2 months hiding, when she came out of her shell she owned the place and loved us so much! She had digestive issues from a young age and never weighed more than 2kg, in the last six months of her life she was really poorly she was on chemo, steroids and B12 to keep her as healthy as possible, it worked for a while but she got weaker and thinner and eventually I made the decision to let her go, she was unhappy and didn't have much quality of life so it was the best thing for her. They think she has cancer but she was too weak/small for investigative surgery.
IMG_2914.JPG

Sprout- he was 15 years old when he passed away. He has been old for as long as I can remember! He did so well since he had a heart murmur from a kitten and never really looks very well! He was pretty grumpy but a great boy!
IMG_1348.jpg

Lucy, Django and Rolo - the doggies! Django is a 6 year old Lurcher; bedlington whippet. Lucy is a 15 year old Jack Russel and Rolo is 3 year old Jack Russell crossed chihuahua!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wecome to you and your beautiful family, including Nutmeg and Sprout, who join us in spirit! And Zeus may come to my house at any given time since Hekitty, my girl, could care less about random spiders, and I LOATHE them!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: All your fur babies are beautiful. :catlove:

Condolences on the losses of Nutmeg and Sprout. RIP sweet kitties. :angel::angel:

Also sorry you are dealing with so many health issues yourself. I hope caring for the cats will help lift your spirits, and that you have more good health days than bad. :catrub:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-421021.gif
Abi and gang, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
3EF3C69C-C57A-4A14-9DBC-3245B7ACD310.gif

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you for being able to be a foster mom to the kitties. Bless your heart.
We are so sorry to hear about Nutmeg and Sprout :alright: You may want to pay a tribute to them and we have a special thread here just for them in crossing-the-bridge.19

Also lovely canines you have there and we too have special threads just for them here in other-pets-animals.41

Hope that you are coping well and may your health improve.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome, welcome! I love the cats and dogs. All gorgeous and adorable babies you got there!

You say you are only 21 and with health issues but still you have managed to open your heart and your home to these animals. I salute you for your heart and generosity. My total respect.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Abi, a warm and hearty welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: You have one of the most handsome fur families, both cats and dogs. :bluepaw: I'm terribly sorry that you are experiencing chronic health problems but it certainly sounds as though you haven't let it hold you back from making a positive impact on the world. Your perseverance and determination as a foster mom, (mum), is commendable.
Bless your heart! :hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abigailfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your lovely replies!
Fostering is one of the best decisions I have made, it gives me so much purpose, a reason to drag myself out of bed! And doing something good at the same time. I have always been a huge animal lover but I was leaning towards more of a dog person pre illness, at 16 I had a cat for my birthday and we realised how much healthier I became with him around and his routine as a kitten, as he grew up and didn't need me as much I began to go back to how I was before, so with fostering I have a constant routine and as well as me helping them, they help me!
I look forward to getting to know you all! <3