New & need advice please!

JenJen101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 16 month old calico named Princess, that I’m desperately trying to find a boyfriend. After my 18yr old Jack Cat passed away 3yrs ago this Dec 28th, I never thought I’d be able to have another cat. Friends & family members tried getting me to rescue numerous kittens, but I just wasn’t ready.
One day while visiting my oldest dearest friend that I hadn’t seen in over a year due to Covid, she explained to me that her neighbor is stopping over to drop off a kitten my friend had adopted. Come to find out she’s now horribly allergic & needed to find Princess a home.The second the kitten was dropped off I fell in love w/her, & when my friend found out that my Jack Cat had passed away, let’s just say she was thrilled Princess was going to a fabulous forever home.
I’ve probably had 20-cats over my lifetime, but never a calico. She’s absolutely the most beautiful cat I’ve ever had, & the strangest thing about her is that she doesn’t shed! My short haired chihuahua sheds 100x’s more then her! She’s just got an amazing personality as well as her beautiful looks & I’m very interested in finding her a boyfriend so I can have kittens.
I’ve had 3-litters of kittens & all were happily adopted, & all were spayed/neutered, as were all my other cats except 2-which escaped & ended up coming home preggers. Any ideas on where or how I’d go about finding a stud for my little girl? Thanks so much!

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 16 month old calico named Princess, that I’m desperately trying to find a boyfriend. After my 18yr old Jack Cat passed away 3yrs ago this Dec 28th, I never thought I’d be able to have another cat. Friends & family members tried getting me to rescue numerous kittens, but I just wasn’t ready.
One day while visiting my oldest dearest friend that I hadn’t seen in over a year due to Covid, she explained to me that her neighbor is stopping over to drop off a kitten my friend had adopted. Come to find out she’s now horribly allergic & needed to find Princess a home.The second the kitten was dropped off I fell in love w/her, & when my friend found out that my Jack Cat had passed away, let’s just say she was thrilled Princess was going to a fabulous forever home.
I’ve probably had 20-cats over my lifetime, but never a calico. She’s absolutely the most beautiful cat I’ve ever had, & the strangest thing about her is that she doesn’t shed! My short haired chihuahua sheds 100x’s more then her! She’s just got an amazing personality as well as her beautiful looks & I’m very interested in finding her a boyfriend so I can have kittens.
I’ve had 3-litters of kittens & all were happily adopted, & all were spayed/neutered, as were all my other cats except 2-which escaped & ended up coming home preggers. Any ideas on where or how I’d go about finding a stud for my little girl? Thanks so much!
Hello J JenJen101 and Princess, and welcome to TCS! Well, to start with, congratulations on adopting beautiful Princess and may she have a safe, healthy, comfortable and Loved life with you! Your local Animal Care & Control (ACC), Humane Society, shelter, rescue, sanctuary, or "the street" are excellent places to find a little mancatto friend for Princess! (I hope you are getting Princess spayed before introducing them, as feline overpopulation means many cats never find the loving homes they need and deserve. The male needs to be neutered, as well.) Almost every one of the cats in my life have come from "the street" and are every bit as wonderful as any other cats. If you decide to look in a shelter, you'll be able to find out more about anyone you're interested in, even during these times. Almost all shelters have online presences either via their own website or on facebook. You can search "adoptable cats in (your chosen areas)" to see them either just on the web or via facebook's own search engine. animalrescuedirectory.net is another database from which you can choose your state and see listings of shelters near you and then, adoptable cats.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unless she is a registered purebred from good genetic lines and you have the papers to prove it as well a breeding rights, then breeding is a very bad idea. You'll want the female and the male to both be genetically tested to make sure they are both free of any genetic issues or at least ones that both carry (depending on the breed). Also unless you have the pedigree papers no responsible breeder will allow their male to breed with her.

If she is just a domestic cat, no specific breed then it's best to just enjoy her and not to breed her. If the only reason you want to breed her is looks and personality keep in mind there is no guarantee you will get calico kittens from her, it's possible but just as likely have solid black or orange kittens. Personality is also not something genetic so the kittens could have completely different personalities to the mother, even in the same litter each kitten is unique. There are already more then enough random domestic cats in the world, if you really want to raise kittens I suggest checking local shelters and look into fostering pregnant mothers instead, that way you aren't adding to the cat over population problem. I know you said the kittens you've had in the past were adopted out, but would even one of those people have gone to a shelter instead if you hadn't had kittens?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Amethyst is quite right J JenJen101 .. There are no guarantees with breeding, and there are so many cats that need homes.

It's important to know that TCS is a pro spay and neuter site, so this is the kind of response you will get. Sorry to burst that bubble!

But you are very welcome here. You've found an absolutely beautiful girl. I can see why you're in love. :redheartpump:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-179632.jpg.gif
JenJen101 and Princess, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
27fcc15df3fba68a2a4b868777fc711c.jpg
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

What a sweetie is Princess :redheartpump: :hearthrob: Do post more photos of her and we have a special thread ere just for her in post-pics-of-calicos-tortieshells-and-orange-cats-here.303458 and many fun threads here in fur-pictures-and-videos-only.29 to showcase what your kitty is up to.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Princess is pawsitively precious, and I'm glad you were there to give her a home when she needed one. :petcat::hearthrob:

As for your desire to have kittens, fostering a mama cat and her kittens would probably be the best route to go. You'd be helping out a shelter, plus you wouldn't be taking the chance that something could go terribly wrong with your precious Princess during pregnancy/delivery.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and to Princess! I'm afraid I have to agree with the sentiments expressed about breeding a non-pedigreed animal. It would be horrible not to be able to find purrfect homes for mixed-breed kittens. And spaying will ensure that she will never have any possibly fatal "female" infections, and lessen her chance of having mammary cancers. HOWEVER, once she is spayed, she might well appreciate a nice, neutered boyfriend! Not all couples need offspring to live very happy lives together!

We're so glad to have you here, no matter what you decide.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome😻 She is a beauty, like my Sybil was, an nfc mix. I agree do not breed her, it is not a good idea for the many reasons given. Also females who give birth can be more at risk for breast cancer. But definitely get her a companion male or female and get everyone fixed first.

Jasper'sMom2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat genetics

JenJen101 I found a site about calico cat genetics and it might be useful for you. click on the link I put above.

If you bred your calico female with a Tortie male as both breeds have white, orange and black markings. I had a calico female
once but she was spayed already and I'm not into breeding my cats. Let me know if it helps you. Also you could go and look
up videos on you tube about breeding a calico cat. Where abouts do you live? I live in Ontario, Canada but I would go to
a calico breeding and talk to them about all of this and get some research and information as they would know your cat's breed
well as they are experienced.

I hope this helps Please let know how it goes and if you need more advice just send me a message.
Meow,

Anne