New feral cat - is it Pauli or Paula. / It's Paula and we have kittens.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I sent links to articles where it is explained why two is better than one. ;)

So far haven't been able to convince anyone.
Many people have their minds made up beforehand and are not going to be convinced of anything else - having said that there are folks that have their hearts set on adopting a pair of kittens,the right one will come along... one look at that adorable pair and the person looking for 2 will just melt

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the right one will come along
Thanks, yeah, finally I found a few people willing to take two. I just finished 'interviews' with them which I did through a video call. One nice family wanted to adopt brother and sister, and one brother would go to another place with a little bit older cats. On Friday they will come and visit to actually see the cats.

It is a bit sad for Bertus and Pauli. Bertus, the special kitten, will be the last kitten left, no more play mates. And Pauli still is very active with the kittens. When they are sleeping downstairs, he comes looking for them, calling them out to play.

PXL_20231024_113106910.jpg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, yeah, finally I found a few people willing to take two. I just finished 'interviews' with them which I did through a video call. One nice family wanted to adopt brother and sister, and one brother would go to another place with a little bit older cats. On Friday they will come and visit to actually see the cats.

It is a bit sad for Bertus and Pauli. Bertus, the special kitten, will be the last kitten left, no more play mates. And Pauli still is very active with the kittens. When they are sleeping downstairs, he comes looking for them, calling them out to play.

View attachment 462194
Darling photo..
Bertus will have Pauli though- and YOU
Bittersweet,I know💗

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I recall, the kittens are not de-sexed yet, are they? Please see that all new owners intend to spay and neuter the kittens quite soon. They are old enough now. Also, let them know you’ll take them back if things do not work out.
Thanks! Yes, they are now going towards 15 weeks. The first thing new owners should do is make an appointment also to get them chipped. I will make an appointment myself for Bertus and his mother. To both get chipped and spay/neutered.

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pauli's behavior seems to be changing. She seems to block the kittens completely from nursing now, and her (c)attitude seems different. I haven't seen her like this, sleeping in different places, more noisy. It could be that she is in heat, though she has no inclination to go outside. I have also never seen Pauli before she was pregnant, so I am not aware what her normal behavior actually is. People came to check out the kittens today (of course they really liked them, and Bertus was actually stealing the show!), but Pauli just stayed upstairs, showing no interest whatsoever in the people nor in the kittens. She seems ready to move on.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Pauli's behavior seems to be changing. She seems to block the kittens completely from nursing now, and her (c)attitude seems different. I haven't seen her like this, sleeping in different places, more noisy. It could be that she is in heat, though she has no inclination to go outside. I have also never seen Pauli before she was pregnant, so I am not aware what her normal behavior actually is. People came to check out the kittens today (of course they really liked them, and Bertus was actually stealing the show!), but Pauli just stayed upstairs, showing no interest whatsoever in the people nor in the kittens. She seems ready to move on.
Shes probably starting to want her space away from the kittens,once she's done she's done---' wish it were that simple for us humans,lol when's her spay appt btw?

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Late to the party! It's been a pleasure reading through this thread. In my opinion, you have now earned the place of Number 1 Cat Dad, and no others need apply!

Good on Bertus for stealing the show! I know it may be hard to let him go, but do consider it if he really takes to someone who is willing to consider his special needs, especially if this means he can go home with one of his littermates. I hope all the kittens are able to recruit human servants as kind and loving as you. ❤

How is the rooster?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, the kittens are about 14 weeks old now, so it's time for her to be weaning them, and getting ready for a new family. I've watched this over and over with ferals. Of course, she won't be having a new family, nor will she care, but try telling that to her instincts!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, the kittens are about 14 weeks old now, so it's time for her to be weaning them, and getting ready for a new family. I've watched this over and over with ferals. Of course, she won't be having a new family, nor will she care, but try telling that to her instincts!
Exactly- Pauli is still the same wonderful sweet girl she has always been and now her job is finished and she knows thst-we can learn alot about cutting the apron strings from animals

My Mom used to say I was half "canine" lol She was very clingy and over protective Mom ( a wonderful Mom btw) but never knew when to let go....no doubt we too have instincts but our emotions often get in our own way

I'm rambling,lol but it just reminds me thst Mother Nature Knows best❤

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
when's her spay appt btw?
It's on Friday. She is a bit older (maybe 6 or 7?) and I am not aware of her medical history, so I hope all goes well with her!

but do consider it if he really takes to someone who is willing to consider his special needs, especially if this means he can go home with one of his littermates.
Thanks! Yeah, that is what I was thinking about as well. Though I will be honest and tell them what the vet told me, that there might be complications (and cost) later and it is not exactly clear if he has no other problems at the moment.

How is the rooster?
The rooster still has his routine. 🐓 :D
When I see him now (almost everyday) I go over to him to feed him, because otherwise the birds will eat his food.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
It's on Friday. She is a bit older (maybe 6 or 7?) and I am not aware of her medical history, so I hope all goes well with her!

Thanks! Yeah, that is what I was thinking about as well. Though I will be honest and tell them what the vet told me, that there might be complications (and cost) later and it is not exactly clear if he has no other problems at the moment.

The rooster still has his routine. 🐓 :D
When I see him now (almost everyday) I go over to him to feed him, because otherwise the birds will eat his food.
Oh great! I believe she'll be quiter after her spay and back to her earlier more pleasant unattitude after the kittens leave.....

I think Pauli will be a good singleton or with little Bertus as a companion if he does end up being adopted with a sibling .... it's gold you are playing it by ear and willing to let him go or be his forever Dad,whichever happens in his best interest- your such a good guy!Thank you for opening your heart and your home for Pauli and her babies -you made such a wonderful life for Pauli and a terrific start for the little ones- hats off to you Cat Daddy❤

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Though I will be honest and tell them what the vet told me, that there might be complications (and cost) later and it is not exactly clear if he has no other problems at the moment.
Exactly as you should. Honesty is the best policy and will ensure that Bertus will get all the love and support he deserves, wherever he ends up. You are a wonderful cat dad!

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope Bertus and his mom stay together, and I hope the rooster is okay after you move out.
Do you think it is better for Bertus to stay with his mother instead of with 1 or 2 littermates for example?

getting the rooster a small coop. It'll be getting colder now and he'll need somewhere to cuddle up at night.
I have been thinking about setting something up for the rooster, he now sleeps high in tree, though the leaves are slowly falling and it will not offer a lot of protection for him. He likes to walk around though, he is quite wild, it will also not be easy to actually pick him up and put him in the coop. Maybe there is some other solution for him, I will look into it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You train the rooster to go in the coop just before dusk. Use treats to lure him in. He does not need to be put in by hand. They learn very quickly to go in the coop on their own. A coop will have a nesting bar inside for the rooster to sleep on. You can look at coops on the internet.

Yes, I still think it is better for Bertus to stay with you and his mother instead of going with litter mates. But only you can make the call.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think it is better for Bertus to stay with his mother instead of with 1 or 2 littermates for example?

I have been thinking about setting something up for the rooster, he now sleeps high in tree, though the leaves are slowly falling and it will not offer a lot of protection for him. He likes to walk around though, he is quite wild, it will also not be easy to actually pick him up and put him in the coop. Maybe there is some other solution for him, I will look into it.
Are there coyotes or other predators around?I'd hate for him to be trapped in a coop,pretty safe up in a tree except from weather..... unless of course I don't know the environment..... at one of my barns many ions ago we built a tree house for the chickens & roosters after losing quite a few to predators raiding the coop- through chicken wire,then under it ,even gnawing through the wood( wolves)

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe C cat_dad_dan is in the Netherlands, so no coyotes although there will be foxes. BUT, most modern coops are pretty fox proof. You can get coops that are raised off the ground on legs and have a locking hatch that a fox can't get into. TBH, I'm more worried about the cold getting to him than foxes.