New Cat Owner And Why Did I Wait So Long!

taj1107

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
45D59EC2-48F7-4DAC-BE87-93B2664C4063.jpeg 5C536D9F-D851-4A1C-99AA-FDD2993CCFBA.jpeg Hi everyone! I’m so excited to find this page. I’m a new to the cat ownership world (or does he own me?!?) and I am head over heels. I never loved cats until I rescued a tiny, scraggly tuxedo kitty who wouldn’t leave my side one day while walking the property I work on. I, along with my 2 sons, am allergic to cats, so Ninja (I’ve attached his picture) had to be an outside cat and my husband was fine with it “to keep the mice out of the shop”. Ninja was with us for 5 months and turned me into a complete cat lover. He was beautiful. He suddenly went missing the same day that our golden doodle passed away. My heart was broken. I couldn’t believe how quickly we had fallen for him. Well a week later someone placed a tiny black furball on our porch inside Ninja’s house. He was so beautiful and needed us because his back leg was broken. Fozzy, a black smoke Maine Coon mix (according to his vet and groomer‍♀)is now the highlight of my day and he is also an inside cat. I can’t bear the thought of him going missing. My boys and I take a Claritin daily to help with the allergy. I get a lot of “looks” when I say groomer in regards to my cat but I need him to get used to regular nail filings! I have tons of questions so I’m so glad i found this page.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the club :p!

I am not sure if this is financially viable to you or covered by health insurance, but my coworker who is allergic gets some kind of vaccine every 6 months and it makes his fur allergies go away. It must be some kind of antihistamine that has a stronger life than the non prescription stuff.

Might want to look into that route and talk to your family doctor if you’re interested. I don’t know the name of the vaccine off the top of my head but someone else will probably reply with what I am talking about!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and to Fozzy! I can see why you are so smitten. One of my neighbors had excellent results with those shots! We're so happy that you found us, too. Ask away...there are several forums where you can post your questions, as well as social forums for just getting to know everyone and having fun with others who understand you kittylove!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Thats a handsome boy you've got there. :)

I used to be allergic too, but approximately 6-8 wks in, I was ok, & getting better. As long as its not a severe allergy, most people are ok in a matter of weeks. I guess the best way to describe it, is the same way homeopathic remedies work with "like treats like" . Theres more too it, but thats the jest of it.
Hopefully that will be the case for you guys, because, yes indoor only is the safest for your kitty.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
071EB459-F3B8-4DF1-9993-645E801EBC2E.gif
taj1107, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
Welcome-Cat-Flowers-Animated-welcome_127.gif
to you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What gorgeous cats! :loveeyes: I have the biggest soft spot for tuxies. I'm so sorry Ninja went missing, but I am happy that you have been able to rescue Fozzy! I wish you many happy days with him and its a great idea to keep him safe inside with your loving family. Welcome!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome, welcome!

I am sad about Ninja. He is such a beautiful cat. I hope he comes home again, or he is just in some home safe and sound. I have always wanted a Tuxedo cat. I see them as mysterious, mythical beings.

I am asthmatic since a child and also did not stop me from having pets (dogs, cats, birds, ducks etc). SO I am glad that you also find a way for your allergies. :)

Hello there, Fozzy cutie. You are one adorable nugget. Happy to see you here. Stay inside, ya' hear? You are safer being an inside cat only. Hugs from my Bourbon, Barley and Pepsi. :)