Does Anyone Here Have Cats And Allergies?

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm going to adopt a cat soon, and I'm super excited. We went and looked at the shelter cats today and it was fun, but we just didn't find the perfect one.
One problem: I'm allergic to cats. Have been for a long time. I just love them so much.
While at the shelter, my nose began to get itchy and my throat got a bit sore. After I left, my eyes began to water and now my nose is running. Of course, that was a ton of cats. Usually my nose just runs and my face gets itchy if I touch it, and my eyes get itchy/watery and swell up if I touch them even slightly. No athsma type issues, although sometimes I'll sound a little wheezy when I breathe in deeply, but I've never felt like I'm suffocating or anything scary like that. Don't know where I fit in the allergy severity spectrum?
Anyway, I really really really want to make this work, and I guess I'd just like some tips and/or encouragement that it'll be okay. So, has anyone else successfully dealt with their allergies to cats?

Oh, and I have looked at hypoallergenic breeds and I love the Siberian, but my parents don't love longhair and we really want to rescue an adult cat. And none of the other recommended breeds had significantly lower Fel D1 levels so I'm not sure I really believe they're any better than your average cat. The Siberian really seems to be the only real option.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father was allergic to cats and we had cats growing up. We even named two cats Histamine and Allergen (Hissy and Ally for short). He got allergy shots, had an inhaler, and sometimes took allergy medication. Mostly, he found that over time his allergies to the specific cats in our home lessened even without medication. When he was around other cats though, he would have more of a negative reaction.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a close Friend who was extremely allergic to cats, but who simply had to have one. She sought out an allergist who started her on "cat shots" (immunotherapy injections) and while it took some time (several months, in fact) for her symptoms to dissipate, she's now positively overrun with the furry little monsters, and is virtually symptom-free.

Allergy Shots for Allergic Rhinitis

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Me! Me!

I did 5 years of allergy shots. I take two different allergy medications and another for asthma everyday so that I can breath around my guys. There are a lot of little things you can do and some great resources.... but I am doing a fly by of the site right now so I can't go into it much. Send me a PM if you want more but I will try to remember to come back to this thread when I have more time too.

For now, here is a link to a site article about living with cat allergies. Living With Cat Allergy

HippoDisco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am, or was allergic to cats. The reaction used to be so strong that I could be in the same room as one for less than five minutes and start sneezing. This was the case with my dad's previous kitty and my MIL's cats whenever we visited - both are obsessively clean people also so it's not like the places were ever crawling with loose fur/dander.

We now have two of our own and I have been living with them almost a year. They are both indoor. Within months of having them my allergies seemingly faded. They don't make me sneeze and I do not need to be obsessively washing my hands straight after touching them. I am genuinely almost reaction free and also no problems at my MIL's or my dad's present kitty anymore. I don't know what's happened, but I can only assume I have built up a tolerance - rabbits on the otherhand (we have one of those, two!) still have me sneezing, itching and coming out in rashes unbearably and I grew up with them, so who knows how it works.

I personally noticed that I had stronger reactions to cats that spent more time outdoors, as well as kittens. I guess this is likely to be down to how much they groom.

You definitely need to weigh up how bad your allergies are and if you can see yourself living with them long-term - there's always a chance of building immunity and using antihistamines :)

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am allergic to cats and have had an indoor cat for 9 years. I take a daily allergy medication and wash my hands after touching her. She is not allowed in my bedroom so that I have my personal allergen-free space. It hasn't been a problem here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, guys!
My mom got allergy injections for a while and I know they got rid of her cat allergy (that she didn't even know she had, so it obviously wasn't very severe, but still). I would love to try them but they're very expensive and my family doesn't seem keen on the idea. Also, my mom did many years of it and they didn't get rid of her worst allergies so I don't know if they would be willing to try them on me as they might not work.
I'm interested in the idea of taking two different allergy medications. I have a nasal spray that generally works well (which I didn't take this morning, hence the bad reaction to the shelter), and when I came back from the shelter I used it. Just an hour ago I was still struggling so I took some Zyrtec and now I'm feeling a lot more clear. So maybe the combination of those two things will work for when I own a cat.
I'll definitely have to learn to wash my hands frequently; that's a good tip. Luckily our vacuum also has a HEPA filter already due to my mom's dust allergies, so that'll help.

HippoDisco HippoDisco I sure hope I can build immunity like that! You're very lucky, lol. Gives me some hope though! Funny that you had greater allergies toward kittens—I'd always heard kittens carry less allergens!

Kieka Kieka I'd love to hear what you do for your allergies! I'll wait for you to reply here sand if you don't I'll send you a PM.

I'm pretty darn determined not to give up on my cat unless I'm literally unable to breathe, lol. So I'm willing to do whatever it takes to manage my allergies! I'm reluctant to lock my cat out of my bedroom, though.. it's like, he's my cat and I want to be able to snuggle with him at night, you know? Maybe I can just clean my room like practically every day instead? Lol. I've also seen some allergy reducing sprays you can put on a cloth and wipe your cat with; any thoughts on those?

Last edited:

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Wash the cat weekly. Vacuum a lot. If your cat likes to share your pillow, change the cases daily. Keep Sudafed on hand for when the sinus headache kicks in. Things like Allegra are also good. Try allergy shots but don't let the doctor bully you into them (the shots made me sicker than the allergens).

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was fine when my sister had 3 cats but the 4th one put me over and I had allergies. I ended up moving in with her and was okay without any medication after I moved in and my body adjusted. I think I had a runny nose and felt tired abc probably should have taken allergy medication.

My sister is allergic and takes allergy medication daily.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Okay, now that I have a little time...

I take a zyrtec and nasal spray, 1 pump per, every morning (plus the breathing disk inhaler but I have asthma too) at the same time to keep the medications level in my system. On days when my allergies are being a little more stubborn, or I know that I will be having a harder day because of whatever, I will do two sprays. Keep in mind though that I have a ton of environmental allergies so a bad day could be high pollen count or a housecleaning day. Either two sprays in the morning, a second spray in the evening if I feel it harder, or right before I know I will be coming in contact with extra allergens. With my cats specifically the hardest time was the first 12 months while my body adjusted to them but now I can hug and pet them with minimal reactions, assuming I am current on my meds.

I did allergy shots for 5 years. That was probably 7 years ago now. While I did notice a reduction in the severity of my symptoms I still do react to everything I reacted to before. There also has been in change in how I react with more hives but less breathing problems. Since it is much easier to deal with itchy skin over inability to breath I am okay with it. My current doctor has recommended a second course of shots. They are a huge time and financial commitment. The first few months you have to go to the office 2-3 times per week and sit there for 1-2 hours after your shot to ensure you don't have a major reaction. Plus paying the co-pay ($15 for me) each time. Over time it does become easier, I think when I did it after 6 months it was once a week, then once every other week, once every month, every other month, every three months, every six months, and done.

Around the house, cleanliness and simplicity are key. We got rid of cloth curtains and replaced them with blinds so that they don't collect the dust as easily. Beds are always made to prevent cat fur from settling on sheets and bedding is completely cleaned on a regular basis. Our whole house is hardwood with a few area carpets. Allergens will settle into the carpet so you need to vacuum on a regular basis if you have it. We have a leather couch because it doesn't gather allergens as much as cloth couches do; plus it is so nice to be able to just wipe it down if something is spilled. Throw pillows are washed weekly so all ours are ones that can be washed regularly without damaging them. When visiting other people talking around the dining room table is the safest option. If there is a specific spot the cat likes then it gets a blanket thrown over it, that way when the human wants to sit there you can just move the blanket without worrying about the allergens.

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the info! This is really helpful. I'll try to do all of that. Luckily, our new house is almost all hardwood floors and though we have fabric couches in another room (on the other side of the house, lol), we only ever use our leather couches. My mom is terrified of the cat scratching them but that's another story. I have a rug in my room which I'll be sure to clean very regularly.
I think I've got it mostly figured out... should probably go ahead and ask my parents about getting a HEPA air filter for my room. Wonder what they'll say.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Luckily, our new house is almost all hardwood floors and though we have fabric couches in another room (on the other side of the house, lol), we only ever use our leather couches. My mom is terrified of the cat scratching them but that's another story.
Our leather couch has all sorts of little tiny nicks from the cats. Mostly because I am a horrible human and tend to use it in play time. Making them chase wand toys up, down and around it. :running:I think that if I didn't do that the nicks on it wouldn't be any worse than normal wear and tear. We keep a scratching post at each corner to prevent clawing the corners. Most of the nicks are more feel than see ones.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I grew up with cats at home, and was totally fine when we had them. However, I became allergic to them as soon as we stopped having them inthe house. It lasted for years. I had bad itchy eyes, runny nose and asthma like wheezing and coughing whenever I got in contact with a cat. My mom adopted a cat last year, and I went to spend a month with her in the summer. I was a tad worried, but brought regular antihistamine (benedryl type) as well ss a nose spray. I started taking them everyday, but realize after a while that I didn't really need them all the time. I did however have to make sure that I washed my hands before touching my eyes after petting the cat. I did so well that I decided to adopt my own cat. In order to prepare, and avoid having to bring him bad in case my allergies were bad, I got a HEPA vacuum and use it once a week, an air purifier that I ran while I was gone for work during the day, and made sure to change my bed sheet once a week (Huxley has free access to my bedroom). The good thing is I quickly realized that I didn't need all of this anymore and am now mostly symptom free. The only time I struggled was during the Spring and my allergy symptoms randomly came back (sneezing and runny nose) in the morning only (he sleeps in the bed with me). I just started hsing meds again, and made sure to be consistent with bed linen changing and vacuuming and now it's all gone again.
Good luck! It's all worth it!!

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our leather couch has all sorts of little tiny nicks from the cats. Mostly because I am a horrible human and tend to use it in play time. Making them chase wand toys up, down and around it. :running:I think that if I didn't do that the nicks on it wouldn't be any worse than normal wear and tear. We keep a scratching post at each corner to prevent clawing the corners. Most of the nicks are more feel than see ones.
Thanks so much for that info! So the couch has some hope (and so do I; maybe I can avoid dealing with my mom's wrath LOL). So I've made a triangular cardboard scratching post that I was planning on keeping in my room, but I assume I'd need another post for the lounge then. Any advice on any certain brand or type? My parents seem to be convinced that a cat doesn't really need scratching posts if he's let outside, but that's not entirely true, is it? Anyway, I'm getting off-topic now.. I suppose I should make a new thread about that.

I grew up with cats at home, and was totally fine when we had them. However, I became allergic to them as soon as we stopped having them inthe house. It lasted for years. I had bad itchy eyes, runny nose and asthma like wheezing and coughing whenever I got in contact with a cat. My mom adopted a cat last year, and I went to spend a month with her in the summer. I was a tad worried, but brought regular antihistamine (benedryl type) as well ss a nose spray. I started taking them everyday, but realize after a while that I didn't really need them all the time. I did however have to make sure that I washed my hands before touching my eyes after petting the cat. I did so well that I decided to adopt my own cat. In order to prepare, and avoid having to bring him bad in case my allergies were bad, I got a HEPA vacuum and use it once a week, an air purifier that I ran while I was gone for work during the day, and made sure to change my bed sheet once a week (Huxley has free access to my bedroom). The good thing is I quickly realized that I didn't need all of this anymore and am now mostly symptom free. The only time I struggled was during the Spring and my allergy symptoms randomly came back (sneezing and runny nose) in the morning only (he sleeps in the bed with me). I just started hsing meds again, and made sure to be consistent with bed linen changing and vacuuming and now it's all gone again.
Good luck! It's all worth it!!
Thanks for the tips! It seems that a lot of people's allergues tend to fade a lot with continual exposure. I hope that's the case with me! But in the meantime I'll try to do what you guys have suggested :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks so much for that info! So the couch has some hope (and so do I; maybe I can avoid dealing with my mom's wrath LOL). So I've made a triangular cardboard scratching post that I was planning on keeping in my room, but I assume I'd need another post for the lounge then. Any advice on any certain brand or type? My parents seem to be convinced that a cat doesn't really need scratching posts if he's let outside, but that's not entirely true, is it? Anyway, I'm getting off-topic now.. I suppose I should make a new thread about that.
We have just a freestanding post from a yard sale, just tall enough for a good stretch on my smallest cat. My guys love scratching logs and wood outside but they do tend to go for the couch in the house. I think it is a scent anchor/security thing to mark the house as theirs more than an actual physical need. My boy also will do it to get attention if we dare to ignore him entering the room, rolling cutely, or go more than 5 minutes without talking to him. Little bugger. They also scratch at the carpets and the dining room chairs; but we replace the area carpets every other year so it never really shows and the dining room chairs get recovered few years (my Mom likes to change up the look of the room by changing the color scheme of the chairs, place mats and little decorations every few years).

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright, and you! That makes sense; I was kind of thinking it was a territorial thing.

Edit: Just remembered something I was going to say! My grandparents used to show and breed Birman cats, and my grandmother is allergic to cats. They used to wash the cats every week. Would this be necessary to do? I should probably email them or something and ask them what they did to keep down allergens (And get some photos of their cats because I only have vague memories from when I was seven of me visiting and them having kittens all over the house, and when I was 13 I saw the remaining cat but I assume she didn't like kids because she was very aloof, lol).

Last edited:

caileexkitty

Just Kitten Around
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm allergic to cats, always have been, but I just had to have one once i moved out on my own. My allergy symptoms vary with every cat i meet. Usually it starts with sneezing, along with itchy/watery eyes. Then my throat starts to itch, along with my whole body, and in severe cases my eyes swell shut. When I got my kitter, I was definitely allergic to her. Usually kittens aren't so bad, but as they start to grow and shed that's when my problems start. I got a free kitten from a Facebook friend, they didn't know what the dad was but assured me the mom didn't shed that bad, but my Kit still sheds a good deal when i pet her. Kit is about to turn 1, and as I'm still slightly allergic to her - itchy, watery eyes on occasion and sneezing - my body just got used to her over time. I take Zyrtec D and it helps tremendously. I recommend just taking your regular allergy medication daily & just give it some time & your body will adjust. :lovecat:

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for telling me your experience! Your reactions seem rather similar to mine. Sounds like I'll definitely be able to manage having a cat, and hopefully over time my reactions will lessen as well :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a blanket that covers my bed during the day. I take it off at night so that my sheets and top blanket are not completely covered. My cats aren't allowed above the armpit on the bed and they seem to have no problem with the boundary.

I don't have curtains or carpet in my room because they trap allergens. If you have those you would want to clean them regularly. I do use the allergy cloths on my leather furniture to wipe them down when I notice problems. I am hesitant to use any sort of chemical on the cats directly but just brushing them helps reduce fuzz.