Need An Opinion Please!

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No there was no thunderstorm while I was gone from home. And no my grandparents didn't mention anything scaring my cat. The day I came home (Thursday evening) she seemed to be okay. But I think during that same night (Thursday night) something must've spooked/scared her very badly, and she's been withdrawn ever since then. =/ Well she does eat her wet food, and use the litter box, but she won't use the litter box either when no one is in my bedroom (where the litter box is located) or if I place the litter box out in the hallway for her to use. However, she seems to be slowly warming up to me again. Like if I put my finger near her face she normally won't react to it and turn her head away from my finger; almost like she's afraid of me or something. :( And she'll walk very slowly/carefully to where she's going. (e.g. litter box, wet food in the kitchen, etc etc.) She won't even come to get treats when I shake the Temptations bag like she usually has before. It's like she's terrified of me. It's very concerning, very frustrating, and very upsetting to know my cat has suddenly turned against me. :( :( :(
How are things going?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kittensx4 kittensx4 M maggiedemi @foxxycat @danteshuman @arouetta
Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to everyone's comments on this thread. I was out of town again to take care of my mom (she has cancer) in the hospital on the other side of the island (I live in Newfoundland, Canada), and just got back today. I was gone since last Wednesday by the way. So I got back home and she seemed to be doing a bit better. I went out in the kitchen and she was meowing for food, and even rubbing her face into my hand like her old affectionate self, you know what I mean? She ate some of her wet food and went to lay down on the couch in her usual spot.

At first she wouldn't come onto my lap like she did in the past, so I picked her up and she laid down on my lap and started purring for a bit. Then she got off and went back to her spot. Then it seemed like she started becoming afraid of me once again. She was hiding under the coffee table, or the chair by the living room window, and when I'd put my fingers near her face to see if she'd rub against them she was turning her face away from my fingers; almost like she doesn't want to be around me anymore. It's worrying me a lot. :(

After she was done eating her wet food earlier, I waited about 30 minutes, and went to put what was left on the plate back into the can with the rest of the wet food. As soon as she heard me attempting to put the wet food back into its can, she was out in the kitchen, meowing for some food. Well I started putting some on the plate and was gonna put it on the floor, but then it quickly walked away like it was afraid of me. She was sitting at the doorway of the kitchen and even though I placed it on the floor, she wouldn't even budge. She'd attempt to move towards it, but it's like she won't eat when I'm there anymore EVEN THOUGH she had absolutely ZERO issues when I put wet food down earlier the first time.

So she went away from the kitchen and even though I placed the plate of wet food down on the kitchen floor, she still wouldn't go to the plate. In fact, when she saw me move towards her she started quickly moving towards under the coffee table in the living room. I placed the plate near her on the living room floor, she wouldn't eat it. I had to back up a few steps for her to even smell it before she started eating it again. =/ My grandparents even told me that she sleeps in on their bed at night, but when I put her in my room, and on her favorite cushion, she just slowly (and I mean SLOWLY) moves towards my bedroom door and hides under the chair near the living room window. Any idea why she's suddenly distant towards me? I'm at a loss for words, to be honest with you guys. :( :( :(

Update: This is kinda weird... about 20-25 minutes ago she jumped down from the chair near the front porch door, sprawled out on the hallway floor, and was right affectionate with me. That lasted maybe about 5-10 minutes, and then she went back to be withdrawn and afraid of me. =/ And if that wasn't weird enough... she was slowly walking towards my door (probably to use the litter box), and as soon as I looked at her she immediately walked away from my bedroom door. Seriously, guys... it's like she's actually frightened of me and I honestly don't know why. Then she came back in about 20 minutes later and used the litter box, but I didn't look at her in case she ran away again.

@foxxycat I'll call the vet on Friday and see about booking an appointment to get her checked out. As far as I know my grandparents didn't do anything that would spook her. They do the same things just about every day, so there wasn't anything out of the ordinary that would spook her, unless the cat seen/heard something that spooked her? I don't know. And I'm pretty well sure that there's no sort of animal abuse going on in my house.

kittensx4 kittensx4 To me, it feels hurtful that she's suddenly behaving like this towards me though. :( I miss the old Tammy where she'd be incredibly affectionate with me, jump up on my lap and cuddle, lay down on either right in front of my computer monitor or dresser near where I sit at the computer, and I just miss everything, that's all. I'm sorry for being emotional, but I'm not sure what to do anymore, honestly. It's stressful, upsetting, depressing, and frustrating, know what I mean? :(

M maggiedemi As far as I can tell she's eating her new dry food. I posted a link in another thread that I created a while back, but I can post the link again here if you want. (https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/actr1um-holistic-adult-cat-food-7kg/1455222100276)
And here's the ingredients listed: Chicken meal, brown rice, dehulled barley, rye, chicken fat (stabilized mixed tocopherols), chicken, millet, oat meal, natural flavour, tomatoes, whole dried egg, salmon meal, salmon oil, cranberries, alfalfa, spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoes, apple, blueberries, pears, bananas, phosphoric acid, brewers yeast, dl-methionine, taurine, calcium sulphate, salt, inulin, vitamins and minerals (Vitamin E, Vitamin C, niacin, inositol, Vitamin A, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin k, beta-carotene, Vitamin D3, folic acid, biotin, Vitamin B12, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), yucca schidigera, cinnamon, turmeric, capsicum, chamomile, dandelion, paprika, garlic, rosemary extract.

@arouetta I'm pretty sure even if it was something accidental, my grandparents would tell me straight up because they love Tammy a lot.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kittensx4 kittensx4 M maggiedemi @foxxycat @danteshuman @arouetta
Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to everyone's comments on this thread. I was out of town again to take care of my mom (she has cancer) in the hospital on the other side of the island (I live in Newfoundland, Canada), and just got back today. I was gone since last Wednesday by the way. So I got back home and she seemed to be doing a bit better. I went out in the kitchen and she was meowing for food, and even rubbing her face into my hand like her old affectionate self, you know what I mean? She ate some of her wet food and went to lay down on the couch in her usual spot.

At first she wouldn't come onto my lap like she did in the past, so I picked her up and she laid down on my lap and started purring for a bit. Then she got off and went back to her spot. Then it seemed like she started becoming afraid of me once again. She was hiding under the coffee table, or the chair by the living room window, and when I'd put my fingers near her face to see if she'd rub against them she was turning her face away from my fingers; almost like she doesn't want to be around me anymore. It's worrying me a lot. :(

After she was done eating her wet food earlier, I waited about 30 minutes, and went to put what was left on the plate back into the can with the rest of the wet food. As soon as she heard me attempting to put the wet food back into its can, she was out in the kitchen, meowing for some food. Well I started putting some on the plate and was gonna put it on the floor, but then it quickly walked away like it was afraid of me. She was sitting at the doorway of the kitchen and even though I placed it on the floor, she wouldn't even budge. She'd attempt to move towards it, but it's like she won't eat when I'm there anymore EVEN THOUGH she had absolutely ZERO issues when I put wet food down earlier the first time.

So she went away from the kitchen and even though I placed the plate of wet food down on the kitchen floor, she still wouldn't go to the plate. In fact, when she saw me move towards her she started quickly moving towards under the coffee table in the living room. I placed the plate near her on the living room floor, she wouldn't eat it. I had to back up a few steps for her to even smell it before she started eating it again. =/ My grandparents even told me that she sleeps in on their bed at night, but when I put her in my room, and on her favorite cushion, she just slowly (and I mean SLOWLY) moves towards my bedroom door and hides under the chair near the living room window. Any idea why she's suddenly distant towards me? I'm at a loss for words, to be honest with you guys. :( :( :(

Update: This is kinda weird... about 20-25 minutes ago she jumped down from the chair near the front porch door, sprawled out on the hallway floor, and was right affectionate with me. That lasted maybe about 5-10 minutes, and then she went back to be withdrawn and afraid of me. =/ And if that wasn't weird enough... she was slowly walking towards my door (probably to use the litter box), and as soon as I looked at her she immediately walked away from my bedroom door. Seriously, guys... it's like she's actually frightened of me and I honestly don't know why. Then she came back in about 20 minutes later and used the litter box, but I didn't look at her in case she ran away again.

@foxxycat I'll call the vet on Friday and see about booking an appointment to get her checked out. As far as I know my grandparents didn't do anything that would spook her. They do the same things just about every day, so there wasn't anything out of the ordinary that would spook her, unless the cat seen/heard something that spooked her? I don't know. And I'm pretty well sure that there's no sort of animal abuse going on in my house.

kittensx4 kittensx4 To me, it feels hurtful that she's suddenly behaving like this towards me though. :( I miss the old Tammy where she'd be incredibly affectionate with me, jump up on my lap and cuddle, lay down on either right in front of my computer monitor or dresser near where I sit at the computer, and I just miss everything, that's all. I'm sorry for being emotional, but I'm not sure what to do anymore, honestly. It's stressful, upsetting, depressing, and frustrating, know what I mean? :(

M maggiedemi As far as I can tell she's eating her new dry food. I posted a link in another thread that I created a while back, but I can post the link again here if you want. (https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/actr1um-holistic-adult-cat-food-7kg/1455222100276)
And here's the ingredients listed: Chicken meal, brown rice, dehulled barley, rye, chicken fat (stabilized mixed tocopherols), chicken, millet, oat meal, natural flavour, tomatoes, whole dried egg, salmon meal, salmon oil, cranberries, alfalfa, spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoes, apple, blueberries, pears, bananas, phosphoric acid, brewers yeast, dl-methionine, taurine, calcium sulphate, salt, inulin, vitamins and minerals (Vitamin E, Vitamin C, niacin, inositol, Vitamin A, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin k, beta-carotene, Vitamin D3, folic acid, biotin, Vitamin B12, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), yucca schidigera, cinnamon, turmeric, capsicum, chamomile, dandelion, paprika, garlic, rosemary extract.

@arouetta I'm pretty sure even if it was something accidental, my grandparents would tell me straight up because they love Tammy a lot.
First off, I am very sorry to hear about your mom. Very sorry. As for Tammy, you haven't had her very long and had to leave her twice for extended periods so she may just be feeling unsure about things. Coming from a shelter who knows really what her life was like before. So just keep loving her and I bet she will come around. Cats are very much creatures of habit, so your leaving may have confused her. I am however glad to know you are calling the vet to get her checked out. I think it's wise to rule out anything medical. Its wonderful that she seems to be eating and using her box. And it's ok to be emotional. It shows how much you love her. :itslove:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try feeding her just wet food for a day and see if it improves. Some of those ingredients in her dry food sound not so good- garlic is supposed to be bad for cats and isn't capsicum a hot pepper? It's also got fish in it. Maybe she is sensitive to one of the ingredients.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try feeding her just wet food for a day and see if it improves. Some of those ingredients in her dry food sound not so good- garlic is supposed to be bad for cats and isn't capsicum a hot pepper? It's also got fish in it. Maybe she is sensitive to one of the ingredients.
She's on 3 scheduled wet food meals per day right now. I leaves out a bit of dry food for her to nibble on after supper and before bedtime. I didn't realize that garlic is bad for cats. And I can't help it if it has fish in it because her old food (Purina Friskies 7 dry food) also had fish, and I did as much research as I could on the available types of dry food that are readily available at my local Wal-Mart.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First off, I am very sorry to hear about your mom. Very sorry. As for Tammy, you haven't had her very long and had to leave her twice for extended periods so she may just be feeling unsure about things. Coming from a shelter who knows really what her life was like before. So just keep loving her and I bet she will come around. Cats are very much creatures of habit, so your leaving may have confused her. I am however glad to know you are calling the vet to get her checked out. I think it's wise to rule out anything medical. Its wonderful that she seems to be eating and using her box. And it's ok to be emotional. It shows how much you love her. :itslove:
Thanks for your kind words. I really do appreciate that. Maybe you're right; maybe me leaving for extended periods of time (twice recently) caused her confusion, but it's very concerning to me how she can switch back and fourth between being somewhat affectionate (like I said in my post today) to being withdrawn/afraid of me. =/

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you are doing your best. I just thought maybe you could stop the dry food for one day and see if that is affecting her. It's worth a try. I tried a dry food that my cat really hated and he ignored me for the entire day until I gave him something else.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Garlic is pretty low on the ingredient list so I don't know how worried I would be. Also, dry isn't all Tammy eats, sounds like she has a good amount of wet too. Capsicum is a bell pepper, not a hot pepper :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess one kind of capsicum is a bell pepper, and one is a hot chili pepper. Hopefully it's the bell pepper!

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know you are doing your best. I just thought maybe you could stop the dry food for one day and see if that is affecting her. It's worth a try. I tried a dry food that my cat really hated and he ignored me for the entire day until I gave him something else.
Well she hasn't touched her dry food at all today so I doubt that's the case with Tammy, in my opinion. =/ If we go by your logic then Tammy shouldn't hate me if she hasn't touched her dry food all day. She's been eating her wet food though, so I guess that's the only positive today. :(

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess one kind of capsicum is a bell pepper, and one is a hot chili pepper. Hopefully it's the bell pepper!
Well I just looked up online about "capsicum", and there's nothing related to any sort of hot peppers.

nvm. there's a chilli variety, and i can't delete my other message.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Garlic is pretty low on the ingredient list so I don't know how worried I would be. Also, dry isn't all Tammy eats, sounds like she has a good amount of wet too. Capsicum is a bell pepper, not a hot pepper :)
Yeah I always make sure she has enough wet food to get her through the day.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I just looked up online about "capsicum", and there's nothing related to any sort of hot peppers.

nvm. there's a chilli variety, and i can't delete my other message.
I would highly suspect they use the bell pepper capsicum.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your kind words. I really do appreciate that. Maybe you're right; maybe me leaving for extended periods of time (twice recently) caused her confusion, but it's very concerning to me how she can switch back and fourth between being somewhat affectionate (like I said in my post today) to being withdrawn/afraid of me. =/
Like I said, they just really like routine and I really think she will settle back in. Just keep being patient and loving. :)