Need An Opinion Please!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
She's on 3 scheduled wet food meals per day right now. I leaves out a bit of dry food for her to nibble on after supper and before bedtime. I didn't realize that garlic is bad for cats. And I can't help it if it has fish in it because her old food (Purina Friskies 7 dry food) also had fish, and I did as much research as I could on the available types of dry food that are readily available at my local Wal-Mart.
:hellocomputer:You are a great parent to her, just be patient and give her all the love and attention she will allow, don't try and force her. Our Gypsy is doing great on Purina One hairball formula dry and Fancy Feast gravy lovers wet food. We leave some dry out all the time (she doesn't overeat) and feed a 3oz can of wet food a spoonful at a time spaced out during the day. (It's very hot here and we don't want to take the chance of it spoiling) She also has two bowls of fresh water available at all times. Hang in there, we are on your side.
Can you post some pics of her here for us?:please:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any news on Tammy?
Sorry I've been having a rough week, so I didn't have time to give updates on Tammy.

Tammy completes ignores me, even when I'm doing that "psss psss psss" sound you make when getting a cat's attention. Sometimes if I even look at my cat while she's wanting to get into my room to use the litter box she will freeze, look at me, and turn the other way.

She also doesn't sleep in my room anymore. She has gotten into the habit of sleeping in my grandparents' room. So I leave my bedroom door open a bit just in case Tammy needs to use the litter box, and she will not come in while I'm awake. How do I know this? Well when I wake up there's signs that Tammy had used the litter box.

Now she sometimes warms up to me from one to time, even sometimes following me into the kitchen for food. And sometimes when I put my hand close to her face she may nuzzle into it, but most times she will turn her head away from my hand like she's afraid of me.

She doesn't seem to love me like before, and favours my grandparents more than me. She'll even jump up onto my grandmother's chest or onto my grandfather's lap. She won't do that with me anymore. She has done that at least 2 times since getting back from the hospital Wednesday past, but hasn't since.

She eats her wet food at least 3 times a day, drinks her water when needed, nibbles on her dry food, and does come into my room to use the litter box IF I don't stare at her as she's coming into my room. So everything in that regard is normal, except nothing's normal about Tammy walking on eggshells around me.

I did say she shows a minimal amount of affection towards me ever since something she seen or heard "spooked" her, but it's rare. It's almost as if her personality now switches back and fourth from being a little affectionate to being scared of me.

I'm at a loss on what to do anymore with Tammy. It's to the point now that I want to return her to the shelter I adopted her from. I've been showing her love, affection, and even being patient by giving her plenty of space. I don't know what to do anymore. Is it possible that a person can turn their pet against their owner

UPDATE!!!
Earlier today before I went on my walk, Tammy was being so affectionate towards me. I sat down on the floor with my legs out straight, and she just climbed onto my lap and was purring while nuzzling into my fingers/hands like she used to do before she got "spooked" by whatever she saw/seen. Then she went away and returned to her usual spooked self and afraid of me/withdrawn. I've uploaded 2 videos to her photo/video album on Facebook. (The link is in my signature on here by the way.) And maybe you could give me some feedback on what you think of her behavior? (It's the last 2 videos in the album by the way.) Keep in mind that the 2 videos didn't capture ALL of her unusual behaviors that I've mentioned previously to you guys before. Thanks!

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I've been having a rough week, so I didn't have time to give updates on Tammy.

Tammy completes ignores me, even when I'm doing that "psss psss psss" sound you make when getting a cat's attention. Sometimes if I even look at my cat while she's wanting to get into my room to use the litter box she will freeze, look at me, and turn the other way.

She also doesn't sleep in my room anymore. She has gotten into the habit of sleeping in my grandparents' room. So I leave my bedroom door open a bit just in case Tammy needs to use the litter box, and she will not come in while I'm awake. How do I know this? Well when I wake up there's signs that Tammy had used the litter box.

Now she sometimes warms up to me from one to time, even sometimes following me into the kitchen for food. And sometimes when I put my hand close to her face she may nuzzle into it, but most times she will turn her head away from my hand like she's afraid of me.

She doesn't seem to love me like before, and favours my grandparents more than me. She'll even jump up onto my grandmother's chest or onto my grandfather's lap. She won't do that with me anymore. She has done that at least 2 times since getting back from the hospital Wednesday past, but hasn't since.

She eats her wet food at least 3 times a day, drinks her water when needed, nibbles on her dry food, and does come into my room to use the litter box IF I don't stare at her as she's coming into my room. So everything in that regard is normal, except nothing's normal about Tammy walking on eggshells around me.

I did say she shows a minimal amount of affection towards me ever since something she seen or heard "spooked" her, but it's rare. It's almost as if her personality now switches back and fourth from being a little affectionate to being scared of me.

I'm at a loss on what to do anymore with Tammy. It's to the point now that I want to return her to the shelter I adopted her from. I've been showing her love, affection, and even being patient by giving her plenty of space. I don't know what to do anymore. Is it possible that a person can turn their pet against their owner

UPDATE!!!
Earlier today before I went on my walk, Tammy was being so affectionate towards me. I sat down on the floor with my legs out straight, and she just climbed onto my lap and was purring while nuzzling into my fingers/hands like she used to do before she got "spooked" by whatever she saw/seen. Then she went away and returned to her usual spooked self and afraid of me/withdrawn. I've uploaded 2 videos to her photo/video album on Facebook. (The link is in my signature on here by the way.) And maybe you could give me some feedback on what you think of her behavior? (It's the last 2 videos in the album by the way.) Keep in mind that the 2 videos didn't capture ALL of her unusual behaviors that I've mentioned previously to you guys before. Thanks!
Gypsy ignores us when we are attempting to get her attention but then when we ignore her she appears. Since Tammy is showing at least some affection towards you PLEASE do not punish the poor dear for acting scared by sending her back to the shelter! If your grandparents return the affection she shows them, then let her be their cat and if she doesn't completely warm up to you, maybe consider getting another kitty for you..

Last edited:

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gypsy ignores us when we are attempting to get her attention but then when we ignore her she appears. Since Tammy is showing at least some affection towards you PLEASE do not punish the poor dear for acting scared by sending her back to the shelter! If your grandparents return the affection she shows them, then let her be their cat and if she doesn't completely warm up to you, maybe consider getting another kitty for you..
UPDATE: kittensx4 kittensx4 dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 She was laying on the couch just now and I was petting her, getting her to purr. Then I sat down, waited a minute and she came to lay on my lap to cuddle. She was cuddling into me and purring for almost 20 minutes. That's an improvement, right? She's slowly warming up to me. I get what you're saying about not punishing the cat by returning her to the shelter, but I think I'll keep her for a while longer to see where things go for the time being, you know what I mean? Besides... my adoption contract I signed at the shelter when I adopted Tammy states that: "in the event that I give up ownership of my cat, that it must return to the shelter and go through the adoption process again, and CANNOT be passed onto someone else without first going through the adoption process." And even if my grandparents had Tammy, and I wanted to get another kitten/cat, that wouldn't be wise in my opinion. If it ever came to the point where Tammy had to go back, and I wanted to get another cat, I'll probably wait till I get a note from the psychiatrist that will give me the ability to get social assistance to give me living allowance, and get my own place. I'm currently not able to work due to mental illness. Anyway... Regardless, I was quite surprised when Tammy came onto my lap tonight before bed literally 20 minutes ago, and was cuddled into me for almost 20 minutes. Making progress, right?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mike, she seems pretty normal in the videos, she was even purring on your lap. Cats aren't like dogs, they don't like to be by our side all the time, they like to go do their own thing. One thing I noticed though, is I don't think Tammy liked the finger in her face and touching her whiskers, cats don't really like their whiskers to bump into anything. That was the point when she walked away. Other than that, she seems to love you.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And in that one video where she walked away and went and laid down on the chair, I think she was just tired and wanted a nap because she yawned like 5 times.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mike,
When I read your post this morning it made me quite sad. I hope you said you are thinking about returning Tammy to the shelter out of frustration and aren't serious. I would be very sad to know she was returned to life at a shelter simply because she isn't showing the affection you want her to. I have 5 cats. One is my little shadow and always with me, two show a decent amount of affection, one shows it when he feels like it and the 5th ignores me as if I don't exist. But you know what, I love them ALL the same. I know they are happy, and knowing they are happy is what makes me happy. They are cats, they will show affection when they want or need to. I think it is fantastic she has developed a relationship with your grandparents. As I have mentioned before, cats like stability and do not like change. Your grandparents have been a constant for her, which should be regarded as a wonderful thing. I also agree with the others-cats whiskers are very sensitive and that is probably why she walked away. Cats also get tired, bored, agitated easily. All normal behavior. I consider cats to be a blessing and it is my honor to be their guardian. I hope you can come to feel that way too.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mike,
When I read your post this morning it made me quite sad. I hope you said you are thinking about returning Tammy to the shelter out of frustration and aren't serious. I would be very sad to know she was returned to life at a shelter simply because she isn't showing the affection you want her to. I have 5 cats. One is my little shadow and always with me, two show a decent amount of affection, one shows it when he feels like it and the 5th ignores me as if I don't exist. But you know what, I love them ALL the same. I know they are happy, and knowing they are happy is what makes me happy. They are cats, they will show affection when they want or need to. I think it is fantastic she has developed a relationship with your grandparents. As I have mentioned before, cats like stability and do not like change. Your grandparents have been a constant for her, which should be regarded as a wonderful thing. I also agree with the others-cats whiskers are very sensitive and that is probably why she walked away. Cats also get tired, bored, agitated easily. All normal behavior. I consider cats to be a blessing and it is my honor to be their guardian. I hope you can come to feel that way too.
It was said out of frustration, sorry. I 've been dealing with a lot, and having a cat that isn't as affectionate as she once was when I first brought her to my home is frustrating too. =/ I'm not gonna return her to the shelter. She was laying on the couch at like 4am this morning and I was petting her, getting her to purr. Then I sat down, waited a minute and she came to lay on my lap to cuddle. She was cuddling into me and purring for almost 20 minutes. That's an improvement, right? I guess she's slowly warming back up to me.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mike, she seems pretty normal in the videos, she was even purring on your lap. Cats aren't like dogs, they don't like to be by our side all the time, they like to go do their own thing. One thing I noticed though, is I don't think Tammy liked the finger in her face and touching her whiskers, cats don't really like their whiskers to bump into anything. That was the point when she walked away. Other than that, she seems to love you.
I get what you're saying, but I don't think you truly and carefully watched through those videos. And if you were reading my previous comments on this thread recently, you'd know that sometimes if I even look at my cat while she's wanting to get into my room to use the litter box she will freeze, look at me, and turn the other way.

It's whatever anyway, because it seems she's starting to slowly warm back up to me, regardless.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, well I was just trying to help you think of ideas since you asked for help. Good luck then, I wish you and Tammy the best...

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was said out of frustration, sorry. I 've been dealing with a lot, and having a cat that isn't as affectionate as she once was when I first brought her to my home is frustrating too. =/ I'm not gonna return her to the shelter. She was laying on the couch at like 4am this morning and I was petting her, getting her to purr. Then I sat down, waited a minute and she came to lay on my lap to cuddle. She was cuddling into me and purring for almost 20 minutes. That's an improvement, right? I guess she's slowly warming back up to me.
I'm relieved to know it was a comment out of frustration. Just be patient with her and try to feel joy and happiness that she is comfortable with your grandparents. Just love and accept her for the way she is. Unconditional love. It's what all living things want and deserve. :itslove:

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm relieved to know it was a comment out of frustration. Just be patient with her and try to feel joy and happiness that she is comfortable with your grandparents. Just love and accept her for the way she is. Unconditional love. It's what all living things want and deserve. :itslove:
Yeah I'm doing my best. Like in the last 2 days Tammy has been affectionate at random times throughout the day, as I stated in my other comment recently. (e.g. me sitting on the couch and her coming over onto my lap, me sitting on the floor and she doing the same as couch.)

UPDATE: Before my walk earlier yesterday, I came out of the bathroom and Tammy was laying down waiting for me to come out. (she was doing what I call the "cat-loaf" Lol!) I was petting her, sat down with my legs crossed, she proceeded to cuddle into me and nuzzle against my hands. You think she's slowly warming up to me?

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'm doing my best. Like in the last 2 days Tammy has been affectionate at random times throughout the day, as I stated in my other comment recently. (e.g. me sitting on the couch and her coming over onto my lap, me sitting on the floor and she doing the same as couch.)

UPDATE: Before my walk earlier yesterday, I came out of the bathroom and Tammy was laying down waiting for me to come out. (she was doing what I call the "cat-loaf" Lol!) I was petting her, sat down with my legs crossed, she proceeded to cuddle into me and nuzzle against my hands. You think she's slowly warming up to me?
Of course she is.:catrub::lovecat:.

Last edited:

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Sure sounds like it! Good deal.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your kind words. I really do appreciate that. Maybe you're right; maybe me leaving for extended periods of time (twice recently) caused her confusion, but it's very concerning to me how she can switch back and fourth between being somewhat affectionate (like I said in my post today) to being withdrawn/afraid of me. =/
That's just how cats can be.