Need An Opinion Please!

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there. I adopted my female cat from the local SPCA cat shelter last Monday, and she seems to be doing fairly great so far. This is my first pet ever, so I'll explain how I'm raising my new cat, and you tell me if I'm doing okay please? So she's about 2 years old. She's already been spayed, had her shots and vaccinations, as well as deworming. She really sweet, affectionate, and not rambunctious like most cats would be. She lays down a lot, so I've learned that she loves it when I use a laser pointer and some long string as a method of exercising. She'll always be a indoors cat by the way. I'm still trying to get our daily routine down pat, and so far I think it's going decently well. I feed her small sized servings of Purina Friskies dry cat food, and from time to time, some wet food too. Over the past few days I've put some water on the dry food and she really seems to like it. Now, at first I was worried about her not getting the proper amount of exercise, and then worrying that she'll get overweight. So instead of filling up her food bowl to the top with dry cat food, I just put a little bit in so she doesn't splurge and overeat. She doesn't seem to be the type of cat that just sits and chows down on her food anyway. Basically, she just nibbles every now and then throughout the day/night. Another thing that she does is follow me into the kitchen, and just meow A LOT; almost like she is expecting to get some special food or something. Also, I keep her water bowl in my room because she was more interested/tempted in eating her food instead of drinking her water when it was next to the food bowl. (I also make sure she always has water and even make sure it's cold.) She's really loved here at my place, and I'm very kind towards her. She's loves to laze around the house, and I even gave her a nice cushion to lay on. (it's on the foot of my bed closest to my bedroom window so she's also able to see what's going on outside when ever she wants.) I make sure that her litter box is scooped out throughout the day, and clean/dump out the litter box at least once a week. (I use the Special Kitty clumping litter by the way.) I just would like to know if so far I'm doing a good job at raising my new cat, that's all. There is this weird thing that she does that kinda concerns me, so I'd like to get your opinion on that as well, if you don't mind. So in between my bed and the wall, there's enough space to get between. Sometimes my cat will randomly go in between there, and then just bolts out of my bedroom like she was frightened or something. Is this normal? Is she just burning off pent up energy from laying around all day/night? Or is it simply because she hears/sees something that I can't see/hear? Hope to hear back from you!

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Mike89 Mike89 ,
IMG_2688.GIF
to TCS :wave3:

Thank you for adopting this kitty.

What you've been doing for now is pretty good. Playing with her sure help her burn off some fats.

As she's spayed, her energy level is lowered as in not as active. And now for her food, she's eating as and when is because you are free feeding her therefore she dosen't sit and eat like other cats and eats throughout the day whenever she likes.

Following you around means she likes your company and meowing is like having a conversation with you. She could be a little chatty somhave some conversations with her all the time.

Like I mentioned, you are doing very good!

As for the space between the bed and wall, sometimes I guess it's that some noise or sight that might have triggered her to bolt out. But as long as she does not go into hiding after that and still behave as normal, I wouldn't be concern. It's just a cat thing.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and do check out the informative Article and Forum pages and also do introduce yourself and your kitty to the community here in New Cats on the Block and do post more photos of your kitty :wink:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you play with her using the laser pointer, don't just turn it off. Make sure to throw something down and lead the pointer to it and shut it off. A treat or toy would be awesome.
Cats love the chase, but they need to catch 'the prey' at the end of the session or they can get frustrated. (and take it out on you)

Forgot to mention, She is beautiful

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Mike89 Mike89 , View attachment 186312 to TCS :wave3:

Thank you for adopting this kitty.

What you've been doing for now is pretty good. Playing with her sure help her burn off some fats.

As she's spayed, her energy level is lowered as in not as active. And now for her food, she's eating as and when is because you are free feeding her therefore she dosen't sit and eat like other cats and eats throughout the day whenever she likes.

Following you around means she likes your company and meowing is like having a conversation with you. She could be a little chatty somhave some conversations with her all the time.

Like I mentioned, you are doing very good!

As for the space between the bed and wall, sometimes I guess it's that some noise or sight that might have triggered her to bolt out. But as long as she does not go into hiding after that and still behave as normal, I wouldn't be concern. It's just a cat thing.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and do check out the informative Article and Forum pages and also do introduce yourself and your kitty to the community here in New Cats on the Block and do post more photos of your kitty :wink:
Oh my God! Thank you so very much for your kind words, and hasty reply! I really do appreciate that! :D I'm glad you agree that I'm doing a very good job at taking care of my cat. That means a lot! :) At first I bought a cat wand (with a feather-like object at the end), and some balls (with bells in them) for my cat, but she didn't really respond to them. As I said, she certainly does enjoy her laser pointer and I found out last night that she loves loose string. So I've been using that! As soon as I discovered her loving string, it made me so very happy as a new pet owner! :D She's such a sweetheart, and very affectionate too! Most times she'll jump onto my lap and I pet her. Other times she will either lay on my dresser near my computer desk or right in front of my computer monitor! It's so adorable! :) I know what I'm doing is free feeding, but I make sure not to put A LOT in her food bowl so there's no chance of her splurging out on food, and possibly gaining weight. Yeah I kinda figured that's what my cat is doing when ever she follows me out into the kitchen, I just wanted to make sure, that's all. :) I often talk back to her and it's adorable because it's like we're having a conversation with each other. Hehehehe! :) And no she doesn't go into hiding when she does that weird thing and bolts out of my bedroom. She comes back, and sometimes it happens again. Cats are strange creatures anyway, so I knew that would possibly be a given. ;)

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you play with her using the laser pointer, don't just turn it off. Make sure to throw something down and lead the pointer to it and shut it off. A treat or toy would be awesome.
Cats love the chase, but they need to catch 'the prey' at the end of the session or they can get frustrated. (and take it out on you)

Forgot to mention, She is beautiful
Thanks for your reply! Yes I know the proper way to use a laser pointer as a method of playing with cats! :) When I was with my ex, or even with other ex-friends, they'd have pets and I'd look after them if they had to go out somewhere. I love playing with cats. I've always wanted a cat of my own. Also getting a cat will be beneficial to my mental health as a way to self-soothe, if you know what I mean. I'm single, got no friends, so I wanted companionship. :) She's super affectionate and I love her to pieces! I always make sure she's well fed, and even make sure the water in her bowl is cold. And thanks for saying that she's beautiful by the way! I appreciate that! :D At the moment she's just chilling on my dresser while I'm sitting at the computer desk. She's so cute! :)
My Snapshot.jpg

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And now for her food, she's eating as and when is because you are free feeding her therefore she dosen't sit and eat like other cats and eats throughout the day whenever she likes.
So as long as I make sure not to put A LOT in her food bowl so there's no chance of her splurging out on food, and possibly gaining weight, is it still okay to leave her dry food out for her to eat throughout the day though? Also, I forgot to mention that I give her these Temptations cat treats that are good for her teeth. And is there any other way to make sure her teeth are in good condition or do I just take her to the vet? I haven't had her for long so I don't think I need to go to the vet anytime soon. It's at least every 6 months, right?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Food left out long will attract bacteria and you don't want your kitty to fall sick. Always have fresh food and water. Best is to have scheduled feeds unless you don't have the luxury of time to do it.

Wet food is much better than dry food and dry food does not clean teeth. The only way to clean a cat's teeth is by brushing.

Have she been to the vet for all her vaccinations or are her vaccinations up to date? Best is to check with the vet when must she return for he check ups.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Food left out long will attract bacteria and you don't want your kitty to fall sick. Always have fresh food and water. Best is to have scheduled feeds unless you don't have the luxury of time to do it.

Wet food is much better than dry food and dry food does not clean teeth. The only way to clean a cat's teeth is by brushing.

Have she been to the vet for all her vaccinations or are her vaccinations up to date? Best is to check with the vet when must she return for he check ups.
I guess i should've been more specific, and said that at the end of the day I throw out what's left in her bowl and put new stuff in it early morning for her. Just about every 2 hours I put new fresh cold water in her bowl too by the way. :) Also, I sometimes add water to her dry food to give her extra moisture and flavor, and I still give it wet food just about every day, so there's always variety in terms of what she can eat. I always make sure not to give her so much wet food that it goes to waste, and I always refrigerate what I don't use. So I should give her small portions of either dry or wet food in the morning, evening, and before bedtime if I were to do meal methods throughout the day/night? Unfortunately, I don't know how to brush an animals' teeth. So do you have any suggestions (where I'm a new pet owner) to brush her teeth? Please and thank you! :) I do give her these Temptations cat treats that say they're designed for good oral health. Well I only adopted my cat from the shelter last Monday (not Monday past) and the shelter said that her spaying, vaccinations, shots, de-worming, etc etc, were already all taken care of. I'm picking up my cat's files tomorrow with all her information on there. They had to find it cause they were really busy. So I'm not exactly sure when the last time my cat has been to the vet or when the next time she has to go for a check up. Do you know how often a cat is supposed to be seen for regular check ups by the way? And (this is a really noob question) do cats have to be re-vaccinated and everything even if they had all that done before? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to know as much as I can to take proper care of my cat, that's all! I'm really glad that you find that I'm taking real good care of my cat so far by the way! :)

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you are doing a marvelous job with your new (and flipping gorgeous:lovecat4:) girl!!!

She looks like THE sweetest kitty in those pics!
I keep food out for mine and it's served them wonderfully. Mine aren't gluttonous though but I know some can be lol ;). Of course keeping it changed out (like you are) is necessary when free feeding them as to keep everything fresh :sheep: (lol).

As far as your question regarding shots, it's not a noob question at all actually. It's a very good one, and a conflicting one at that. Since you said your cat will be a strictly indoor cat and she's had all her vaccines, and worming , the only necessities from here are flea prevention (yep, even if she's strictly indoor) and heart worm. Rabies is a once every 3-5 years thing with strictly indoor cats. That is as long as she's had her first rabies shot, if not, get that done soon, (or at least that's the general census). With cats usually a once a year well check up (if even that) is sufficient unless she becomes ill.

I hope I helped answer some or most of your questions. You've found a wonderful forum to help you throughout you and your sweet new kitty's relationship :grouphug:.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Adding water to dry food is worse if she doesn't finish it. Wetting dry food and leaving it out and not finishing at one sitting,bacteria will multiply even faster.

Better to add water to wet food and at least wet food stays out a little longer than dry.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you are doing a marvelous job with your new (and flipping gorgeous:lovecat4:) girl!!!

She looks like THE sweetest kitty in those pics!
I keep food out for mine and it's served them wonderfully. Mine aren't gluttonous though but I know some can be lol ;). Of course keeping it changed out (like you are) is necessary when free feeding them as to keep everything fresh :sheep: (lol).

As far as your question regarding shots, it's not a noob question at all actually. It's a very good one, and a conflicting one at that. Since you said your cat will be a strictly indoor cat and she's had all her vaccines, and worming , the only necessities from here are flea prevention (yep, even if she's strictly indoor) and heart worm. Rabies is a once every 3-5 years thing with strictly indoor cats. That is as long as she's had her first rabies shot, if not, get that done soon, (or at least that's the general census). With cats usually a once a year well check up (if even that) is sufficient unless she becomes ill.

I hope I helped answer some or most of your questions. You've found a wonderful forum to help you throughout you and your sweet new kitty's relationship :grouphug:.
Thanks so much for your incredibly kind words! :) I really do appreciate it! Awww! Yeah my cat is definitely a really gorgeous and sweet cat for sure! :D I've always wanted a cat of my own. I've went through a lot in the last few years alone, so I've done my research online and found out that getting a cat (or any pet in general) will be beneficial to my mental health as a way to self-soothe, if you know what I mean. I'm single, got no friends, so I wanted companionship. Plus I just simply LOVE and adore cats to begin with anyway! :D

Exactly! I try to make sure that there's always enough food in her food bowl, but not so much that she'll be able to splurge and become overweight. :) What I've been trying to get into the habit of doing now is with the small amount of dry food I put in her bowl, I divide that into 2 piles in her bowl: one side would have 100% dry food, and the other side would have dry food with water added to it to give it some flavor AND to provide additional moisture for my cat. She seems to really love the dry food with added water so far! :)

I think my cat also had the flea and heart worm treatment done at the same time of getting everything else I mentioned done before I adopted her. I'm not 100% sure on the heart worm and rabies aspect, but as soon as I pick up my cat's files at the local cat shelter tomorrow hopefully I'll have all that information available to me right away. :)

Yes, thanks so very much for answering all my questions and giving me advice! :D My cat and I both really appreciate that! I've only adopted her over a week ago (it'll be exactly 2 weeks this upcoming Monday by the way), but I already love her so very much. I can't imagine my life without her now that she makes me so very happy! :) She's very special to me! Also, I created a photo album on Facebook with photos of my cat. If anyone wants updates on my cat, and see how she's doing, then here's the link to her photo album. (and it doesn't matter if you're my friend on Facebook or not; the shareable link is public and even those without a Facebook account can view the page.) (My new kitty! ❤ | Facebook)

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Adding water to dry food is worse if she doesn't finish it. Wetting dry food and leaving it out and not finishing at one sitting,bacteria will multiply even faster.

Better to add water to wet food and at least wet food stays out a little longer than dry.
I keep forgetting to be specific. My bad! I get what you're saying though. It's true that I do sometimes add water to my cat's dry food, but it's a very small amount of dry food that is divided from the amount I give her, so she's usually able to finish the side with water added in a short amount of time. Also, from what I've been reading online about the duration you're able to leave out wet food, it says a maximum of 30 minutes or it has to be thrown out due to growing bacteria. =/ Is that true? Plus somewhere online says that it's okay to add a tiny bit of water to dry food. This is why it confuses me when there's so many conflicting opinions from so many people. It makes it harder for me to make a decision sometimes.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It ok if she finishes the food in a short amount of time. If it's a cool weather, still not so bad but if weather is hot then it's worse but in any case, better not to keep it out too long.

As for the wet food, some say an hour and some longer. As wet food left out long will turn dry and of course will not taste fresh and probably your kitty won't eat it too.

I don't free feed my boy. He's only on wet food. And if he does not eat when he's served, I keep the food and wrap tight with catering film and keep it for later when he wants to eat. Same goes for opened cans after scooping the amount for him and I don't refrigerate the food and and use it for the next meal that could be like 6-10 hours later sometimes.

But I guess it's safer for wet food out longer since it's already cooked. But different people have different thoughts on this.

Here are some threads on this discussion and maybe you can draw your own conclusion to what is best for your kitty :-

How long can wet cat food stay out
Leaving wet food out for long periods of time.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are doing great with your cat, being a first-time pet owner! :clap:

I am one of those, though, with the opinion that adding water to dry food is just putting out a welcome mat for bacteria, and is probably not the best idea. Much better to have water from a water dish or fountain, and you can also add some water to wet food, as another poster suggested. I usually have my cat finish her food within 30 minutes or an hour to decrease any chances of bacteria, too.
:hearthrob:

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It ok if she finishes the food in a short amount of time. If it's a cool weather, still not so bad but if weather is hot then it's worse but in any case, better not to keep it out too long.

As for the wet food, some say an hour and some longer. As wet food left out long will turn dry and of course will not taste fresh and probably your kitty won't eat it too.

I don't free feed my boy. He's only on wet food. And if he does not eat when he's served, I keep the food and wrap tight with catering film and keep it for later when he wants to eat. Same goes for opened cans after scooping the amount for him and I don't refrigerate the food and and use it for the next meal that could be like 6-10 hours later sometimes.

But I guess it's safer for wet food out longer since it's already cooked. But different people have different thoughts on this.

Here are some threads on this discussion and maybe you can draw your own conclusion to what is best for your kitty :-

How long can wet cat food stay out
Leaving wet food out for long periods of time.
Okay thanks for the help. So I should give her small portions of either dry or wet food in the morning, evening, and before bedtime if I were to do meal methods throughout the day/night? Unfortunately, I don't know how to brush an animals' teeth. So do you have any suggestions (where I'm a new pet owner) to brush her teeth? Please and thank you! :) I do give her these Temptations cat treats that say they're designed for good oral health. And is there a way that I can give her both dry food as well as wet food? Or should I just switch her over to wet food? If so, what kind of wet food? I'm kinda iffy on switching over to only wet food, but I do give her wet food every day as well as dry food too. And I feed her Purina Friskies 7 dry cat food. Is that good?

Last edited:

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you are doing great with your cat, being a first-time pet owner! :clap:

I am one of those, though, with the opinion that adding water to dry food is just putting out a welcome mat for bacteria, and is probably not the best idea. Much better to have water from a water dish or fountain, and you can also add some water to wet food, as another poster suggested. I usually have my cat finish her food within 30 minutes or an hour to decrease any chances of bacteria, too.
:hearthrob:
It's true that I do sometimes add water to my cat's dry food, but it's a very small amount of dry food that is divided from the amount I give her, so she's usually able to finish the side with water added in a short amount of time. People are saying to switch over to only wet food, but I'm kinda iffy on that. Wondering if it's okay to feed my cat dry food as well as wet food daily? And I feed her Purina Friskies 7 dry cat food. Is that good? Also... CUTE KITTY ON MY DRESSER! :D She's so adorable!!! Hehehe!
My Snapshot_1.jpg

Last edited:

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Much better to have water from a water dish or fountain, and you can also add some water to wet food, as another poster suggested.
I had to move her water bowl away from her food bowl because she was more tempted to eat than to drink her water. After moving it into my bedroom (with the door open almost all day and night long) she drinks it more often. I read online that some cats are picky, and will not drink their water as often if it's near their food bowl.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Okay thanks for the help. So I should give her small portions of either dry or wet food in the morning, evening, and before bedtime if I were to do meal methods throughout the day/night? Unfortunately, I don't know how to brush an animals' teeth. So do you have any suggestions (where I'm a new pet owner) to brush her teeth? Please and thank you! :) I do give her these Temptations cat treats that say they're designed for good oral health. And is there a way that I can give her both dry food as well as wet food? Or should I just switch her over to wet food? If so, what kind of wet food? I'm kinda iffy on switching over to only wet food, but I do give her wet food every day as well as dry food too.
For a two year old, she shouldn't be eating much. Since this is your first cat, it's best to observe her eating habits, amounts and timing.

Some members here feed wet mostly and only dry for treats and some all wet, like me and some both.

If your kitty is on 100% wet, she'll be getting most of her water from the food as wet good is very high in moisture content around 75% as compared to dry which is like just about 10%. So if she's on just wet, she might not even drink water as she gets it from her wet food. But if you are afraid that she is not hydrated enough, you still can add some water to her wet food.
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?

You can get her to get used to scheduled feeds if you are taking free feeding off her. Like I mentioned earlier, observe her for a few days and you'll roughly know how much and how many times she needs to eat in a day.

Brushing of teeth is the best way to clean
How To Brush Your Cat's Teeth
Does Dry Food Actually Clean Your Cat's Teeth?