Nearing The End... Go Out With A Bang?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I was exactly where you were at the end of November with Trin. We decided to put him to sleep based on many factors, but none of them were major enough by themselves. He has probably Lymphoma, hated the daily meds, was not happy with the effects, wasn’t getting much better and started to exhibit extreme stress signs (peeing everywhere, fur loss on firearms due to chewing, stopped playing). It was time, but what bothered me most was what time? Could I give him extra hours? A day? Why 10 am, why not 11? In the end it’s about the love you demonstrate when choosing. I hated the feeling that I was solely responsible for when he passed, but that was right because I saved him an indignant death.

What we did on his last week was to spoil him. First we stopped the meds and he played harder than he ever had - leaping in the air and having so much fun. We fed him his favorite snack - chicken - every day and every time we thought of it. We gave him all the love and bed cuddles (but not enough to smother him and make it weird).

You know your cat best. You’ve lived with and loved him for so many years, trust what you know. If he likes new treats and adventure, do it. If he likes home and to be around his family, give him that. You know best because you love him best.

In the end, we had a vet come to the house for Trin. I was more expensive but he was surrounded by his loved ones and not in a sharp cold vet office. I really recommend it. I’m so sorry for your kitty.
I have actually called a local travelling vet that does at-home euthanasia, they had quoted me $550 tax incl. with private cremation (ashes returned) versus $450 tax incl. at the vet for the same service. The $100 to me isn't a big deal as she is my baby, the one problem is my wife is against doing it at home because she said she would be too afraid/hurt to go into that room again. I see both sides to this as well... it would suck going in there but I don't know...

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally didn’t feel too weird about it, although I entirley understand the other side. The most important thing is that the kitty is surrounded by family, not necessarily where.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't done an in-home but am considering it when the time comes. I have read reviews where the pet owners have commented that the vet/person made it a loving, almost ceremonial and peaceful situation.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't done an in-home but am considering it when the time comes. I have read reviews where the pet owners have commented that the vet/person made it a loving, almost ceremonial and peaceful situation.
That was exactly my experience. I expected the same type of person that I would find at an office - caring but an emotionally distant professional that was a bit busy. Instead she was a compassionate woman that spoke softly and let us take all the time in the world. She listened to Randall when he told her all the cats’ life stories (probably to put off the event a little), she let us take all the time and she assured us we were not choosing wrong. Even though I’m sure she was trained in grief and why to say, everything felt sincere and loving. It was a small light at a dark time.

That being said it was my first experience with euthenesia, so I had no idea what to normally expect.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
One 'negative' I read about doing an in-home versus at the clinic is "what will you do if a vet emergency arises during the process". This makes no sense to me because what kind of emergency would require you to be at a clinic when you're already putting them to sleep?

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
You're right, that's confusing. I'm not sure what that's about :dunno:
Found the page:
At-Home Pet Euthanasia: What to Consider

"The last thing that I want is for something to go wrong or some sort of catastrophic event that will make this event harder for the pet owner and their pet," Jones says."
:paranoid:

Edit:
Actually it says this right below:

"In someone's home, lighting may be poor and tables unstable. Drugs may not work as expected. The veterinarian may have trouble finding a vein, particularly in dehydrated or elderly animals. The pet could have a seizure."

But most of these a competent vet would already be aware of?

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Trin didn’t like the initial poke to make him sleepy, and when it happened he jumped up and ran around a bit before the drugs took effect and we pick him up and placed him on an ottoman. It was a little chaotic, and I assume in a vet’s office there is more staff and better ways to restrain them and this may have been less likely to happen there. But that was the only minor hickup, and we understood how animals can be unpredictable. Another person may have found that unbearable.

In the end I think he was more comfortable at home, and I will say it was nice not have to drive all the way home after.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Trin didn’t like the initial poke to make him sleepy, and when it happened he jumped up and ran around a bit before the drugs took effect and we pick him up and placed him on an ottoman. It was a little chaotic, and I assume in a vet’s office there is more staff and better ways to restrain them and this may have been less likely to happen there. But that was the only minor hickup, and we understood how animals can be unpredictable. Another person may have found that unbearable.

In the end I think he was more comfortable at home, and I will say it was nice not have to drive all the way home after.
That’s very sad to hear... yeah I definitely wouldn’t want to go through that and as much as it would pain me I would try my best to restrain her.

I agree about the driving... my wife and I talked about this the other day and yeah neither of us would be able to safely drive for a while.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
That’s very sad to hear... yeah I definitely wouldn’t want to go through that and as much as it would pain me I would try my best to restrain her.
Yeah, we both did try, but he was a big and strong lad - he just happened to squirm away. It was a little disturbing, but he quieted down so fast and then we could spend time with him while he was doped. But everyone is different and I could understand someone being very bothered by that.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Another thing to consider with at-home euthanasia is your other cats. It is helpful for them to see and sniff the body afterwards. It actually gives them some closure, or so I've read. Otherwise, they wonder where their little buddy is. Why did she leave in the carrier and never return :frown:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the one problem is my wife is against doing it at home because she said she would be too afraid/hurt to go into that room again.
This is what I started considering when it was time for my cat.
Would I have an at-home euthanasia? If yes, where in the house? Wouldn't the chosen spot haunt me forever?

Well, the answer in my case was "Yes" to an at-home euthanasia, because I didn't want my cat to be in a frightening place in her last minutes. I didn't want to stress her out with a long trip to the vet.
I wanted her to be in the place that she knew best, her home. In the spot she loved more, her corner on the couch.
And so it was. The vet arrived, checked on her, said it was time and asked us the permission (in the case we had changed our mind) to proceed. And all went rather smooth.

The spot that we chose isn't haunting me much. Yes, sometimes, when I sit next to that corner I happen to think about it, but it is nothing that ruins my life.

"In someone's home, lighting may be poor and tables unstable. Drugs may not work as expected. The veterinarian may have trouble finding a vein, particularly in dehydrated or elderly animals. The pet could have a seizure."

But most of these a competent vet would already be aware of?
You know your home.
Is there enough light?
Is your furniture stable and reliable?
If the vet is competent he/she will find the vein regardless the physical condition of the cat.
If the vet is competent he/she will come to your home with all the necessary to face the unexpected, including seizures.

In my case it was €70 for the at-home service, and €150 for the individual cremation and ashes returned in an urn on the same day (it took an hour for the cremation, from the arrival at the facility to the urn).

I'm so sorry for your cat. My cat had a cancer too, I know what it means, the pain, the smell, the medicines, the desperation...

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Today’s my first vacation day and we are having a nice day :). I gave her some fancy cat food and I am cleaning the room she is in to make it nice.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
This is what I started considering when it was time for my cat.
Would I have an at-home euthanasia? If yes, where in the house? Wouldn't the chosen spot haunt me forever?

Well, the answer in my case was "Yes" to an at-home euthanasia, because I didn't want my cat to be in a frightening place in her last minutes. I didn't want to stress her out with a long trip to the vet.
I wanted her to be in the place that she knew best, her home. In the spot she loved more, her corner on the couch.
And so it was. The vet arrived, checked on her, said it was time and asked us the permission (in the case we had changed our mind) to proceed. And all went rather smooth.

The spot that we chose isn't haunting me much. Yes, sometimes, when I sit next to that corner I happen to think about it, but it is nothing that ruins my life.

You know your home.
Is there enough light?
Is your furniture stable and reliable?
If the vet is competent he/she will find the vein regardless the physical condition of the cat.
If the vet is competent he/she will come to your home with all the necessary to face the unexpected, including seizures.

In my case it was €70 for the at-home service, and €150 for the individual cremation and ashes returned in an urn on the same day (it took an hour for the cremation, from the arrival at the facility to the urn).

I'm so sorry for your cat. My cat had a cancer too, I know what it means, the pain, the smell, the medicines, the desperation...
May I ask what type of cancer they had and how did you know it was time? So far I am leaning towards next weekend.

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May I ask what type of cancer they had and how did you know it was time? So far I am leaning towards next weekend.
My cat had an oral squamous cell carcinoma.
My story (well, her story) is quite long and took several pages in a thread in March 2017, she had highs and lows, many bad days and also many good days.
Many times I was sure it was the end, that I had to call someone home, but thanks God I waited and we had 3 months more together.

It was time when I saw she couldn't take it anymore. She had a E-tube applied two days earlier, and that tube was choking her. I was warned beforehand, the cancer had gone down her neck, and the E-tube would have made things harder for her.

I and my cat had a wonderful communication, each of us always knew what the other would need, she would answer my questions always, and there was never a doubt about her answers, a yes was a yes, a no was a no.
On that day I asked if she was tired and wanted to go, and she said "yes", I asked her several times, the answer was always the same, so I called the vet home.

Our ending with a bang, like you want to do with your cat, was a quick walk in the backyard, where she sat in front of the sun. She was blind in her last period of her life. So she couldn't see the sun, but could feel the warmth on her face. The birds were singing on the trees nearby. I asked her if she liked the birds, she said "yes", she stayed there for a minute or so, then she said she was tired and wanted to go back inside.
An hour later the vet arrived, and all was over, my life was over too.

I'm still crying after nearly 2 years :bawling:

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry I didn’t see the notification for this/lost amongst the others.

I’m glad she was able to feel the warmth of the sun, my sick kitty is the same. They have always loved the warmth and even sit on the radiator during the winter.

I am not sure if I will ever be alive again too. When my previous cat died a few years ago I went into deep depression and never came out... this will be yet another hit. I see it as losing a piece of my heart each time.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
An update on my sick kitty is... things are not well, she loves the special treatment via the food but her breathing seems faster/stronger than usual (but still 34 times a minutes). I am not sure she will even make it to next weekend..........