Nearing The End... Go Out With A Bang?

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, my apologies in advance if this is the incorrect place to post.

My cat is very sick and we are nearing the end and will have to euthanize her soon.

I was wondering what kind of ideas everyone has that we could do to go out with a bang. Like food wise what would be yummy... activities, etc.

She is still mobile and has a great appetite... the only thing I wouldn’t want to do with her is anything involving jumping as she has an ulcerating tumor.

I have been crying for a few days now non-stop and I relly just want to have some fun with her while we still can.

We live in Ontario, Canada if that helps with any of the suggestions.

Thank you...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, you have my heart!

Does she like cheddar cheese?
Does she like lettuce? (Seriously, there are cats that really like it :) )
Would she like mackerel?

Would she like going outdoors a little, like in a pet/baby carriage?

You're so fantastic to do this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the responses!

I've only ever fed her wet food + treats so I am not sure how she would fair with straight up cheese, lettuce, mackerel and squid. I know she loves fish flavoured wet food so it should be fine!

I went to PetSmart after posting this already in mind about going on a faraway trip and seeing the Atlantic ocean on the east coast (about a 20 hour drive). They had cute soft pet/taxis compared to her current plastic one. My only trouble would be finding hotels/motels that are pet friendly.

Although my finances are already very limited with the palliative/chemo care we tried for the past ~2 months, I want to do one big thing with her.

If I drive my car to the east coast and pay for a night or two of hotels it would be around $350 so that's manageable :). I think she would like a big forest instead of the ocean though, she has never liked the cold... so maybe we could go up to northern Ontario instead (assuming the winter hasn't hit it too bad). I am taking next week off from work and the gears are turning in my head... I am finally excited/happy about something after dreading for days... one final trip/adventure :).

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly think at this point in her life your cat would perfer to be at home surrounded by the things she knows. The new and the different even when it is good is frightening to cats. Yes, take the week off and spend it with her at home.

Perhaps it is just me, but when I'm taking any of mine to the vet even, I worry, what will happen if we're in an accident? Will the police call my family before just letting them go? Will they be taken to our vet (name and phone number is on the cat carrier, everyone is microchiped) or will they take them to the shelter? with a very sick cat I also worry about how long before some one realizes she is in pain and gives her something for it.

I'm sorry to suggest such things, but please consider that your cat will be happiest just having you all to herself in the place she knows best and feels safest.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Since it was Christmas I took last years vacation time off and we already spent the past 3 weeks at home. It was beyond depressing... but maybe not for her?

Her oncologist was a 2 hour drive away and she was perfectly fine for those trips.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why would it be depressing for her? She is in her safe place, the place of all her joys, and she is with you the being she loves better than anyone else. More you are home with her, not hurrying out. This is the greatest happiness an animal and many people can ever have, to be in a safe place with the one they love best. Hotels and sight seeing are nothing compared to that.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Why would it be depressing for her? She is in her safe place, the place of all her joys, and she is with you the being she loves better than anyone else. More you are home with her, not hurrying out. This is the greatest happiness an animal and many people can ever have, to be in a safe place with the one they love best. Hotels and sight seeing are nothing compared to that.
I've read in multiple articles when she was first diagnosed that cats can pick up on our emotions (and my wife and I were crying a lot). Even though we tried to not cry in front of her, but go into another room I am sure she could tell. They would not know that they have cancer but they see us crying for some reason.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True, but if you take her on a road trip she will be away from her safe place and you'll still be sad and crying and that will make it even more frightening as she tries to figure out what you and she are running from.

Try Furballsmom Furballsmom 's suggestions. They also make Rescue Remedy for people.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point I would feed her any tasty treat. Did she ever have a penchant for human food? French fries?? My cats love cheese, any fish and rotisserie chicken. For the rotisserie chicken we get a piece that's deep inside the chicken so it's not too seasoned. i concur with the others about staying home. If you have a yard I would try taking her outside depending on the water.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
At this point I would feed her any tasty treat. Did she ever have a penchant for human food? French fries?? My cats love cheese, any fish and rotisserie chicken. For the rotisserie chicken we get a piece that's deep inside the chicken so it's not too seasoned. i concur with the others about staying home. If you have a yard I would try taking her outside depending on the water.
She’s never really had human food, moreos because she was always denied as a kitten.

So like... I am having trouble deciding when to do the euthanizing. Like how does one pick a date? It feels wrong like I shouldn’t have this ‘power’ even if it is giving them relief. Do we have any articles here about that?

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Besides quality of life of course... I once read someone’s quote of “one week early is better than 1 hour late.”.... but that’s a lot of time.... I don’t want to lose a whole week.... I can’t lie and say I do not want to be selfish but I don’t want her in pain either... ugh.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless your heart, take a look at the article I posted just above, we were typing at the same time :)

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Take a look at the article I posted just above, we were typing at the same time :)
Thank you I gave it a read... one thing that bothers me is...

“What would I want done if I were in this situation“

If I had cancer I would probably want to be euthanized too... but that seems selfish since people around me wouldn’t want me to be. Also it is not currently possible for humans to have it done (Ontario at least).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's challenging, because if a person is still feeling decent, I think that not very many would make that choice.

But when things deteriorate and pain management is not able to handle it any longer, then quality of life isn't there and even the most selfless person struggles.