Name Three Things - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 , I use a small sharp scissors to cut out the mats. It is just the quickest least painful way to get them off of her. You, of course have to cut carefully but I have found that if I sort of pinch the mat and then cut through it to my finger there isn’t a risk of cutting her. After that I pick apart the small remainder of the mat that is nearest to her skin with my fingers and then go over her coat first with a wide comb that finds any mats I missed . Once the mats are all out it is on to the Furminator which thins out her coat and pulls out an enormous amount of fur. I have the Furminator for shorthair but really should get one for long hair since she is sort of in between with a very thick undercoat.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The small refrigerator is defrosted but I've decided not to try and store the repacked powdered milk in its little freezer. I will repack in bags (1 1/3 cup / bag as that makes up to a quart) and then place in plastic tub with tight seal and refrigerate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 , I use a small sharp scissors to cut out the mats. It is just the quickest least painful way to get them off of her. You, of course have to cut carefully but I have found that if I sort of pinch the mat and then cut through it to my finger there isn’t a risk of cutting her. After that I pick apart the small remainder of the mat that is nearest to her skin with my fingers and then go over her coat first with a wide comb that finds any mats I missed . Once the mats are all out it is on to the Furminator which thins out her coat and pulls out an enormous amount of fur. I have the Furminator for short hair but really should get one for long hair since she is sort of in between with a very thick undercoat.
What is this Furminator? I was using scissors that were too big. Once I cut her private area, she was bleeding a bit and cried. I felt so
bad.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
  • Doing throws now
  • Boxes
  • Tea
The walk to own on Wednesday did me in but I had to get out...supposed to reach 60 tomorrow!! Maybe I can read on the deck if I
rug up? I'll tell you what I'm not going to do is discuss COVID-19. Of course we should remain aware of what's going on and take the proper precautions but I don't want to think or talk about it constantly.

So what's up with all of you for the weekend?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My sister and BIL came in last night to pick up their English muffins and we had a nice chat. They were here for about an hour or so. It was a nice visit. Later on when Rick took The Beast out for her last pee of the night, it was snowing. Nothing stayed on the ground; it was too warm.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and I'm enjoying my morning coffee. I'll raise the blinds in the shed in a little while, then scoop the boxes.
  • The sound bar for the shed tv did come in yesterday. We have it hooked-up, but we have to do some minor adjusting and the get rid of the boxes, etc.
  • And really, today, I'm not planning on much of anything. It's supposed to be relatively sunny, but really windy. I don't think we're going to do much. House is vacuumed and swiffered, bathroom and kitchen are wiped down, laundry is finished til tomorrow morning, we're not grabbing groceries this coming week (other than cat food). I may spend the afternoon reading.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
What is this Furminator? I was using scissors that were too big. Once I cut her private area, she was bleeding a bit and cried. I felt so
bad.
The advantage of having a sewing hobby is that I have lots of sharp scissors. The ones I use are only around five inches long, very sharp and light. If you are looking for some look at Singer brand, little ones with pink on handle. Furminators are sold on Amazon or Ebay (cheapest) and they are a comb with a little blade built in that thins as you brush the cats fur. They sell different versions of them depending on whether your cat is short haired or long haired and in either wider or narrower versions. They don’t pull, they will cut out tiny mats and they really help keep new mats from starting.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
The advantage of having a sewing hobby is that I have lots of sharp scissors. The ones I use are only around five inches long, very sharp and light. If you are looking for some look at Singer brand, little ones with pink on handle. Furminators are sold on Amazon or Ebay (cheapest) and they are a comb with a little blade built in that thins as you brush the cats fur. They sell different versions of them depending on whether your cat is short haired or long haired and in either wider or narrower versions. They don’t pull, they will cut out tiny mats and they really help keep new mats from starting.
Thanks!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clear, sunny, quite windy and chilly day.

This morning I was up early to drive off and get to the hazardous waste disposal event at the county offices about 30 minutes before scheduled opening at 9:00 a.m. Must have been (guesstimate) 40 cars and pickup trucks ahead of me. Even though we were early they were working. I only had less than a dozen containers of paint, stains, crack sealer etc but still glad to get rid of them.

Was planning on gardening today but too dang cold.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One other thing Mia6 Mia6 about cutting out mats - I never do the whole mat in one cut because that would pull her skin and hurt her. Instead I take tiny snips of a thin amount of mat beginning at the top. She feels it less and I can always see where the scissor points are.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 said

I never do the whole mat in one cut because that would pull her skin and hurt her. Instead I take tiny snips of a thin amount of mat beginning at the top. She feels it less and I can always see where the scissor points are.

Ah! I've been doing it wrong. She would cry and try to bite me and I couldn't understand why because I didn't know
I was hurting her. I thought she just didn't like the scissors. Wowza, now I feel bad. Thank you for letting me know. I checked out the Furminator anad the one I need for Cal is pricey but I'll get one as soon as I can. :thumbsup:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
  • Boxes
  • Tea
  • WWF, went back to bed for a bit as I'd gotten up at 1:00am old time. Supposed to be in the 60s today! Will try to catch up on chores that I'm able to do.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure Rick will be working outside today, since we are to be in the 60s with a truly gorgeous spring day. I need to walk around the yard, picking up branches, and taking them up to the garden. We need to do a burn at some point.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am drinking my coffee. Rick stripped the bed and put the sheets in the washer. I'll need to raise the shed blinds and scoop the boxes in a few minutes.
  • I think I'll put all the snowmen away this morning, put the snowflake sheets and tablecloths away, and get some spring things out. I'm really hungry for spring, not that it's been a horribly bad winter or anything, just that I want to see some spring decor. Maybe some bunnies in the kitchen. The daffodils outside are budding now and the grass is really turning. It will soon be time to mow yard!
  • I'm going to sit on the shed deck with my African violets, re-potting two planters into six planters. It all depends on how windy it is. I need to do some house plant work and keep putting it off.
  • Outlander tonight!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, I didn't do everything I wanted to get done yesterday. I managed to do a quick vacuum, scoop the boxes, and wash some planters. But then the migraine hit and I spent the afternoon in bed. I still have it this morning, but (so far) it's not as bad as it was yesterday. We ended up with leftover tuna and noodles because I didn't make the pork I wanted to make. I am so tired of migraines, I could spit. I did get our snowmen put away and got some spring-y tablecloths out and I did 3 load of laundry.

Rick watched Outlander with me last night. We got the sound bar set up and wanted to adjust the subwoofer, so he came out with me. And then he got interested in the episode. I think that, at some point, he will end up sitting down and binge-watching the series. And even though I've seen every episode more than once, I'll watch them again with him.
  • Breakfast for the girls and am drinking my morning coffee. Rick emptied the dishwasher and will scoop the boxes.
  • I'll raise the shed blinds and (hopefully) will get those plants done today.
  • Rick wants to hit Lowes at some point today; while we're there, we'll hit the grocery store for cat food and water
And that will be our Monday.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Pam, how is the migraine? Gone I hope.

Boxes
Tea
Going to do some chores. Get caught up on sleep. My landlord worked on the apt, next door that was vacated last week, He put in new sinks, vanities, plumbing stuff and it was very loud. Saws, drills, etc. I sleep odd hours so this was going on when I was trying to sleep.
New helper begins on Thursday. Rainy today and in the 50s. Will pace myself with chores.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I still have it; I'm on the third day now. It's not as bad as it was, but my eyes are still bothering me. I'm starting to wonder if maybe this one might be sinus-related. All I know is I've about had enough of it now and it can go away. Thank you, Mia :hugs:

Rick had to go into work to sign up some new hires, both of whom never showed up. He was frustrated. When he left this morning, I went back to bed, was going to turn on the Weather Channel, but found an infomercial for the Foodi Grill and ended up watching that. It was kind of interesting to watch since we have a Grill and I'm always looking for new things to cook in it. The infomercial didn't have anything new to me; I'm better off checking out YouTube for ideas.

It's amazing how attitudes changed once one has retired. We used to get up every morning at 4:45 and thought nothing of it. Well, when the phone's alarm rang this morning, I looked over at Rick and said, "Why are we up at this ungodly hour?" We're now used to getting up around 6:30 or so!
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and went back to bed. Got back up later on and am drinking my coffee. It's a beautiful rainy morning. I need to raise the blinds in the shed. Rick will scoop at some time today.
  • I need to look at the African violets. I did get them all transplanted yesterday. I split up six plants into their containers. Then I looked at the leaves that were left and I hated to just throw them away. So I planted 12 leaves up (six to a pot), while I had the planters and the soil out. If all of the leaves sprout, I'm going to be begging people to PLEASE take some violets! Anyway, they're all in the bathroom for now, until tomorrow, when I'll take them back out to the shed. The two largest ones will go back on their table and the smaller ones will live on the shelf above the door. The leaves will go to the table for now, until I see how they survive. I'm worried about all of them. I talk to my plants, always say Good Morning! when I go out to the shed and check them out. Not only am I a crazy cat lady, but I'm also a crazy plant woman.
  • Rick and I are thinking about watching a couple episodes of Hilary on TV this afternoon, since it's a rainy day. It's either on Prime or Hulu, I forget which.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I knew someone who used to propagate African violets from leaves by covering a small glass jar with tin foil, making a slit, and inserting the leaf stem down into the water. They'd root, she'd lift up the foil and tear it away from the stem, then pot the young plants-to-be in a loose open mix.

And Himself claims it is not what you say to your plants. What's helpful is breathing carbon dioxide on them.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Himself C catapault . It is the carbon dioxide. But it makes me feel better to walk into the shed and say, "Good morning!" or "Hello everybody!" I pretty much say it every time I go in. This morning I was in there vacuuming and swiffering and arranging books. And I touched all the plants, told them I hoped they were doing well, and let it go at that. We brought the violets out, too, and got them into their places. I can't keep them in the bathroom because the cats are too curious.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Gym this morning. With all the extra meats and vegetables I have in the freezer and fridge I thought I probably should turn some of it into prepared meals that I can use for myself or my mom. After discovering that my box of freezer containers had mostly mismatched lids and containers I tossed them out and headed to the dollar store for usable ones. Of course you can’t go to the dollar store without coming out with a bunch of other stuff. One of the things I picked up was couple 32 oz boxes of chicken broth which I use a lot of for soups. The Swanson brand I usually buy are $3 a box, vs a dollar. Out of curiosity I compared ingredients and they were virtually identical except the Swanson brand had sugar in it while the dollar store brand didn’t. That’s a plus for the dollar. I am going to make some beef soup this week so we will see how the cheap stuff tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.